Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ Goto mount

jambouk

I've got a Skywatcher 127mm Mak-Cassegrain, on the standard AZ Goto mount. I've worked out the tracking and now it tracks like a dream.

A problem I have though is the altitude axis is very lax and even changing the eye piece (or inserting the webcam) can easily change the altitude when the tracking is running; not just a litttle bit, it can easily move several centimeters unless you are more careful than a butterfly. As I say it tracks great, but there just feels to be minimal friction holding it in place.

Is there anything I can do to increase the friction between the motor and the OTA to reduce the chance of me upsetting the alignment once it's running?

Thanks

James

Nottingham

I believe there are some screws on the mount that clamp it to the motors that some people slaken off in order to use the mount manually. Logically, finding the right one and tightening it may improve the resistance. I'll see if I can fine the info.

Heres a picture of the mount with the two bolts pointed out. http://www.myastronomyblog.com/images/nuts.jpg

What I would try doing would be remove the OTA so you can get at the altitude tightening bolt. Tighten it up but only slightly. You need to increase resistance but not so much as it affects the tracking functions by adding too much resistance.

Wash, rinse repeat this untill you find how tight it needs to be to hold the scope while you put in an eyepiece but not so tight as it struggles to move about the axis.

Hope thats of some help

Matt

Iv seen several people complaining about these mounts online, however on the flip side Iv also seen alot of people praising them. I have to say Im so happy with mine as it does the job a treat :)

Mine is great. I love the ease of setting up, and two nights ago it tracked Jupiter for over 2 without me adjusting it - I think that is blinkin' amazing.

I'd just like a bit more friction (as it were).

I'll give it a go and report back.

How much do you think I should tighten it, are we talking an eight of a turn or more, or less?

James

Having not done it myself I dont have anything to go off. Id suggest going with 1/8th of a turn and seeing what difference that makes. It may be abit of a tedious process, but once its sorted it should make your life alot easier.

Well that was such an easy fix for a massively annoying problem!

I only needed to turn it but about an eight of a turn with a socket set and it went really tight (it wasn't finger loose before, but it felt loose with the socket set). Now the nut is really tight, but the altitude motor still slews with the same sound and apparent ease as it did before. I've not re-tested it with the OTA on yet, but I will do.

I will add that socket to my mobile toolkit as if I'm out and about and it's too tight I'll be able to adjust it.

That is so so useful. I'm really grateful.

Have a virtual pint on me :)

James

It *will* work. Basically, it's now bearing against a few "teflon" pads covered with grease.

If it ever gives problems in the future, you can tweak things again... ;)

Once, by hook or crook, you get Stellarium working with it, accurate, and great fun. :)

I used the serial to USB cable from here:

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/converters.htm

The handset and the mount are connected to each other as normal. The extra lead which comes with the handset (a small telephone type jack (RJ12) one end, a clunky serial connector the other) clicks into the middle port of the handset, and the serial end into the serial end of the adaptor lead, then the usb end into the laptop.

Yes, I've been mostly happy with the mount, but if you saw how easy it was to change the altitude addidentally, you'd appreciate my reservations.

I'm looking forward to testing it all out :)

James

P.S. I've also learnt to extend the curly handset lead to give a bit more lengthj I needed a Cat 6 cable, and used a At 6 inline coupler like this:

http://www.showmecables.com/images/catalog/product/Cat6-White-Inline-Coupler-RJ45-Female-RJ45-Female-1.JPG

which has a female end each side. Now I've got 5m worth of lead to play with. I have also got an electric focuser off ebay for £30 (or so) which reduces the amount of vibration I get when I was trying to focus manually before.

Well i used it last night and it worked like a dream. The OTA was held really rigidly and didn't budge an inch when changing eye pieces or even attaching the dslr! It also tracked wonderfully; i'm always amazed at how good the goto is and the tracking. I managed to get get a nice shot of panstarrs by mounting my dalr on the mount with an L shaped dovetail and tracking panstarrs.

James

Archived