Narrowband

Baader Mark-III MPCC Coma Corrector Details

FLO

We have posted details on our website of the long awaited Mark-III Baader MPCC Coma Corrector. The most notable change is a newly designed lens system optimised for f-ratios f3.5 to f4.5 (the original MPCC was designed for an f/ratio of f4 to f6).

Some might remember the Baader MPCC factory was washed away in the Japanese tsunami (we hear). A replacement has been in development since then. We don't know at this stage where the new Mark-III MPCC is made and unfortunately the wait is not yet over. Baader haven't given an official ETA but our estimate is Feb/Mar next year.

HTH :smiley:

baader_mpcc_mark-3_coma_corrector.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been considering a coma corrector for visual use for a while but never got round to getting one. Will there be a visual kit for this one?

Also my scope, at f4.5, was somewhere in the middle of the useful range on the old one but is at the top end of this one. Would performance be likely better for me with the old one?

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering a coma corrector for visual use for a while but never got round to getting one. Will there be a visual kit for this one?

Yes, adapters are available for visual use, we will list them as soon as they arrive :smiley:

Checkout the downloadable pdf from the Baader MPCC product description at our website for pix and details.

Also my scope, at f4.5, was somewhere in the middle of the useful range on the old one but is at the top end of this one. Would performance be likely better for me with the old one?

We don't know Paul, this is a new product so we haven't any feedback. Rest assured if it isn't a good match we'll take it back and arrange a full refund. And when people do start imaging with the new MPCC Mk-III SGL will be the best place to find images and user feedback :glasses2:

I have a Baader MPCC on order for my Skywatcher 250 PDS f4.7, the Baader data sheet only mentions that the f/ratio has been changed down to F3.5 but no upper limit change and I have seen on some other sites a claimed f3.5 - f6 for the new mark III.

Have you been informed by Baader of the new ratio as even there own web site does not mention this?

I have a Baader MPCC on order for my Skywatcher 250 PDS f4.7, the Baader data sheet only mentions that the f/ratio has been changed down to F3.5 but no upper limit change and I have seen on some other sites a claimed f3.5 - f6 for the new mark III.

Have you been informed by Baader of the new ratio as even there own web site does not mention this?

Well spotted. Baader don't appear to specify an upper f-ratio. From a marketing POV manufacturers and retailers like to stretch the f-ratio range as far as they can to maximize sales. We haven't done that, instead we have quoted what we think is a 'safe' upper-limit. If someone buys a Mk-III MPCC for an f5 or f6 and is disappointed with the results then we would prefer them to have bought it from one of our competitors :angel:

The new Mk-III MPCC is already selling well so we'll soon see results and reports here on SGL. If it proves itself at f5 and f6 then we'll edit our product description accordingly.

HTH

Any word on shipping to the US? Tried adding one to my cart, but was told "The delivery method you have specified is invalid for your location", and have no option to select a different delivery method.

We can ship one to the US. Please contact us at the email address in my signature below. We are about to close for the weekend but James will calculate a delivery price Monday then make the arrangements.

By reducing the focal ratio of the intended scope, how do they decrease coma present rather than increasing it?

Does the field of view increase as well?

The Baader MPCC doesn't reduce the telescope's focal ratio so the field of view is unaltered :smiley:

(The Skywatcher coma corrector does, slightly).

Any spacers going to be needed with an Orion 8" f/3.9 Newt and EOS 450D using Orion's Zero-profile adapter and a standard T-RIng?

We don't see a lot of Orion kit here in the UK but I have done some Googling and found the Orion Zero-profile adapter. You won't need it because the Baader MPCC body has the dimensions of a 2-inch nosepiece so will fit directly into a 2-inch focuser. And you should be okay with a regular T-ring if using a DSLR. I don't know the Orion focuser so cannot be 100% sure but if it is the same as the Skywatcher model sold here in the UK then you should be able to reach focus.

Archived