Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun In White Light 3-11-2012. 14:30

Steve Ward

Well the forecast clear patch arrived a little late today , would normally have needed a little roadtrip to get the shot at this time of day due to the greenery in the way .

Luckily I'd just finished my new elevated ( 10 foot high ) pier . . . :p . . . designed specifically to get me the shot over the next couple of months when the Sun is at it's lowest in the sky . . . :grin:

It performed really well , even in a stiff breeze , confirmed to me that all the wobble in an EQ3-2 is in the tripod . . . :rolleyes:

Rattled off a quick 109 frames before losing him to the trees , seeing good , selected and stacked 63 of them .

3-11-12P.png

1000D + ST120 + ND3.8 + 1.8 x Barlow + UHC + S/L.

1/1600s @ ISO 100 , 63/109 , Reg b5.1 , Gimp2.8.

The new elevated shooting rig . . . who needs a welder when you've a few lumps of prime English Oak lying around . . .

Pier4.jpg

Pier5.jpg

Pier2.jpg

Pier6.jpg

Pier7.jpg

There was a stiff breeze as I was shooting and I only noticed a couple of occasions when the image moved on the screen , both times corresponding with gusts.

Much stiffer and stable than on the tripod at ground level when "sheltered" by the fence , was going higher but that would mean dragging out the other bits of the ladder . . . :rolleyes:

Steve.

All that work, you'd have thought the Sun might try to be a bit more spectacular :)

Impressed with the pier though. I was expecting it to be taller so you could operate it from the upstairs window. Interesting point about the tripod. I've been contemplating making a "semi-portable" pier for mine -- basically an old car tyre filled with concrete as a base, with a concrete-filled 100mm diameter drain pipe for the actual pier. I reckon it should be heavy enough not to move unintentionally, but it could always be tipped over and rolled on the tyre to move it. Something like the one Roger made would be rather nice, but whilst I can't weld very well I can mix concrete and I have a car tyre and a suitable length of pipe.

James

I'd planned to access it from the bedroom but the centre is about 2 ' 6 " off the wall so it was too much of a reach , doesn't mean I won't be imaging from my pit when it's really cold though . . . :p

I'm just hoping it'll be high enough when he's at his lowest , nothing to stop me sticking another 4 ' on top though . . . :rolleyes:

Steve.

Great image Steve, you had better luck than me - got up to clear skies but within half an hour that had deteriorated and we had cloud and hail showers all day until just before sunset when - you've guessed it - clear blue skies again.

Edit Love the new rig that should get you high enough!!

It's only just dawned on me that I can use it in the "other half of the day" .

I should be able to get access to some of the lower targets that I would normally travel for . . Eagle , Helix , Sombrero , Sculptor Galaxy , Trifid , Low 2013 Saturn , etc . . . .

Steve

Very impressive that. What does the wife think of it? I like to show mine pictures of other peoples obs set ups in the hope that she will relent and allow me to have a dome in the middle ofthe garden.

Just had a go at the sun today, in Ha and also tried white light. I couldn't see any sun spots on the surface in white light, noticed there wasn't much on your picture from yesterday.

Ah yes, that would do it. No way on earth would mine let me have something up the house and is now complaining about the time I spend looking at the sun rather than taking our dog for a walk.

My Ha pic turned out nice, but nothing at all on the white light. I don't think the mist and high cloud helped though.

Archived