Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 or 20x80 bins?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

jon1000

jon1000

Star Forming

• Members
  • 239 posts
I have read good reviews on the SkyMaster 15x70 bins but I like the 20x80 bins too.

I have never had a decent set of bins, only the cheap ones from down the market etc, I have a p130 goto telescope and its a nightmare to keep setting up and sometimes it would be nice to just use a set of bins.

which set of bins would you choose and Why?

thanks for your help in advance.

Steve Ward

Steve Ward

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7,234 posts
I use a 9 x 63 binocular for scanning about , I've tried 15 x 70's and 20 x 80's but found them too cumbersome to use "freehand" .

I'd advise a good pair of 10 x 50 or 9 x 63 over a lesser quality "bigger" bin.

Steve
  • auspom likes this

Steve

"Mit der Dummheit kampfen gotter selbst vergebens" ( against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain )
Tal 100RS , SW Mak180Pro + Revelation focuser, SW200PDS, SW80ED Pro, SW ST120, ETX105, Celestron 15 x 70's , HEQ5ProSynScan, EQ3-2 on 14' Pier.
Canon1000D Std x 2 , SPC900NC x 3. "Scopium" Hershel wedge.

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,364 posts
I've owned the Skymaster 15x70's and the Revelation 15x70's, which can usually be found at a lower cost. To my eyes (amateur !) they performed very much the same. Could be the same optics in fact.

As Steve says, you will need a tall and stout tripod to get the best from 15x70's. That could cost you as much as the binoculars or more so bear that in mind.

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3 and Equatorial x 1

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, Neodymium, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

Douglas Adams, 2001 

Dielectric

Dielectric

Star Forming

• Members
  • 126 posts
AFAIK, the Skymaster and Revelation 15x70 are the same binos but just badged differently..... shoot me if i'm wrong. Agree though that the 15x70 are not great for steady handheld viewing unless you have strong arms that don't ever fatigue. You can lay in a deck chair though and look only upwards quite comfortably resting them on youe eyes with a 15x70. 20x80 would be awsome but will need a pod.

Cheers :grin:
Celestron C8, NEQ6 Pro GPS, DMK21AU618.AS, Televue-Powermate 2.5x, 2" Naglers 12mm & 22mm, Pentax XF 8.5mm x2 15x70 Binos, WO Megrez 72 & WO Binoviewers

Canon 650D unmodded & the finest curry in the world

bunnygod1

bunnygod1

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,472 posts
I have 9 x 63's binocular for widefield, 15 x 70's for similar but a bit more detail and 20 x 80's i use on a tripod.if i could only own one pair it would be the 15x70's

pete presland
skywatcher 200pds, C9.25, celestron ed80, heq5 synscan pier mount, eq5
skymasters 20x80,15x70, 8x56 bino's,ASI120mm, dmk21au618, dslr 350d, QHY5 guide camera
lots of eyepieces, barlows, various filters etc... roll off roof observatory

jon1000

jon1000

Star Forming

• Members
  • 239 posts
Thanks for your help, I think I will get the 15x70, I have a good tripod already.

LukeSkywatcher

LukeSkywatcher

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,193 posts
I was going to say go for the 20x80. Even with bins, its about the aperture. The bigger the better. I have a set of 20x90's which sadly i dont use often due to having a couple of scopes to pick from on any given night.

15x70 are by all counts great bins. I have never used them so i cant really comment on them as such.

Paul

Celestron 8se (Mick),Sky Watcher Heritage 130P,Celestron 90EQ,Celestron 70 Travelscope,Horizon 8115 tripod,Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. UHC filter,OIII filter and shed load of other various EP's, Canon 450D, Strathspey 20x90, Bresser 10x50 bins.

brantuk

brantuk

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,022 posts
The 15x70's are smashing for looking at clusters, galaxies, locating bright nebula and doubles, spotting planetary moons (eg Jupiter) and examining detail on the moon. There's a little chromatic abberation round the edges but it doesn't really interfere with the type of observing you'd be doing with them.

They're heavy to hold steady for long periods - I find leaning on a car roof or lying on a camp bed alleviates this considerably. Of course a tripod is the ideal solution - I have a fine tuning head for my tripod to track objects in alt/az for short periods. I nearly bought a pair of really nice 25x100's the other day but there's other stuff I want first lol. Hth :)

CPC-925, AZEQ6 GT, 16" Lightbridge, AA 115EDT, 200P, LS60Tha B1200 DS60 PT, Meg72, Tal 100RS, SW  127 Mak, ST80, Skytee-2, SPC900 SC1.5, Canon10x42 L IS WP, 1000D (unmod'ed), 314L+ Mono, SX Efw, Lodestar.
Member of East Midlands Stargazers - EMS

Quote: "When you can take the pea from my hand Glasshopper, you will be ready to leave the monastery. But if you just take the p.... we'll kick you out".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users