Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opticstar ED80S

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this scope:

http://www.opticstar...p?p=0_10_1_1_10

It seems like a good deal, with the case included, CNC rings, dual speed Crayford etc.

Anyone had a look through one?

Ant

Hi Ant,

I only hace an opticstar AR90 s gold, it is not an ED, I can say that as far as build quality is concerned it is simply excellent. the focuser is fully screwed in to tube rather than been fixed with bolts in to the tube and the whole scope feels solid and well built, I believe that it has PL 53 Ohara glass as opposed to the SW ed PL 51 so the colour correction should theoretically be better, I am very happy with the 90 mm achro that I have. If the ED Performs on the same level then it should be OK for the price.

Regards,

A.G

Hi A.G.

Thanks - the build quality sounds excellent! I was however under the impression that the majority, if not all, of the Synta sourced ED80 objectives use an element of fpl-53 in their construction.

Notwithstanding that, a good scope is a good scope - the proof of the pudding is in the eye of the beholder... or something ;)

This is only one option - I'm keeping an eye (with no pudding in it) open for other choices too.

Thanks!

Ant

Hi A.G.

Thanks - the build quality sounds excellent! I was however under the impression that the majority, if not all, of the Synta sourced ED80 objectives use an element of fpl-53 in their construction.

Notwithstanding that, a good scope is a good scope - the proof of the pudding is in the eye of the beholder... or something ;)

This is only one option - I'm keeping an eye (with no pudding in it) open for other choices too.

Thanks!

Ant

Hi Ant,

The ED 80 Evostar and the 80 Equinox have the 51 glass, I have an SW ED 100 that I bought from FLO, great price and service, and this one has the 53 glass. I know the guys from the Opticstar shop in Sale, Manchester and they are top guys, they have tried very hard in vain to stop me wasting my money but no success. They also have a full range of the SW and Mead stuff and they are OK to deal with. I actually bought a second hand Altair Astro ED80 Starwave from another vendor last month and found out that the Crayford focuser was no good. I replaced the bearings and so on, so sometimes it is better to pay a few quid extra and get something solid and new. Now I have to worry about spending some more money on an HEQ5 pro.

Regards and clear Skies.

A.G

The HEQ-5 class mounts are brilliant - you'll love it if you get one!

Sorry to harp on about the glass, but I've had several ED80 f7.5s and they all had fpl-53. The current range of ED80s also does: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-ota.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/equinox/skywatcher-equinox-80-apo-pro-ota.html

I do agree sometimes it's better to pay the extra and get the warranty, and peace of mind that comes with dealing with known retailers.

Glad you're enjoying that Opticstar - hope some other owners chime in too...

Ant :)

I agree with you Ant - I've owned the ED80, 100 and 120 and all had an FPL-53 element. The Equinox's are the same except for the 66 which I believe uses FPL-51.

I've not used an Opticstar ED80S but it's specs look very similar to the Equinox Pro 80. Perhaps they share the same optics ?

• 1 year later...

Archived