Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A New Year and clear skies!

Leebert

Yes, same here in Norway!

No time for telescopes or binoculars (kids), but at least I saw Saturn and Spica in the south before the Sun came up.,

Long may it continue (at least to this evening)

Tony

Went out briefly last night with binoculars, too interested in other indoor activities to get the full telescope out. Already had a moon bash a few days ago anyway. Looks like it might be even better tonight, time to get out early before the moon rises around 8pm.

Out tonight checking out Jupiter and Pleiades but the cloud is buiding. I should have known it wouldn't last!!

Still, I am happy to have had first light on a new scope - A William Optics Zenithstar 66 SD :)

I put the 130 scope into garden in clearish to start cooling and started the newly6 fitted RA motor to test its tracking speed, went in to make a snack before I started and guess what happpened! (clue, its wet and comes fropm grey things in the sky that weren't that prominent 10 minutes previous)

I wanted to test out my newly modded webcam on Jupiter, I was a little disapointed but there is always tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after etc :rolleyes:

Lol! I'm glad it's not just me then :)

Clouds came so I came in for eats too and then the skies cleared. Let's see what happens later. After all, the stars will be there tomorrow - and if they're not, we have bigger things to worry about!!

Yes same here.

Been out with my 10x50 bins and just come in for a while to warm up.

From my balcony:

M15, M32, M33, M42 and M45 of course - my goodness, almost one twentieth of a Messier marathon! ...

couldn't quite see M2 because she was too low in the horizon.

When my fingers warm up I'll see if I can add to the list.

Wait this should be in my New Year's Resolution blog!

Tony

Saw Jupiter and all four moons, of course.

Completely cloudy in Nottingham :(

Near you in Sutton-in-Ash mate.

Seemed to be clearing here 30 mins ago, so got to work setting up the Dob in the astroshed. By the time I was ready the cloud was worse than ever lol!

When will I get a chance to try my new xmas gear out?!

It was clear here for about three hours, got some of the Moore Winter Marathon telescope targets in, mostly the easy stuff, but not as many as I hoped for. Telescopin' just ain't as fast as Binocularin'! Then a load of clouds came in and the moon started to come up, clouds are due to pass for midnight but with the moon and dew I decided to call it a night. Not particularly great seeing anyway.

Clear spells appear with clouds on the horizon that cloud over again after 10 minutes. On/off like that but always threatening rain. Do you, or do you not set up under such circumstances? Well, I haven't and played cautious - I don't want to get caught out under a deluge. It will be clear properly later in the week by all accounts.

No proper clear spells since darkness fell for me yet.

I think an obsy or roll-off shed is the only solution. I abandoned hope this evening because it takes half an hour or so to get everything outside and set up. If it were permanently set up then I could even get something worthwhile out of a half-hour clear patch.

Unfortunately the patch of ground where I plan to build my obsy (having changed sites to make it easier to get electricity there) is currently under several inches of water and has been for the last month :(

James

my mrs have been going on about a obsy for me, although I dont believe she is really serious. She isn't too impressed with the 12" dob sat in corner of conservatory, lol. Also though there is a 130 on an EQ taking up space next to it, so I think I will drop the 130 down to make it less obtrusive, then maybe paint the outside of the dob to same colour as walls so it blends in. Nah only kidding, I cant be bothered alway setting up the 130 each time i want to view :grin:

Archived