Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Im just new here and i think I'm into stargazing already but the thing is i dont know anything about it can anyone help me??

husby

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there and a warm welcome to SGL

Lots of advice and posts on here to look at. Also decide what you want to do. Do you just want to do visual or get into the dark side (imaging) then decide on your budget for the stuff. Post that on here and you will have loadds of advice for what to

look at given to you :-)

velvet

Hi there!

Just ask away in the forums what you like to know more about.

I can recommend the Turn Left At Orion, with that as guide you can see a lot with just some binoculars.

Also there is a free program called Stellarium that you can use to easily find out what's avaialble for gazing when.

Welcome to SGL.

thanks alot guys but how about the basic scope for beginers?? what is the best one??

That is a difficult question. There are multitudes of scopes of different designs. Basicly, if you just want to watch, the Dobsonian mounted Newtons are very good scopes for the money. Here are some examples. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians.html The 130p or the 200p are some very good scopes for the money, but there are lots of other alternatives, for sure, just make sure you dont rush away and buy the first one you see. Take your time and research. You might even want to get a cheap pair of binos while figuring out what scope you want.

If you want to do stuff like photography it becomes complicated.

basically i wanna look at stars planets and asteroids if it's possible i just wanna observe them and i think there are only specific time when i can see them right??

You can easily use Stellarium, www.stellarium.org, and enter your location and time to see what planets and asteroids are up at what times. After a while you start learning how different objects move and will be able to guess their locations pretty easy.

I have a 10*50 binos and they are doing me fine. You can see a fair amout of things with them. I wanted to jump straight to a scope as well, but decide to go down the bins route first, make sure I want to keep doing it and to allow me to save for a nice scope.

Hi. I started out with a Celestron 114 powerseeker. I found this a great scope to learn with and is also not too big for transportaion if you need to get to a dark skys area. The Moon and Planets were great to see and also managed things further away like the Orion nebulae. What I will say is dont jump in both feet first if you are learning, after all you dont want to spend a heap of money only to either be confused by all the latest and biggest scopes or decide you are not that keen on the hobby later on. Take things easy to start with and once you have built up the interest and started to learn about the night sky and then want to move on to greater and better things you can do so. :smiley:

Hi and welcome. I started out with the SkyWatcher 130p on eq2 mount and it is a really good starter scope and works well for all aspects really, planets, moon, lots of deep sky objects. A lot of people start out with a reflector scope, such as a SW130P, or some go with a dobsonian scope, which is a reflector without the added cost of the mount (dobs have a very usable wooden mount) you get a lot more aperture (mirror size) for your money with a reflector.

Personally I would not rush into the scope purchase. Have a good look around online, First Light Optics, Telescope House, etc do lots of research and you will probably come to a decision as to what would suit you best.

When you have a few ideas, I am sure the guys n girls on here will offer some great advice.

Hi Husby and welcome to SGL, many people that are new to this forum are full of enthusiasm, but have limited, or no knowledge of where to start. You have expressed an interest in visual Astronomy for the time being, restricted to Planets, stars and you mention Asteroids, these are small Solar system stone or metallic bodies which orbit round the Sun and even the largest earth based telescopes only reveal these as tiny pinpoints of light, except on the occasions when the larger ones have a near Earth visit, when they can be tracked with modest amateur equipment.

You have already has some sound advice on literature and the use of Stellarium, together with a modest pair of 10x50 binoculars to get you under way, I would also recommend a visit to your local library as most have a good selection of books on the subject. However, if you are still of a mind to pursue the acquisition of a scope, then budget will play some part, but as you have indicated the route you want to take, your choice could be limited to long focal length scopes in the Maksutovs - Cassegrain range, or possibly a refractor. One of the most popular could be a 127 Mak basic system or with GOTO which would be dependent on how deep your pockets are. a 120mm refractor could also serve you well. But for a more modest outlay you can enter the realm of the Dobsonian, starting with the Sky-Watcher 130P flexitube at less than £150 to the 200P less than £300, the later is an extremely popular scope on the forum which is often upgraded to a full blown equatorial system after some time. If I were to make a recommendation, it would have to be the 130P and if you can reach as far as the 200P all the better, but I still suggest you hold on spending any of your hard earned cash until you have had time to assimilate and asses what people have said before proceeding further, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived