SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Skywatcher f4 Aplanatic Super Coma Corrector

FLO

Skywatcher have released details of their new Skywatcher f4 Aplanatic Coma-Corrector designed for use with the Skywatcher Quattro series of F4 imaging Newtonians.

It promises to be a premium product that delivers pin-point stars across an evenly illuminated field free from spherical aberration and coma.

We are expecting it to arrive early 2013 and to retail at a higher price than their existing Coma Corrector.

We will post more details and specifications as we receive them.

skywatcher-f4-aplanatic-coma-corrector.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this mean that the existing SW CC does not work with the quattro??

I tried mine last night and seemed to give a slight fishbowl effect round the edges. Worked perfectly on the 200p with same camera.

The regular Skywatcher Coma Corrector is optimized for f5 Newtonians. It can be used with an f4 Quattro and you will notice an improvement but it isn't a perfect match.

HTH

That is typical. I just decided I wanted a Baader MPCC for my Quattro only to find they are out of stock/production, so decided to buy the Skywatcher instead, except FLO didn't have that in stock, had to get it somewhere else as it was for a present. Now they bring out a dedicated CC for the F4.

Looks like I will have to get one of these in the new year.

I considered the Baader for my Quattro, but saw a report on here of someone who had difficulty with it and of course FLO aren't showing any stock of it either. It looks like Baader are redesigning the whole range, so put me down for one of the new CC's, especially if they are around £150.

I also considered a Paracorr, but as they are about the same price as the scope it seems a little overkill.

I think there is a real market for a mid-priced CC, say in the £150 - £200 mark which gives good performance for the F4 - F5 Newts, so well done Skywatcher.

• 1 month later...

Damn- I gave up waiting and and ordered a Badader MPCC III from you today- is it too late to swap?

No problem, if you email the help-desk (email address below) Martin or SteveB will make the arrangements :smiley:

Is the Baader less good?

We don't know. The Skywatcher f4 Aplanatic and Baader Mk-III are both new products. I would expect them both to perform very well at f4 but we'll need to wait for user feedback here at SGL to know which is best.

HTH,

Steve

No problem, if you email the help-desk (email address below) Martin or SteveB will make the arrangements :smiley:

We don't know. The Skywatcher f4 Aplanatic and Baader Mk-III are both new products. I would expect them both to perform very well at f4 but we'll need to wait for user feedback here at SGL to know which is best.

HTH,

Steve

Thanks- but now I've got the MPCC III in my hand I'll give the Baader MPCC III a whirl first. Should be okay for what I'm trying to do (clouds permitting) I'll do a mini review when I've had a chance for first light.

Hi Laser_jock,

For your scope you might find that the Baader will work better than the Skywatcher Aplantic coma corrector as it looks like it was designed for the Quattro. Certainly, if it was me I would stick with the Baader as I doubt the new Skywatcher would work any better and probably not be justified by the price for your set up.

:eek: £200 thats shocking i think i will be going with the new badder, i was holding out thinking this would be around £150

There is no 'wrong' decision when choosing between the Baader Mk-III MPCC and Skywatcher Aplanatic, both are designed to work well at f4 :smiley:

• 1 month later...

I'm very interested in this Skywatcher f4 Aplanatic Coma Corrector however there is just one question, that nobody as asked yet, On my existing coma corrector at the corrector lens end side (and not the camera/ccd T-2 male thread side) Is there a filter thread which I can screw my 2" CLS nebula filter on the coma corrector by any chance??? I would like to know if does have this thread this quite important as I have one shot coloured CCD!

Archived