Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Mount for Imaging (£5k-£6k Budget)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

jjongmans

jjongmans

Star Forming

• Members
  • 219 posts
There is an option to add 2 Gurley encoders on the Mesu and it still will be within budget. De Sitech controller is fully remote controllable. Has an option to model the sky, also fully automatic (scripted)

jjongmans

jjongmans

Star Forming

• Members
  • 219 posts
You can use the Sitech controller without a controller (just point and track), with an ArgoNavis or a PC.

ribuck

ribuck

Sub Dwarf

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,450 posts
Hi Jjongmans, so why did you buy a ddm60 if the mesu is so good :grin:

Joking aside, i just don't like the whole......."well you can add this controller or add these encoders" to make it better. I don't want to have to modify a mount or alter it in any way, i just want it to take it out of the box, and it's just works without any need to alter it, and for that i'm willing to pay an extra £1000 over the cost of the mesu.

I'm hoping Tim will take the hint and do a full review of his GM1000HPS, and just in case you missed it Tim.........(HINT GM1000HPS REVIEW HINT) :grin:

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,062 posts
I will do a proper review, but I am not going to do it without using the mount properly over a period of time. These days reviews are often quoted on sites all over the place and are taken as a basis for ordering equipment, so I am keen to have proper experience to talk about.

For now let's just say, am I pleased with the mount which cost twice as much as the car I currently drive? And the answer is yes.

For me the biggest change was going from the awesome simplicity and ease of use of EQmod, to a more powerful system with a less user friendly GUI. Per is planning his own driver and system in time and hopefully that will be more click and pointy.
That said, after one night using the new interface through the virtual handset software it all made a lot more sense and is now almost second nature.

The biggest test will come with my long exposures on my long focal length setup.

Cheers

Tim

....trying to fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run......   (Kiplings 'If...')

Telescopes: Sywatcher Esprit 150ED, C11 HD Edge+0.7 reducer
Cameras: Atik 11000, Atik 460ex, Atik 460ex OSC, Lodestar
Mount: GM1000

In the Midlands? Come and say Hello : www.RussellsGardenCentre.co.uk

ribuck

ribuck

Sub Dwarf

• 1,450 posts
Thanks Tim, look forward to a future review.

Zakalwe

Zakalwe

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,288 posts
Following this with interest.

What about the Fornax 51? http://www.365astron...pro-p-2207.html

Anyone use these?

My Website

Scopes: Lunt L60Tha D/S with BF1200, Celestron C11, Altair Wave 115mm Refractor
Cameras: DMK21au618, Chameleon mono, Atik 428EX, Xagyl FW and Baader LRGB, Starlight Xpress Filterwheel and Baader LRGB, astro-modded 1100D
Mounts: EQ8, Skymemo portable, Sky Watcher Star Adventurer.

jjongmans

jjongmans

Star Forming

• Members
  • 219 posts

Hi Jjongmans, so why did you buy a ddm60 if the mesu is so good :grin:

Because the ASA has the best tracking performance; 0.2-0.4" over 20 min (and probably longer) unguided subs :)

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,062 posts
When I set my mount up, I took a few pics, although I haven't got enough counterweights yet to do it properly, so I improvised.

The first 10 minute sub (1960mm fl) show some trailing, the second sub after a bit of refinement showed less, this picture was about an hour after I started and was 30 minutes. It is far from perfect, but this is less than two hours after taking the mount on for the first time in effect. Thought you might be interested.

There is no way I'd have considered dismantling my obsy to take a mount to a star party etc, but this one is designed to be portable (it is heavy) and comes with little bags for everything, even the mount head.

Single sub 1800 secs 460ex binned 2x2 C11 EdgeHD +0.7 reducer (1957mm). Unguided.

....trying to fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run......   (Kiplings 'If...')

perfrej

perfrej

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,704 posts
Very nice, Tim! How many stars in your model?

/per

Stuff
Takahashi FSQ106EDX III, SW 190MN, TEC-140ED w/Flattener
Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro, 10Micron GM2000HPS II UP, 10Micron GM1000HPS
SBIG ST8300M, QSI-683swg, filters to match
http://astro.frejvall.se

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,062 posts
whoops wrong picture, give me a couple of mins........

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,062 posts
Right, sorry about that.....need more sleep.....

The picture is 30 minutes, not 20. As mentioned, its far from perfect, but not bad for out of the box :)

Per, at this point there was 5-7 stars in the model I think, now it has 18, but I am going to clear it and do it all again once I have the GPS and final counterweight.

Cheers

Tim

30 mins unguided B33 2x2 Ha.jpg

perfrej

perfrej

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,704 posts
I'd say that's excellent!

/per

Stuff
Takahashi FSQ106EDX III, SW 190MN, TEC-140ED w/Flattener
Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro, 10Micron GM2000HPS II UP, 10Micron GM1000HPS
SBIG ST8300M, QSI-683swg, filters to match
http://astro.frejvall.se

jjongmans

jjongmans

Star Forming

• Members
  • 219 posts
Nice! Whats the imagescale?

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,062 posts
IIRC that's about 0.98 arcsec/pixel which was pushing it on a murky night in the UK. (in fact its always pushing it on any night in the uk :D )

jjongmans

jjongmans

Star Forming

• Members
  • 219 posts
Yes, I know the problem, I'm living in The Netherlands, I reduced my RC to 0.80"/px

This was my first unguided attempt with the DDM (binned 2x2, so 1.6"/px) with clouds rolling in...
  • Tim likes this

ribuck

ribuck

Sub Dwarf

• 1,450 posts
Fantastic first image on the new mount when you first got it jeff. Just had a peek at some of you other images, very nice indeed.

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,062 posts
Ah yes I remember your thread jjongmans, it is your fault I ever heard of a GM1000 in the first place!!! ;)

ribuck

ribuck

Sub Dwarf

• 1,450 posts
Can i also blame you when the wife asks where the mount came from after ordering

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,062 posts
I'm blaming mine on a mid-life crisis and I've earned it and I'm sticking to my story............ :)

Plus, it's a lot cheaper in the long run than running off with a younger woman as seems to be the norm, so the wife will probably be grateful..................probably....... :s

ribuck

ribuck

Sub Dwarf

• 1,450 posts
Tim,

Like your style, maybe i can justify my mount by promising not run off with a younger woman....

Edited by ribuck, 18 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users