Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally a clear night.. With the worst seeing ever.

Ok, thats a bit of an assumption actually.

Just been trying to observe some double stars, pointed to Almach and the view was astonishingly bad, the larger star of the double was drifting out of focus and occasionally flaring up in the eyepiece like it had been set on fire.

Is this down to terrible seeing or should I go to Specsavers?

The scope has been outside in the cold for over 2 hours now.

Agreed, as I just said in another thread. If this high cloud clears, I'll go out, otherwise I'm not wasting time getting frustrated with poor views ;). If I can't see the Pleiades (at least from my back garden), it's not good seeing, as M45 isn't that bright here, amongst the LP!

I've just had a couple of hours in the garden with my 8se. The seeing wasn't great, but, for objects fairly overhead it wasn't too bad either. Jupiter was as clear as a bell around 7 to 8pm. Orion nebula was ok, pleiades too, Horsehead nebula - sort of, but too much lp really here. But the cloud seemed to be building from the horizon inwards, so ended up with only Jupiter to see in the end - that's when I called it a day.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

I got some nice views of Jupiter earlier but the thin hazy cloud has spoiled things here for deep sky objects. I could make out some structure around the Trapezium cluster in M42 but most of that nebula was was obscured. This was with my 12" dobsonian.

For the Horsehead I'm going to need an H-beta filter, the darkest sky I've had for years, the right eyepiece (4mm exit pupil) and lots of luck !

So not tonight then ........ :rolleyes2:

I was all set to go out.......then realised I could only see very feint stars.......then didn't bother. I thought that with such a clear sunny day, no clouds.....it would be brilliant tonight. Obviously no such luck. Since buying my scope I have only had about 6 hours of viewing :clouds1:

This was only my fourth clear (ish) night of viewing and I was very happy. Jupiter was fairly crisp down to 9mm with four moons and I managed one of the easy Orion doubles from TLaO. Saw M35 off the foot of Castor in Gemini for the second time and M42 was looking great. I was most chuffed with finding M34 in Perseus, a nice cluster of stars made sharper in my new 18mm BST.

It got hazy around 9 but I was happy just to sit and try and improve my knowledge of the constellations.

The alarm is set for 5am and I'm crossing my fingers for a first view of saturn.

I got some nice views of Jupiter earlier but the thin hazy cloud has spoiled things here for deep sky objects. I could make out some structure around the Trapezium cluster in M42 but most of that nebula was was obscured. This was with my 12" dobsonian.

Thank goodness for that - I got my first 'proper' light tonight. Jupiter was good - I couldn't see a spot, but did get 4 brown bands. But M42 was a real disappointment; it looked just like you described it. I wondered if I'd got something wrong, or if the light pollution here was even worse than I thought.

It was bad last night here. There were random power cuts and I got quite excited at the prospect of some nice and dark conditions, but randomly it seemed only to be every third house (two phases out I'm guessing), and the street lights were still on.

Didn't feel too bad though as despite clear skies, the conditions were fairly dire.

This was only my fourth clear (ish) night of viewing and I was very happy. Jupiter was fairly crisp down to 9mm with four moons and I managed one of the easy Orion doubles from TLaO. Saw M35 off the foot of Castor in Gemini for the second time and M42 was looking great. I was most chuffed with finding M34 in Perseus, a nice cluster of stars made sharper in my new 18mm BST.

It got hazy around 9 but I was happy just to sit and try and improve my knowledge of the constellations.

The alarm is set for 5am and I'm crossing my fingers for a first view of saturn.

I to received my new BST 18mm yesterday and I'm sure it is a fantastic addition to my collection, if only the clouds and LP would go away .... :huh:

If you can see the Horsehead in an 8 inch scope then you're having a better night than me that's for sure.

Best I saw was some nebulosity where it should be. No detail, but I wasn't expecting any.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

I to received my new BST 18mm yesterday and I'm sure it is a fantastic addition to my collection, if only the clouds and LP would go away .... :huh:

You'll not be disappointed, the stars seem more like pin pricks of light. It Barlows ok too!

Hope you get a chance to try it out soon

Jim

Archived