Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new scope and mount arrived

morning all, I finaly got my new scope and mount 3 days ago and as the tipical british weather goes it has been cloudy :o(.

But last night an hour after sunset and in the break of cloud i managed to get about 30 mins of clear sky and here are my results.

First shot is Andromida, 10 lights, 7 darks, and 12 bias at 50 seconds iso 1200

second is of dumbell nebula at 7 lights, 7 darks, and 12 bias also 50 seconds at 1200 iso

post-21044-0-43656400-1351934738_thumb.j

post-21044-0-01579700-1351934753_thumb.j

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also here is a cropped image of the same pic of the dumbell nebula.

I know i still have some work to do on processing and alinment but for my first shot at it with the limited time i had im pleasently chuffed with myself as i wasnt really expecting much

post-21044-0-91815400-1351935089_thumb.j

im happy with the results as i live in the middle of the city of Plymouth with alot of light pollution and no filters, plus the moon being out and only having 30 mins i had to rush myself a tad but I only wanted to go out and test my new scope and mount as it turned up 3 days ago and with getting twitchy lol

I have just bought myself a HEQ5 pro and a Skywatcher ed 80 pro ota, very very happy with it :) and just hoping that the weather clears up abit so i can manage to get out and have a real go at some imaging and try to learn to polar alignment properly as i have no guide scope or cam, just using tracking on the mount at the moment, which seems to work quiet well and for living in a heavily light polluted area with no filters it seems like i will be able to get some good shots, just need to sort out the sky glow so i can get black skys

Got my fingers crossed for some clear skys, hopefully I won't be waiting for to long for my next imaging session. Looking forward to getting out there for a few hours. Is there anyway of getting shots where the core of andromida arnt blown out ?

Andromeda is quite a tricky one to capture because the core is so bright and the dust lanes so faint. It requires one or two specific processing techniques after you captured the right kind of exposures. I'm no imager but it is definitely possible. Check out the imaging section for deep sky and you'll see some of the superb attempts folks have made.

They usually post up what type of subs and how many and what exposure length and filters were used. There's a very nice one that was a combination of frames put together by several members comprising 45hrs of data. Most members will accept a message asking for any tips or tricks they used to get a particuar shot (if you ask nicely lol) Hth :)

Here's a link to the one I'm talking about: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/165977-45-hour-collaboration/

Thank you for the advise Brantuk, I will certainly speak to the nice ppl on the imaging forum for some help. 45 hours worth of data thats alot of subs lol but it is definatly worth it as the shot is stunning, At the moment processing isnt my strong point so I still have a far way to go in that field.

Laser_jock99, Yes i do manage to get out to dark sites but havent managed to get my new setup out there yet due to the weather, but I will soon touch wood.

Thank you still learning lol. Yes dartmoor is a cracking place to take pics of the night sky and wish I could get out there a bit more often, I usually end up at wembury as its looking out to sea wait has some lovely dark sky

Archived