Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Nirvana UWA 16mm

Gohan75

I bought one recently from ABS i've only used it once so far because of the you know what :clouds1: . The view was very nice, the stars were sharp 85% or more accross the field of view.

When the weather improves I'll be able to give more of a detailed appraisal, but it gets a thumbs up from me, and I only paid £85 so I can't complain. :smiley:

This is the best site for used astro equipment, in my opinion:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

I've owned the 28mm, 16mm and 4mm Nirvana's and they are excellent eyepieces. I sold the 16mm to move to a 16mm T5 Nagler and the difference in the F/6 scope I had at the time was barely noticeable. The "upgrade" cost me £80 or so and it was not money well spent really. I still have a 4mm Nirvana and it's a really good high power eyepiece with my 102 and 120mm ED refractors. It sits between 5mm and 3.5mm Pentax XW's in my set but is not overawed by them :smiley:

I don't find the 4mm gets much use with my 10" F/4.8 newtonian though.

I had a shot of one of our astro groups Nirvana 7mm & 16mm through my 10" f4.7 last winter, got some cracking views, I preferred them both to my 8mm & 15mm BSTs I owned, I took note of the reviews on SGL of the 2" 28mm Nirvana and added that, Now those 3 are the only EPs I own. The 4mm I feel would just be too much magnification for my scope as was my 5mm BST last winter (used to good effect only a couple of times due to seeing, more often left in case though sadly)

Also, Dodge, do you find that you get much use out of a 4mm? or is the mag to high in most cases?

Like John, my 4 mm doesn't get that much use - it's too much in my current scopes under UK skies. It'll be more appropriate for my next scope, which will be of much shorter focal length (400-650mm).

I recently bought the panaview 2 32mm maybe I shud of held out for a 28mm Nirvana. Sound like great ep's ! Would you say the 16mm is good for mid mag dso's ? Whats it like to barlow ? Do u think it would be worth gettin a 28 mm or wud that make the panaview redundant ?

The 28mm Nirvana would show a larger and sharper true field than the Panaview 32 does so it would make it redundant I guess. They are large and heavy eyepieces though - your Panaview 32 will seem dainty by comparison !

The 16mm is 1.25" and more compact. It is a nice mid-power deep sky eyepiece.

Archived