Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Revelation 16" Dobsonian

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Damo636

Damo636

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,882 posts
Interesting and shocking John! I for one was very surprised, as I was, and still am convinced I got an excellent example. In saying that though, I don't possess the skills to accurately analyse a mirrors figure, and have never looked through a scope with premium optics, but for less than £700, a scope that can show me the central star in M57, Sirius B and craterlets in Plato, it can't be all that bad :-)

Damo

Scopes 12" F5 Dobsonian
Binoculars Helios Apollo 20x110 & 15x70, Fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX

estwing

estwing

DOBFEST 3 R.T.T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • 3,478 posts
Double agent Damo...armed only with a tin of beans!! thats also why i held back and bought a custom ground mirror,cost a lot but quality is almost guaranteed

I've gotta Zeiss Telementor and i'm gonna use it!
15x70 Bins
Moonshane 18" F3.9 truss Dob John Nichol mirror OO hi lux coatings. Calvin.

Dobfest 3 Return to the hills!

Stargazer_00

Stargazer_00

Spaceball

• Advanced Members
  • 2,887 posts
What is the refiguring process? Can any mirror be refigured? Who does that in the UK?

Graham  -150p - AR90S - AZ4 -  TV Nagler Zoom 3-6 - TV Ethos 13  -  ES82 11, 18  - Meade 5000 UWA 24  - BGO 6 -

Damo636

Damo636

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,882 posts

Double agent Damo...armed only with a tin of beans!! thats also why i held back and bought a custom ground mirror,cost a lot but quality is almost guaranteed

Ah, but in the right hands, those beans have the potential to clear a room with one shot :-)

Damo

Scopes 12" F5 Dobsonian

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,670 posts
I'm sure you do have a good one Damo - those are tough challenges for a scope.

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that."

George Carlin (1937-2008)

estwing

estwing

DOBFEST 3 R.T.T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • 3,478 posts

Ah, but in the right hands, those beans have the potential to clear a room with one shot :-)

...err don't like the smell/sound of that!
  • Damo636 likes this

15x70 Bins

Damo636

Damo636

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,882 posts

What is the refiguring process? Can any mirror be refigured? Who does that in the UK?

John Nichol does it and will test the mirror free beforehand...

http://www.nicholopt...ree testing.htm
  • Stargazer_00 likes this

Damo

Scopes 12" F5 Dobsonian

estwing

estwing

DOBFEST 3 R.T.T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • 3,478 posts
he did a mirror grinding demo at last years PSP.

15x70 Bins

cs1cjc

cs1cjc

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 669 posts
There are independent reports on a few GSO Newtonian mirrors.

Two GSO 16": http://translate.goo...2NKwg#post37905

Meade 12" (GSO made?): http://www.airylab.f... 2010-47001.pdf
Chris C

OO UK 350 f/4.6 Dob, OO UK 200 f/4.5 on GP2, Equinox 120 on AOK AYO, IKI 70ED on Porta Mini

vlebo

vlebo

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 755 posts

I asked the guy on the phone this moring and he said its RMS. I said I expected the mirror to be around 1/4 PV and he agreed it probably was or possible a bit more (sales pitch I guessed).

He said GSO has come a long way in producing consistant quality the last few years. Didn't once indicated this was a relaunch of an old design.

I asked about shrouds enchroaching on the light patch and he said he didn't know. Only that there wasn't one on the market designed for this scope 'yet'.

anyway, I'll give it a poke and a push on the 18th, get some photos probably.

bit miffed that I phoned most of the major suppliers and not one of them is bringing a 350p flextube. It's like this scope doesn't exist, i swear. no one is interested in bringing it, even Skywatcher themselves aren't taking one. It's hilarious. It should be called "the dodo scope"

I agree . I have been trying to look at one for ages .Considering the Dob is probably Skywathers biggest selling scope in the UK I am surprised they are not trying to push the larger aperture versions more.

Edited by vlebo, 10 May 2013 - 06:38 AM.

• Stargazer_00 likes this
Helios Quantum 4 20 X 90 some Pentax Eyepieces and currently in the market for a new scope.

Stargazer_00

Stargazer_00

Spaceball

• Advanced Members
  • 2,887 posts
I think 14" sits in a bit of a niche. Most people have 12" so they flog that to death, no doubt there will be 12" on every stand.

Then when people upgrade they look at the 14" and think, well I'm unlikely to be able to carry that easily and may need to get a sack truck. So I might as well get a 16".

And so all the stands will be sporting 16" as well.

I still really want a 14" as i think a 16" will need a step ladder and the 14" will not. I'll soon know once I see one in the flesh though. I'm starting to think if I do buy a 14" that the massive lack of marketing and push combined with the assumed resultant low sales would probably mean the scope I get shipped from OVL could have been made years ago and would be old, although unused, before I even got it.

Graham  -150p - AR90S - AZ4 -  TV Nagler Zoom 3-6 - TV Ethos 13  -  ES82 11, 18  - Meade 5000 UWA 24  - BGO 6 -

Stargazer_00

Stargazer_00

Spaceball

• Advanced Members
  • 2,887 posts
Although of course I might get to the IAS and realise a 12" is perfect for me and just get one of those. There must be a reason why most people get to 12" and stop.

vlebo

vlebo

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 755 posts
The closest I have got to seeing a 16" is here Looks like we are both after the same thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG8nOMGb3q4

This is what I am looking at but would like to see one in the flesh first

http://www.firstligh.../action/basket/

Edited by vlebo, 10 May 2013 - 09:15 AM.

Helios Quantum 4 20 X 90 some Pentax Eyepieces and currently in the market for a new scope.

Stargazer_00

Stargazer_00

Spaceball

• Advanced Members
  • 2,887 posts
Well if I do buy one it will be in the next 40 days or so. Once I have it there will no longer be a vacuum of information about the 350p I'll make sure to post a video and write an extensive review and usage report.

Edited by Stargazer_00, 10 May 2013 - 09:47 AM.

Mark at Beaufort

Mark at Beaufort

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 3,630 posts
I had the pleasure of looking through Luke and Sarah's 16" Skywatcher Dob at the SGL8 starparty. Yes its big and I am 5'11" and needed steps to look through the EP when the scope was pointing towards the zenith. In saying that the views of M81, M82 etc and the Horsehead nebula were fantastic.

Yes I would like one but the reality is I could not really move it the 30 metres to the end of my garden by myself. If I upgraded from my 10" Dob I would go for a quality 12" with 1/6th wave or better mirror. I have also seen the 14" Skywatcher Dob which FLO brought to a star party. Again its large and I don't think the base would go through my garage doorway.

Notwithstanding I am still looking forward to viewing what is on display at the IAS next week. I will be wearing my SGL black shirt - say hello if you see me - I am going on Friday.

Mark

Mark

Messier list - 110/110 (complete) - Caldwell list - 62/67 - limit in UK - O'Meara's Hidden Treasurers - 84/87 - limit in UK
Herschel 400 - 394/400 - www.deepskywatch.com - 414/598(UK)  (Quasars - 1)   (Supernovae - 7)  (Nova - 1)  (Lunar 100 - 85/100) Double stars - Sissy Haas book by constellation - (Brightest Planetary Nebulae 33/41  - new venture Oct/2013)  (Comets since 2007 - 10)  (Venus Transit - 2 (UK + USA) -  (Mercury Transit - 1 (UK)  (Total Solar Eclipse - 1 (Turkey) - Annular Solar Eclipse - 2 (Spain + USA)

Observing/equipment secretary - Herefordshire Astronomical Society - website link - https://sites.google.com/site/hsastro/home

Stargazer_00

Stargazer_00

Spaceball

• Advanced Members
  • 2,887 posts

I have also seen the 14" Skywatcher Dob which FLO brought to a star party. Again its large and I don't think the base would go through my garage doorway.

I am intending to take it apart and build it each time i use the scope. It looks like it's designed for this purpose and I've read it takes about 5 minutes to take apart and rebuild.

It would go through my shed door too, I measured it, so another option would be to cart the entire assesmely around on a sack truck.

My only concern really is the eyepiece height. Im 6 foot.

Moonshane

Moonshane

Have I ever mentioned that I like dobs?

• Global Mods
  • 16,137 posts
there's a substantial change in size between 12" and 16"
http://stargazerslou...art-to-get-big/

Don't think, feel! It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon.

Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory. Do you understand?

(Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon)

It applies to eyepieces too

Messier 94/110 NGC 186/7836 Caldwell 23/109 Herschel 91/400 (non NGC) IC 1/179 Collinder 93/471 Stock 3/24 Melotte 32/245 Trumpler 1/37 Best 700 183/700 Cambridge showcase double stars 42/111 (123) (133) Lunar 66/100 Comets 7 Planets Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune

Stargazer_00

Stargazer_00

Spaceball

• Advanced Members
  • 2,887 posts
the 16 next to the 6F5 is hilarious. I nearly spat my lunch out :D

awesome!

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,670 posts
Shanes 16" is about as compact as a scope of that aperture can get too. Both the 14" and 16" Skywatcher dobs look pretty immense to my eyes when I've seen them up close. Wheely bars are a good way to move these large scopes around though.

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that."

George Carlin (1937-2008)

cs1cjc

cs1cjc

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 669 posts
I can just about move the 14" F/4.6 Orion Optics UK dob by myself but I cannot carry it up or down stairs, so to or from the house safely. This limits my use of it, because SWMBO has to be up or got up to help me carry it back in after a session. Further she is not keen on going out into the cold to handlle aluminium which is sometimes coated with frost...
Chris C

OO UK 350 f/4.6 Dob, OO UK 200 f/4.5 on GP2, Equinox 120 on AOK AYO, IKI 70ED on Porta Mini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users