SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

200P EQ5 - First use tonight!

Hello peeps.

Just managed to wrestle my new 200P outside for my first viewing. Saw quite a bit of detail on Jupiter...I think it may need collimating a wee bit but overall results were impressive.

A couple of things I need to practice or work on.

Didn't quite manage to locate polaris in the polar scope thingymijig. Basically just eyeball'd it...good enough to see something at least, though.

Still suffer from shaky focusing technique! Definitely want to get a motorised one to smooth that out.

I read a few posts on here and some motivated/resourceful individuals seem to have built their own! I'm useless at that and so would prefer to buy an out of the box Skywatcher one.

There is one on FirstLight optics for £99. Would that be a good choice? Here -> http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Lastly, the 'in the dark' collimation where you get the Airy disk...I can't seem to get going with that. Anyone had a similar issue and maybe found a good forum topic that got them going?

Cheers

Mark

Will keep a close eye on this thread, as im just in the process of buying a 200p + eq5 mount for me and my daughters first scope, will be interesting to see how you get on with it,

Enjoy your new scope and would love to hear some feedback regarding this??

Andy

Hi Mark, rough alignment with Polaris is good enough for visual use. On the focuser issue, I am sure that dual speed focuser would be a very good choice, however, if it was me I would go for a Moonlite focuser, also available from FLO but a bit more expensive, well worth the extra though, they are very robust and ultra-smooth: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers.html

On your 'Airey disc' question, a good guide can be found here, just scroll down the page to see it: http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Will keep a close eye on this thread, as im just in the process of buying a 200p + eq5 mount for me and my daughters first scope, will be interesting to see how you get on with it,

Enjoy your new scope and would love to hear some feedback regarding this??

Andy

I've had my 200P for a year now & it's a great scope, although I have upgraded the mount to an NEQ6 but initially started with an EQ5. After doing plenty of research on this site the 200P seemed to be the one to go for. I went for an EQ mount as I wanted to try my hand at astrophotography which I've had some limited success with.

As for collimation there's nothing to worry about as it's not to bad after you've done it the first time. There's some tutorials on how to do it on here but unfortunately I don't have the links.

I fitted adual speed focuser to my scope earlier in the year & it is quite good although no match for a moonlite, it just fits to the standard focuser underneath where the original fitted.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/145257-lacerta-dual-speed-focuser-sw200p/

There seems a bit of confusion regarding focusers, the OP wrote that he wanted a motorised focuser and the suggestions have been for dual speed units. If what he really wants is a motorised one then have a look at http://www.rotherval...user_d1434.html.

Doesn't the 200P now come with a dual speed focuser in which case the motor unit above does not fit out of the box but needs modifying, there was a thread regarding this some time ago, sorry I can't find it, perhaps someone can post a link,.

The link the OP posted was of a dual speed focuser so I'm a bit lost so I assumed he was after one of those. There is the Skywatcher autofocuser which Astro Imp has put a link too, I have one but haven't really used as yet so can't say whether if it's much of an improvement or not although it might make focusing when I'm imaging planets easier.

Apologies if my OP confused. It's just lack of knowledge on my part. I tried to use what I thought was the right name but if there are subtle differences in models, I was ignorant of that bit.

All I wanted was a way to smoothly and accurately focus on e.g. Jupiter when I'm more or less there by manually turning the focus wheel. It seems impossible to make delicate adjustments as my hands seem to cause the image to shake and so impossible to tell if I'm improving focus or making it worse.

I expected there to be some device with a cable or hand control that would do the job while I peered through the focuser.

I'm probably not going to get in astrphotography any time soon so I guess I don't need to break the bank.

So, am I describing a motorised focuser or a dual speed focuser?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Also, on the comment about the person thinking of getting one - don't hesitate, do it! I wish I had got this first as my scope rather than the 4 1/2 inch Meade reflector I bought. I don't think it was collimated completely and I probably didn't have it all set up perfectly but I had a great view of Jupiter even up to using the 10mm eyepiece with the 2x Barlow; way more magnification than I probably deserved!

You will not be disappointed.

Didn't quite manage to locate polaris in the polar scope thingymijig. Basically just eyeball'd it...good enough to see something at least, though.

Whilst you do not need accurate tracking for visual observing, the more accurately you can polar align the more accurate GOTO becomes. Point your mount north with a compass and set the latitude, and that should bring polaris into the polarscope - it is the only bright star in that view. I do go to the trouble of aligning my mount accurately with the NCP using the circular slide rule provided, as well as the GOTO improvement I also enjoy the academic exercise.

Archived