Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crab nebula 12 January 2013

Bizibilder

I had a clear sky for the first time in ages (last DSO picture was early October last year!!). So I set up and managed just over four hours on the Crab Nebula. I've put both a full frame (just edges cropped) and a crop of the nebula itself. I've been after this target for quite a while now and I'm finally glad that I've "got it". It clouded over just before 11 o'clock which put an end to proceedings.

Skywatcher 120mm ED APO, Canon 1000d (modded) ISO 800, HEQ5 EQMOD, guiding with ST80 QHY5 and PHD. Processing in DSS and PS CS5. (This is the first time I've taken and added Bias frames to the mix - I need to reprocess without them to see what difference they make).

50 lights at 5mins each = 4h 10min total exposure time

24 Flats

30 darks

71 Bias

12Jan2013CrabNebulaCropped.jpg

12Jan2013CrabWidefieldfullframe.jpg

Looks great Roger, really nice to see this in context. We were observing it visually last night for a change, didn't realise how bright it was, or how big! Your pic gives it a great sense of scale in its place in the sky :)

Thanks folks

Tim: In DSS all I do is stack and have it set to align RGB. Everything else is done in PS. I used to try and do some initial processing in DSS when I started out but it is a mistake - all your data is in the TIFF produced by DSS and PS is much more capable of pulling all the details out.

Archived