Narrowband

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

I would leave it.  Just see what the images come out like.  It would be dreadful if you went that little bit too far and ruined it.  So easy to do - believe me, I've been there :(

My observations on Nikon D3100 and D5100 sensors.

These two sensors are clearly different from each other. D3100 felt like walk in a park with flat sensor/cover glass surface. Glue wasn’t too strong and glass felt thicker and even flexible. In other words it came off rather nicely.

D5100 however is a completely different case. Thinner? cover glass was is not glued on flat surface but it’s instead embedded in groove 1/3 deep of the glass height – so it’s very hard to get under the glass. Also the gap between sensor groove and cover glass was partly filled with resin. Only one corner is left open and if you mess it up, then rest of the process is much harder. Also the resin seems to be much stronger and heat resisting than in D3100. Gold wires, they are rather short in D3100 and only located on two sides, but the D5100 has long wires covering all four sides of the sensor. Combined with shattering glass the higher gold wire damage risk makes D5100 sensor not so desirable debayering sample. Persons with certain personality characteristics may enjoy it though ;)

I’d guess that as D5100 sensor is made by Sony, they have different manufacturing process than Canon or Nikon. [i recall reading that D3100 is Nikon made and D5100 Sony. Please correct me if I’m wrong.]

Hey,

my first attempt was a 450D. i debayered the sensor successfully without damaging the golden wires. BUT, i had one deep scratch. short exposures (for daytime) were ok but longer exposures were totally terrible...

the second 450D is waiting for debayering now. but before i give it a go can you please post some photos of the tools which you used for debayering? plus the used material of the tool. 

thanks in advance. :)

Hi, i debayered several camera's, i use the following methode: i use wooten tooth pick's, at first it seems like nFor the areaothing happens but scanning over the sensor there seems to be spots that "suddenly" let go of the silicon lenses and colorfilter array. But 1 thing is for shure, be very carefull of the small side blue area, donnot touch it. i ruined sevral sensors by accidently going in this area (dead pixel lines etc).

for the area's that are difficult in removing the color filter array i use the solvent Dichloormethane. it will immediatly remove the filters (after the silicon layer is gone).

Won't it look like that anyway if you are telling PI to create an RGB image?

I would have thought you would need to image something distinctly red, green or blue and check all the pixels expose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have thought you would need to image something distinctly red, green or blue and check all the pixels expose.

I believe color is just something how software interprets sensor data. Well, obviously it is, but you know I mean debayered vs non-debayered image :)

Same file opened in Photoshop gives that distinctly red image, but the presence of RGB filter can be only seen indirectly by color channel distribution:

Photoshop.jpg

Pixinsight means by RGB image that non-debayered image format has color pixels, if such is existing (?).

To verify this: Same picture presented as monochrome shows checkerboard pattern so RGB filter is there.

monochrome.jpg

I wasn't very clear in my previous post. You're right, only monochrome is right way to look image.

I blame a bit late evening ;)

When I was checking for removal of the CFA I chose a multi coloured scene and then closely examined the image (grey scale) at pixel level to check for any differences in pixels covering the same colour.

Apologies for interjecting but how do you process raw files from a debayered camera? Any commercial software will assume the color matrix is still present and process pixels accordingly. Is there some software that allows you to tell it that it's now monochrome?
Thanks

Louise

Apologies for interjecting but how do you process raw files from a debayered camera? Any commercial software will assume the color matrix is still present and process pixels accordingly. Is there some software that allows you to tell it that it's now monochrome?

Thanks

Louise

I've looked back through my threads and found the answer - DCRaw is the software I used.  How to set it up and use it plus my results are given in my Debayering an 1100D thread.  Code to make it automatic using the Windows SendTo feature is described in post #8.

HTH :)

I've looked back through my threads and found the answer - DCRaw is the software I used.  How to set it up and use it plus my results are given in my Debayering an 1100D thread.  Code to make it automatic using the Windows SendTo feature is described in post #8.

HTH :)

Hi Gina

Excellent - thanks! I'll give it a go if I ever get my mono 1100d back from repair... They've had it since the end of July, lol

Louise

• Like 1

Only just found this thread and find it fascinating, thanks for sharing chaps.

There is a camera available for pure mono from Leica, the M monochrom. Makes me wonder if this is debayered the write up suggests it may be. However at the price its going for I dont plan on finding out anytime soon

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860536-REG/Leica_10760_M_Monochrom_Black_and.html

• Like 1

i did some more debayering

9m5g2qjq.jpg

but After reassembly:

4oxbtcdc.jpg

has anyone an explanation? didnt touch the blue rectangel on the side and also didnt touch the Gold wires.

dont think that i have gone too deep..

there is maybe some Remnant (dust) on the gold wires...

dc3mauk5.jpg

i will open it again and check for dust which touches the gold wires… maybe this is the problem...

Oh dear :(  I sympathise.

I have had these very same symptoms on one of my debayering attempts.  No consolation I know but you are not alone.  I think it may have been due to going too deep or too near the edge in one place.

Judging by the number of trashed DSLR sensors on this thread, I'd say the same about de-Bayering! :grin:

Well... yes...  I've been doing it as an experiment and purely for the fun (or maybe I'm a masochist :D)  I may well have spent more than the cost of a half decent mono astro CCD camera but it can be addictive - like, "I won't make that mistake next time" :D  It's a steep learning curve.  Some sensor models are more difficult than others.  The 1100D should yield the best results as an astro camera but so far I've found it's the hardest to work on without destroying it.

• Like 1