Narrowband

Orion Oiii

martin_h

Just before packing up this morning I had a quick go at this, I had been using Oiii earlier so just left it in.

This a composite of 1 x 30 mins, 1 x 10 mins, 1 x 5 mins and 3 x 1 min, all layed up in photoshop for the final picture.

Oiiiweb.png

I have no idea what an Oiii is Gina (filter?) but thats a really nice image. A 30 minute sub! I dont think i've ever heard of such a thing! :grin: You must know you're mount like the the back of you're hand!

Yes, OIII is a filter. A narrow band filter. It only passes light in a small band of wavelengths. In this case in the bluey green part of the spectrum. Oxygen glows in this colour when energised by other radiation from a nearby star (the O stands for Oxygen). Hydrogen glows a deep red similarly producing H alpha light. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe.

I've never hit this with O111 but clearly that needs to change! This filter is badly affected by the moon so you probably have more to come with this. A good post. Food for thought.

Olly

Yes, there probably is more to be had, the moon was directly over Orion last night so that didnt help things. It was only a play with the data tho, I had finished my image run and didnt want to waste the rest of a clear night and as I had the OIII filter in at the time the targets were limited but Orion was just in the right place at the right time. :grin:

That's a good result Martin, really shows off M42 in a different light.

I can never work out what is actually Oiii, or Hydrogen or Sulphur when imaging these bright targets with narrowband filters, I'm never convinced that it isn't just the overall brightness of the nebulae shining though and registering. I guess the HST image might help with that.

Cheers

Tim

Baader 8.5nm

Thank you :) I have one of those on backorder but it seems to be taking ages. I'm contemplating an Astrodon 3nm OIII and have an enquiry in with Ian King to see if/when I might be able to afford one. The 3nm would make a big difference in moonlight I'm given to believe :)

That's a good result Martin, really shows off M42 in a different light.

I can never work out what is actually Oiii, or Hydrogen or Sulphur when imaging these bright targets with narrowband filters, I'm never convinced that it isn't just the overall brightness of the nebulae shining though and registering. I guess the HST image might help with that.

Cheers

Tim

Here is a quick Hubble of it using old data.....

hubbleweb.png

Very impressive indeed Martin. Really dont think i have seen Orion in OIII before, plenty of Ha and RGB obviously. It really has a huge amount to offer in the band, surprised i havent seen much more Oiii images before. Great stuff, cant wait till you get more time on it (without shouty) and put some proper RGB on it, should look incredible.

Archived