Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Complete new-comer needing advice/help :-) Please...

Hello to whoever replies :-)

For christmas I was bought a Danubia Mars 66 Refractor Astro Telescope as I had been asking for a 'telescope' to get me started... I've always liked the idea of stargazing etc and decided I would hopefully take it up as a hobby...

My questions are, has anyone used this telescope before? and what are it's limits?

I'm aware it's rather vague, but I am completely lost :-) I've seen a couple of random stars which I then looked up last night..

Even if someone could point me to the right thread, that would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you :-)

Hello , I don't know the scope but a good place to start is download stellarium and you can use this to guide you to what and where there is to see , also get a planisphere to help you learn the sky, try it on the moon and look for Jupiter if you ain't got any cloud !!. Then try the Pleiades , good starters but I don't know how the scope will perform.

Bit strange as the objevtive diameter is 60mm not 66 as you may think, well I did.

The front lens, objective, is 60mm dia, the focal langth is 700mm. F Number being therefore f/11.7 (700/60).

The supplied eyepiece will not be that good, they are not plossl's, they seem to be Huygens and really not that good, forget what the R stands for.

From the supplied images of the scope the finder scope may be in a bad place, appears that the finder and the diagonal+eyepiece could get in the way of each other. Could just be the pictures published.

You will need to align the finder and the main scope on something distant during the day, distant being a mile or more away.

That should pass an hour or so, don't rush it. Use the longest eyepiece for the widest field of view in the main scope.

After that it is really get outside and freeze with the rest of us.

Aim the scope via the finder at something, Jupiter, Pleiades, Orion Nebula, then peer through the eyepiece and hopefully it should be in view. Again start with the longest eyepiece. If you go putting the shortest eyepiece in for more magnification then things drift across and out of view quick.

The write up says max magnification of 120x, I would not expect that especially with the supplied eyepieces.

Realistically expect no more then 100x which would be a 7mm eyepiece.

You will have to search round for a few inexpensive plossl's.

100x will get most of the things up there at present it could however be a bit low for Saturn that will appear in decent positions in a couple of months. Wait however and give it a try. If you put a better location the UK in your signature someone may suggest a club to pay a visit to.

It is a 60mm telescope and will do a reasonable amount, not quite up to Hubble but it does describe itself as a starter scope.

The main limitations of your telescope is that the mount is very light, probably doesn't move smoothly, and is likely wobbly. The optics on those telescopes are usually not great. However, you will be able to use it to see stuff. Expect to see the rings of Saturn, moons of Jupiter, lots of detail on the moon, and most/all of the Messier objects if you live somewhere suitably dark. The brighter and larger deep space objects will be visible even from less than optimal locations. Remember, though, that most things you see will look like small fuzzy things in gray-scale. No colors apart from nearby stars. Buy yourself a copy of Turn Left at Orion. It will be invaluable to you when starting out. Don't expect your telescope to go much about 50x or 60x in magnification (regardless of what it may say on the box. The boxes on such telescopes tend to lie).

Welcome!

back in the 70's I had a similar telescope to start with, i still have it, alongside bigger toys. Get outside and use it , as above use stellarium to locate jupiter, orion nebula etc.use a low magnification, then as you interest grows try going to a local club and have a try with bigger equipment and decide on your next step.

Thank you for all advice/help/knowledge :-) greatly appreciated! I will update my profile now, and hopefully someone will point out some clubs :-) but I'm sure a quick Google search will help me for that :-)

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with issues, I'm still getting my head around all the scopes, the magnification etc! :-)

Archived