SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Celestron Advanced VX Mount

FLO

Celestron are showcasing their new Celestron Advanced VX mount at the Consumer Electronics Show in the US. It is essentially their upgrade to the hugely popular CG5-GT mount. Celestron say it is completely re-engineered from the ground up and claim it will be "the best astroimaging mount in it's price range". (They haven't actually said what the price is but we'll post it here as soon as we know).

We have always liked the original CG5-GT mount which has quietly been improving year-on-year since it's release but this new mount is clearly a significant upgrade.

Features include programmable Periodic Error Correction (PEC) with integer gear ratios, an autoguider port, new motors for enhanced tracking performance, meridian sweep without motor interference, wider latitude range from 7°-77° and a number of redesigned mechanical features to make it easier to setup and use.

For more details please see our website. We will also update this thread with news as it comes in.

ETA is early 2013.

UPDATE April 2013: The Celestron Advanced VX mount is now in stock :smiley:

celestron_advanced_vx_mount_91519.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this look fantastic.

Looks like they stopped cloning and took the Vixen GP concept and actually further developed it. I wonder if the changes are real or just cosmetic.

They say the mount is completely re-engineered, it is also clearly related to the Celestron CGEM series so we are expecting real improvements. If they can offer it at around £600 we predict it will be very popular indeed.

But is this mount comparable to a HEQ5 or to an EQ6 in regards to the weight it can handle?

The current CG5-GT has a load bearing capacity around 6.5kg for imaging and 9kg for visual (our figures, not Celestron's). The VX mount has new motors, new gears, a wider base and is mechanically better designed so we are expecting it to have a higher load bearing capacity than the CG5-GT, but not much higher. I doubt that it will match the HEQ5 PRO's 11kg (15kg for visual). It certainly won't come close the NEQ6's 18kg (25kg for visual) but the NEQ6 is significantly larger and heavier. Celestron are focused instead on imagers wanting a modern, portable mount with features normally found only on larger, more expensive models.

In a nutshell, compared to the HEQ5 and NEQ6 models, the VX has a lower load bearing capacity but is more portable and more sophisticated.

HTH,

Steve

Reading between the lines, does this mean the CG5-GT is now OOP?

Celestron-UK say they will run both models side-by-side. We don't know if that is because they have significant stock of the CG5-GT or because the price difference means there is room for both. We'll know more when they release the VX price.

HTH

We haven't been given a price but often UK prices are higher because the US advertised price doesn't include local tax and here in the UK we are subject to import duty, VAT and the cost of a local distributer and service centre.

Please don't shoot the messenger :angel:

I've got one for beta testing :)

It's a bit bigger than the CG5 and I think will carry more weight.

My feeling is that it is quieter than the CG5 but it isn't silent - except when tracking. It has the reduced slew speed option so you can make the slew as quiet as you need to.

I think it's a nice, portable mount and will be good for people who are wanting to get into imaging. I found it quite easy to set up guiding and I'm not at all an expert.

Chris

My feeling is that it is quieter than the CG5 but it isn't silent - except when tracking. It has the reduced slew speed option so you can make the slew as quiet as you need to.

I think it's a nice, portable mount and will be good for people who are wanting to get into imaging. I found it quite easy to set up guiding and I'm not at all an expert.

Chris

Can you post some pics?

Chris

Can you post some pics of the inside with the dec assembly removed? I'd be quite intersted to see inside the RA and dec assembly.

Since the mount was redesigned for higher capacity, I wonder if it is still similar to GP/CG5 or more similar to the GPDX/D2.

Hey Beetlejuice,

I guess we will have to wait to find out it's price, but if what you are say is correct then the price is going tto be exactly the same as in the states even though the dollar is on average a third less than the pound. I am more interested in the new SkySense Accessory personally, but that will probably be the same in pounds as it is in dollars even though all the stuff is made in China. They always seem to use the excuse that manufacturing costs, taxes, shipping, mean that the prices we pay in the UK are higher than the US. That is a load of tosh in my opinion. Call me cynical, but it is just a way of extorting more money out of the British consumer.

They always seem to use the excuse that manufacturing costs, taxes, shipping, mean that the prices we pay in the UK are higher than the US. That is a load of tosh in my opinion. Call me cynical, but it is just a way of extorting more money out of the British consumer.

Shipping, duty and taxes are very real and applicable to anyone importing from the US, including yourself. And US advertised prices often don't include local taxes.

When comparing Celestron prices we must also consider that not all Celestron products are supplied direct to the UK. Some Celestron products come from, or are channelled through, the US. And Celestron have appointed a UK importer/distributer to hold and distribute Celestron products. The importer/distributer must also setup and run a Celestron service centre for UK customers and is responsible for the general marketing of Celestron. They are also responsible for appointing and managing a dealer network. Those costs are not easy for retailers or customers to determine or quantify but we do understand and accept Celestron's decision to appoint and support a UK importer/distributer (the same applies to Skywatcher). We do however ensure savings and promotions are passed on to the customer (not all dealers do this and most 'never' did before we entered the market).

Celestron aside, wherever possible we source products direct from the manufacturer and set retail prices based on the 'real' cost of importing. In doing so we have done more than any other UK dealer to end rip-off-Britain practices in the astro retail industry. Some might remember the outlandish prices charged for Moonlite and ADM products, also dew heater tapes and even the humble Telrad (which was priced around £50 before we sourced them). Occasionally we might be out of sync due to currency fluctations but that can at times benefit you. Consider our Atik prices, recently we reduced our prices as the €-£ moved in our favour (We pay for Atik in €). We were the only dealer to do this (some have since responded with similar prices).

Incidentally, SGL's admin deserve some of the credit. 'Rip-off-Britain' threads used to be common here on SGL so I promised them (back when FLO was made forum sponsor) that FLO would do whatever she could to end over pricing. We have done this and more.

HTH,

Steve

Celestron have written a post responding to customer's FAQs regarding the new StarSense accessory. Here it is :smiley:

StarSense has already received a great response from amateur astronomers around the world. But many of you wanted even more information on this nifty new accessory. So, we launched the hashtag #AskTeamCelestron on Twitter and put out a call on Facebook asking you to send us your questions!

We enlisted the help of Bryan Cogdell, the Celestron Product Manager behind StarSense, to answer all your questions in detail. Check out his responses below!

Jeff B. asks, “Once the StarSense alignment is successful, can I switch to my CGE-PRO’s internal database and use the NexStar hand controller (HC) or ASCOM control from a planetarium program (i.e. Starry Night)? Or am I restricted to the StarSense hand controller’s Sky Tour? This is not good if I have an imaging session set up in Starry Night or Astroart and I can't use them to control the mount.”

-Yes, you may use planetarium software and control the telescope with ASCOM, just as you would with a NexStar hand controller. The StarSense controller will replace the existing NexStar controller for the CGE Pro, but functions the same way with an ASCOM connection to the PC. Alignment must be completed through the hand controller first.

To clarify, the StarSense controller replaces the NexStar controller. It retains all of the same functions, but with the addition of StarSense Technology automatic alignment, as well as multi-star calibration mount modeling. Just like the NexStar controller, the StarSense controller can search by object name or catalog number, and interface with a PC via ASCOM.

Jeff B. asks, “Is there an internal GPS or is the Celestron GPS accessory needed?”

-StarSense does not contain an internal GPS, and does not rely on GPS to perform the alignment procedure. Therefore, there is no need for an external GPS accessory.

Paul asks, “Can I use StarSense to align to the sun? I also do sun viewing and it's really hard to get aligned to the sun.”

-Yes. Note that as a safety precaution, the Sun must be enabled in the hand controller so it can be used as an alignment option.

Stephan G. asks, “Can the StarSense Accessory help polar alignment in some way?”

-StarSense won’t directly assist in polar alignment. However, because the GoTo alignment is very accurate with StarSense, All Star Polar Alignment becomes more accurate. You’ll be more closely polar aligned after just one iteration of the All Star alignment procedure. (This answer applies EQ mounts and CPC + Wedge mounts only.)

James D. asks, “My question is, can StarSense be used as a guide scope for imaging?”

-Not currently – the main reason is the 20mm f/2 lens used in the camera does not have enough focal length to accurately guide longer focal length telescopes. We acknowledge this feedback!

William W. asks, “Will the new StarSense Accessory guide me through a polar align on my CGEM DX? Does it replace my hand control?”

-StarSense replaces the existing NexStar hand controller. It does not assist polar alignment. It automatically aligns the GoTo.

Many of you had specific questions about whether StarSense will work with your telescope. Here are Bryan’s answers:

Carlos L. asks, “Does the StarSense Accessory work with the CGEM? What about with telescopes from other brands?”

Yes, it works with the CGEM, but it does not work with other brands.

Dirk L. asks, “Will this work with the Gemini 2 mount?”

-Sorry, the StarSense Accessory is only compatible with Celestron mounts.

George B. asks, “Are there any telescopes in your current range (and old) GoTos that the StarSense Accessory will not work with?

-All current mounts are compatible with StarSense. The older NexStar i series (not the SE series), Ultima 2000, and early generation GoTos like the Compustar are not compatible. For more information, consult the complete compatibility list.

Malcolm S. asks, “I own a NexStar 127 SLT and a Celestron C9.25-SGT XLT GOTO. Can you tell me if these two scopes are compatible with the newly released StarSense Accessory? Also, what is going to be the price in the UK?”

-Yes, compatible with both. For pricing information in the UK, contact David Hinds, Ltd.

Jarmo S. asks, “According to the StarSense chart of compatible mounts I can't find the CG5 GT GOTO mount there. So it's not compatible?”

-CG-5 is compatible with the StarSense Accessory, although we initially neglected to add CG-5 to the list of compatible mounts. Thanks for pointing this out! CG-5 has now been added to the chart.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for clarifying a few points. Hey I wasn't having a go at FLO, I was mearly stating that we in the UK seem to get the rough end of the stick sometime when it comes to alot of consumer goods.

I am a commited customer of FLO and have sourced ALL my astro gear from you and will continue to do so. Your customer service is out of the top drawer and the prices that you charge are more than competitive. Please don't think I was having a go at you directly, because I most certainly wasn't.

Archived