Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which scope monitoring webcam?

michaelmorris

I'm starting down the road of setting up my observatory for remote operation. I've sccessfully tested running RealVNC so that I can now run the computer in my observatory from the laptop in my study. The next step is to install a webcam in the observatory which I can use to monitor the position of the scope on it's mount. As I see it, I can either go for a static webcam with a wide angle lens, or a webcam with a normal lens where the whole webcam is mounted on a motorised pan and tilt mount that I can control from the remote computer.

What webcams have other people used for this purpose?

Hi Mike

I went down this track trying to set up with a spare spc900 cam. I wanted to keep an eye on the pier/scope during imaging in total darkness.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a replacement(non IR) lens for it to use with IR lights. Again, getting enough light from IR diodes was also problematic.

Here is the thread that may be of interes. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/164940-cameralight-poser/

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I've gone down the route of using a spare SPC900. I couldn't find the original lens so Peter (Pyschobilly) kindly sent me a spare one he had (top guy). Unfortunately this didn't provide quite a wide enough field of view. The SPC900 uses a standard 'board camera' lens fitting, so it was easy to pick up a 3.6mm f2.0 non-IR lens from Ebay for under a fiver.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4cfa6972cd

Maplins also sell these lenses.

Here is a screenshot of the field of view it gives me.

post-586-0-35555700-1358942104_thumb.jpg

Glad you got it sorted.

Are you using this to monitor the scope during imaging or just for setting up.

Why I ask is if it's for the former how are you illuminating the observatory without spoiling the darkness.

Glad you got it sorted.

Are you using this to monitor the scope during imaging or just for setting up.

Why I ask is if it's for the former how are you illuminating the observatory without spoiling the darkness.

I plan to use the webcam only to monitor the scope during imaging. I have a small dimmable light in the observatory that is heavily shaded to prevent it throwing light upwards. With the camera set to full gain, 5 fps, max exposure and a bit of gamma thrown in for good measure, I only need to have this light on at a pretty low level to provide enough illumination to see the scope. I may experiment with IR lights in the future.

Archived