SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The pleiades are in Orion!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious....that was worse than Airwolf and that stunk more than a sewage farm....

Oh c;mon... that Bell 222 was one sexy helicopter flown exceptionally well (takes real skill to hover a beast like that 2 feet off the ground)... If you really want to talk pants 80's TV then look no further than knight rider :)

That was the best film Val Kilmer ever did.

If you really want to see a bad film then Defendor should fit the bill quite nicely. Most painful hour and half of my life. If it had come out before Tropic Thunder then I would have been convinced that it was the film that inspired the line "Never go full retard".

Now if we can only put Val Kilmer in some woo woo science thing about the Pleiades being in Orion (after reading the Greek history now seems worse than before saying that), then this thread will not have drifted.

OK, going back on topic quickly, finally convinced Mr Bauval that the program did show them in the wrong place by sending him a clip of the part I was talking about. He seems genuinely horrified and claims the program maker misrepresented him. We have had a rather friendly exchange of emails since and now he is asking for my phone number so that we can discuss further.

So, what do I do people?

You could accept what he is saying, it could be a genuine mistake by the graphics dept of the film maker or a deliberate attempt to

1: Enhance the argument for it with a fiddled with graphic

2: Damage Robert Bauval's reputation by making him look dishonest

Either way he has accepted a mistake was made, unless anyone has evidence he was personally involved in the TV graphic and is thus being dishonest with you then based respect dictates we accept his statement.

Somebody might have decided that it looked better like that artistically (I have seen quite a few impossible moon-sets in movies). Or they might just have been incompetent. Napoleon is credited with the saying:

"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”

I would think there is no problem discussing the matter by phone, now that he has admitted the mistake

OK, going back on topic quickly, finally convinced Mr Bauval that the program did show them in the wrong place by sending him a clip of the part I was talking about. He seems genuinely horrified and claims the program maker misrepresented him. We have had a rather friendly exchange of emails since and now he is asking for my phone number so that we can discuss further.

So, what do I do people?

Buy a phone that is a throw away and use that. Some form of pay before calling. That way, he is not calling your home nor have a phone that he can directly contact you with. By not having that type of phone (a cheap £20 one will do), you will just have him call.

If you are going to speak, record the conversation. I do this with telemarketers and paying bills is to say "Do you mind if I record this conversation?" Now that puts them on the back foot for as son as they say yes you can make them go into knots over the phone. Case in point:

So anything they say like admitting them being wrong for the programme is now with you so if they backtrack you have a record with consent for the conversation.

But then, just have fun like a bad movie or something.

I had to get a movie reference in somehow.

I was just worries my number may find its way into the hands of one of his supporters, sane and friendly as he seems, I have no idea about his fans.

Oh no, politics has entered the fray, threadnaught here we come...

Politics? I don't see any politcs .... anymore :evil6:

Please keep things within the CoC, guys

Wow - just read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Correlation_Theory

What a load of utter [insert extraordinarily rude word here]

I wouldn't bother having a telephone conversation with this person.

Dippy people with no critical thinking skills will believe what they want to.

You won't convince them otherwise, and there is nothing more stressful than arguing with the wilfully stupid.

Nobody worth talking to about astronomy will hold these bonkers beliefs, so my advice is just cease communication and save your time energy and breath.

You won't convince them otherwise, and there is nothing more stressful than arguing with the wilfully stupid.

I tend to agree, getting drawn into a dialogue is likely to be fruitless and frustrating. It can be almost impossible to argue someone out of a position they have invested themselves in. An approach which occasionally works is to drop a few contrary facts their way, get out, and let them draw their own conclusions.

Come on, guys, he is not some made stalker we are talking about, he probably has more to fear from members of the public than the other way around. He may have some "out of left field" thoughts.

You obviously have not dealt with quasi thinking woo woo people.

For instance I was at a UFO convention in the late 90's in Leeds. It made some good points as some of it was informative from the speakers. One was from LBA (Leeds Bradford Airport) and showed a screen run of one of the radar tracks over north UK. They would get large streaks from radar for a pass over several miles and they could not figure out what they were. They were not meteors as this was below 600 metres on radar. They called them "angels".

But one man stood out from the audience. Someone saying that under the Pyramids was a tunnel that led to a UFO that would unlock the secrets of the world and take us all into a new age. The speakers and hosts decided at that point to move on.

So even though there are the woo woo brigade out there, by having a contact number and a cheap phone you can dodge all of the woo woo, wibbly wobbly and timey wimey idiots and still keep sane. I would get a throw away phone myself and use that. For you never know how these people will react (see Scientology for horror case study).

Archived