Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grab and Go mount

RichieP

Hello

I am looking to use my Megrez 90 as a grab and go scope, but I need a new mount for it.

The EZTouch I currently use with it is too heavy to be considered grab and go (my definition of grab and go is being able to pick it up and carry it easily in one piece).

I did try it on an AZ3, which was certainly light enough, but I wasn't very happy with it as it felt undermounted, and the altitude slow motion control couldn't handle the weight. So basically I am thinking of something that falls in between the AZ-3 and the EZTouch.

Mounts I am thinking of are an AZ-4 (with the steel legs) or the Vixen Porta II mount.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how these two might compare? Are there any alternatives in that rough sort of price bracket?

Richard

I've got an AZ4, and it's a great mount, very stable. I even put a Skywatcher Evostar 120 on it. I also have an extension pier, and the whole thing is fairly weighty, but I can carry it from the garage to the garden in one piece easy enough. I haven't observed using a Porta II, but I've had a play with one in a shop and it certainly didn't feel anything like as robust.

I've just got the az4 for my 120mm ST refractor. The mount is fantastic, I don't know why skywatcher don't promote it more.

Ditto that :)

I have tried my scope on someone else's Vixen Porta II and its was a superb setup. Felt as stable as my AZ4 but much lighter and with slow mo controls. If i was looking for a lightweight good grab'n'go mount that would be my choice now.

Thanks for the replies.

Still in two minds, although I am leaning towards the Porta II. I suppose my best plan if action is to pop down to a shop and see them in the flesh. Astronomia is only a few miles away.

regards

Richard

And yet another option, a little bit pricer this, but I have often fancied a Giro of some sort:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1541_Giro-Mini---colour-silver---2D-head-and-alt-az-mount---up-to-9-kgs-load.html

mounted onto a

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3951_Carbon-photo-tripod-FCX5---65---181cm---1-9kgs-only.html

A total weight of about 3.5 Kgs, however I may need to use a counterweight as the Megrez is a little on the heavy side, so that would probably bring it up another couple of Kgs.

Richard

another vote for the az4, not only will it hold the Meg perfectly, I have also had a bresser 127l (your Ar5) and have the Meade 152 on it too!. Well worth investing in a pier extension top for it as it will save your back!

Cheers

That's a very interesting suggestion Rowan, thanks. I have the older Megrez 90 with the annoying foot, but it means I could attach it to that mount head with a 1/4" bolt and so cut out the weight of the tube rings and dovetail.

• 3 months later...

Followed Rowan's suggestion and my Technosky eLLe mount arrived from Germany today.

I will post a review when I have had a chance to get it out under the stars, but early impressions are very favourable.

Very interesting. I have seen that mount but have not seen many discussions about it. I still fancy the mini-giro to carry on a plane, as it is a lot lighter than my home brew Alt-Az

This thing weighs less than a kilo packs flat (if you take the screws out) and doesn't need counterweights if you have a small scope it really is very good and seems to be a very good candidate for airline travel

This thing weighs less than a kilo packs flat (if you take the screws out) and doesn't need counterweights if you have a small scope it really is very good and seems to be a very good candidate for airline travel

Thanks for that. That makes it as light as the mini giro, without the need for counterweights. Very interesting indeed

Looks nice. Packs down very flat by the looks of it which is handy.

I do like my mini giro, very simple to use. It does benefit from the counterbalance bar for heavier loads, makes the movement much smoother, same as the Giro II. I had a Vixen Porta a while back but found that I never used the slo mo controls, always found it easier to just move the scope so these sorts of mounts are ideal.

post-6762-137188841043_thumb.jpg

post-6762-137188846385_thumb.jpg

Stu

Archived