Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5 Guide Camera...

Hola,

Yesterday I received my QHY5 (mono) from Modern Astronomy. Bernard was kind enough to give me some advice on the most suitable product for my needs and ''budget'' .

I waited for a while hoping to pick up a second hand item, but the wait didn't pay off. I know somebody will jump in here saying...I'm selling mine, why didn't you say so?! Well, just happened and I'm not intending to look back.

OK, in the box was the QHY5 camera, ST4 cable, USB cable and a little guide on set-up.

Like most niche astronomy items, the packaging wasn't labeled or specifically padded. It only had padding pods in there. The CD was obviously copied by the seller. Same was the instructions sheet. The QHY5 on the other hand feels expensive. The shell is made of metal and quite solid. According to reviews, the camera is the same as the Orion Starshoot, except is much cheaper (Cheaper in comparison really...couldn't find anything with such quality at cheaper price). I'm waiting for some clear sky to give it a test with PHD. Meanwhile here are some photos of the product. Let me know if you have any thoughts or tips please. :)

To be Continued...

post-27451-0-05798100-1362654351_thumb.j

post-27451-0-33568000-1362654352_thumb.j

post-27451-0-55244100-1362654353_thumb.j

post-27451-0-50331800-1362654354_thumb.j

post-27451-0-22655400-1362654355_thumb.j

post-27451-0-98403800-1362654355_thumb.j

post-27451-0-72334300-1362654356_thumb.j

I use the QHY5 and It's good little guide cam (it can also take pretty good mono planetary images). I would add that it is crucial to take darks when using PHD, otherwise it's very noisy. I've also found that it's also important to re-take the darks occasionally throughout the session, as the noise increases as the camera warms up.

I have mine a little while now and really rate it for guiding. Mine has guided through cloud!!

I use mine on a 50mm finderscope and the other night I up'ed PHD to 10 seconds and could see M65,M66 & NGC???? on the screen which I found amazing for a 50mm finderscope.

As said Darks make a big improvement.

Mine has been bolted on to the back of an ST80 since I bought it - it does what it is meant to do, without fail. I did test it out as a luna camera when I first got it and thought it made a very capable imaging camera too.

4532075443_e2b655a36d_z.jpg

Mine has been bolted on to the back of an ST80 since I bought it - it does what it is meant to do, without fail. I did test it out as a luna camera when I first got it and thought it made a very capable imaging camera too.

4532075443_e2b655a36d_z.jpg

Looking at your photograph, I can see it's pretty capable of lunar imaging...crisp and sharp indeed. I kind of like mono cameras and will definitely use this guide camera for planetary and lunar imaging when chances allow. Unfortunately, I haven't even installed or tried it yet...the weather, as you know, has been pretty overcast since I bought it. I'm just wondering if there's anyway I can test/simulate guiding without the existence of actual stars...be it indoors.

Never had a problem with mine, I must confess Ive never taken darks with it when using the finderguider but it still seems to guide well enough all night without them. With an OAG or ST80, I would take darks however.

One thing I did to mine was to screw in a 1.25" BK7 clear glass filter to protect the chip from dust, though you may need to add a short t-extension (5mm) if you still want to use the nosepiece.

• 2 months later...

I use the QHY5 and It's good little guide cam (it can also take pretty good mono planetary images). I would add that it is crucial to take darks when using PHD, otherwise it's very noisy. I've also found that it's also important to re-take the darks occasionally throughout the session, as the noise increases as the camera warms up.

very true

Archived