Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
1469 replies to this topic

RAC

RAC

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 495 posts
I thought i would have a go at the impossible. I've got two Canon 1000d's so i took it upon myself to either break it or make it. I looked all over the net and found nothing at all about doing this , no pics of anything! This could totaly change DSLR imaging if it works. Using an HA filter or any filter would now mean using every pixel.

Take one sensor.
Posted Image
Canon 1000d CMOS sensor by meg rac, on Flickr

Remove the glass. It pops off slowly with a small screwdriver. All i'm going to do is pollish the front of it to get rid of that green layer as this is the bayer matrix. I used a dremel with a pad thing sharpend to a soft point.
Meguiar's ScratchX was the past of choice.
Posted Image
Canon 1000d CMOS sensor without front glass by meg rac, on Flickr

First test. You can see how more sensitive it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image
First test of seeing in the dark. by meg rac, on Flickr

Flat test. We wont be using the whole sensor as its very hard to get right out to the edges as there are lots of little wires so cropping will be a must. I'm going to have a better go at cleaning the sensor up.
Posted Image
Flat test by meg rac, on Flickr

So far for about an hours effort i think its a total success.
Posted Image
Mono Canon 1000D! by meg rac, on Flickr

By the way i don't recomend you doing this if you only have one camera or you arn't good with small things!
  • Wobbly Bob, astromerlin, Ags and 5 others like this

Mount: Celestron CGE mount.
Scopes: Carbon Serrurier truss 10" f4 Newtonian, Skywatcher 200p.
Cams: Atik 383L+ Mono, ASI120MM, Canon 60d.
Camera lenes: Canon 400mm f5.6L, Canon 200mm f/2.8L II, Canon 15-85mm.
Images MY Flickr page

GlassWalker

GlassWalker

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 627 posts
Hmm... I think my 450D just gave me a nervous look! I have long wondered how hard would it be to remove the CFA, but never took it further... so if I understand correctly, you just need to try and remove the CFA layer without damaging or scratching the underlying surface? And in this case you used some kind of mild abrasive?

Actually, I might give this a go on my 300D IR mod as a test before I break the 450D :D

After that, just need to figure out how to configure software not to de-bayer a non-bayer...
Sensors: DFK21AU618, DMK41AU04, QHY5, assorted Canons including modified 450D
Optics: Celestron NexStar 4SE, random 80mm refractor, SkyWatcher StarTravel 120, Meade 8" SCT, 2x Coronado PST, many many lenses
Mounts: Astrotrac, EQ6 on pier
Photos: dA

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts
WOW! Now that is extremely interesting :) I have a couple of spare imaging assemblies from cameras I've already succeded in destroying with my extreme modding so this will be definitely a possibility for me. Now there's a surprise :D I've seen a couple of tries at debayering that didn't succeed.

Yes, I shall definitely have a go at this :) I love extreme mods :D I'll see if I can find that paste you quoted. Did you use it dry or with water or other lubricant?

I'm currently using a colour 1100D for NB and losing a lot of resolution which is a little bit crazy :D Actually, two sided by side - with Ha and OIII clip filters for widefield DSO imaging. I'm also in the process of making a filter wheel for my scope camera (another 1100D) and have NB filters on order.

It's good to see that the Bayer mask is on top of the microlenses :) And it looks like the mask is softer than the microlenses.

Edited by Gina, 28 October 2012 - 11:37 AM.

Gina
SW Explorer MN190 - Esprit 80ED Pro - Evostar 80 ED DS Pro + 0.85x FR/FF x2 - one with Baader SteelTrack focuser - EQ8 & NEQ6 Pro mounts - Guiding OAG with Lodestar & PHD - Atik 460EX mono and 314L+ mono x2 Filters Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII, 5nm SII - Baader LRGB - Atik EFW2 filter wheel - 35, 55, 85, 105, 135, 200, 300mm lenses - EQMOD CdC APT SharpCap DPP DSS PS Artemis Capture

RogerTheDodger

RogerTheDodger

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,183 posts
Very interesting indeed...
SW 200PDS, SW 100ED, HEQ5 Pro Syntrek EQDIR, ST80 guide scope, Atik 314L+, Atik Filterwheel, Baader LRGB and narrowband filters,
Canon 1100d, Starlight Xpress Lodestar, QHY5, 2 x SPC900 SC1.5 LX mod, Pixinsight, Nebulosity
DSO's with a webcam

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

After that, just need to figure out how to configure software not to de-bayer a non-bayer...

Ah yes - that's a point :eek: Hadn't thought of that! That is done in DSS, isn't it? I wonder if it needs a change by the software author or whether there's a way round it. Please let me know what you can find out :)

Edited by Gina, 28 October 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Gina
SW Explorer MN190 - Esprit 80ED Pro - Evostar 80 ED DS Pro + 0.85x FR/FF x2 - one with Baader SteelTrack focuser - EQ8 & NEQ6 Pro mounts - Guiding OAG with Lodestar & PHD - Atik 460EX mono and 314L+ mono x2 Filters Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII, 5nm SII - Baader LRGB - Atik EFW2 filter wheel - 35, 55, 85, 105, 135, 200, 300mm lenses - EQMOD CdC APT SharpCap DPP DSS PS Artemis Capture

GlassWalker

GlassWalker

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 627 posts
I don't know about DSS, but I think in many raw conversion processes there's an "ignore bayer" or similar option. I think PixInsight's raw conversion uses dcraw as a base, and that has an option to just convert without debayering. But I'm not sure where to find the options to do that in PI or other software.
Sensors: DFK21AU618, DMK41AU04, QHY5, assorted Canons including modified 450D
Optics: Celestron NexStar 4SE, random 80mm refractor, SkyWatcher StarTravel 120, Meade 8" SCT, 2x Coronado PST, many many lenses
Mounts: Astrotrac, EQ6 on pier
Photos: dA

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

I don't know about DSS, but I think in many raw conversion processes there's an "ignore bayer" or similar option. I think PixInsight's raw conversion uses dcraw as a base, and that has an option to just convert without debayering. But I'm not sure where to find the options to do that in PI or other software.

Ah yes - maybe there is in DSS. I'll see if I can find anything.

Gina

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts
Been looking at the DSS manual - this page :- http://deepskystacke...al.htm#rawdecod

No mention of not debayering but there are different ways of using the pixels. I've been using the "Super-pixel" mode with NB filters and I imagine this would be alright with the Bayer mask removed - giving a vast increase in sensitivity at the expense of resolution. The "Bayer drizzle" mode looks interesting though I don't quite understand what they're saying. This may give the required result with full resolution - not sure. Something to try though. Think I'll post in the Software forum - someone may know the answer.

Gina

RAC

RAC

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 495 posts
All i used was a dremel with one of these tips(the rounded top one). I cut the tip a bit sharper. And this stuff straight on the end. Without the paste nothing happend. As so asl the clouds go away i'll get a photo. I might put this sesnor in my cooled camera or just run it uncooled for a quick test and compare imaging times verses my cooled colour one. Do a run of a few 5min subs at the same object for each camera maybe.

I haven't thought too much about the processing. I'll see what happens. It may not matter what the software does?
  • mindburner likes this

Images MY Flickr page

RAC

RAC

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 495 posts
I also want to have a go with a test sensor(even an old webcam senor) with some form of paint stripper to see if it'll work without damaging the sensor. This would make it more easy and should give a cleaner finsh.

Anyway its a good thing i didn't listen to the internet and not give it a shot.
  • starfox likes this

Images MY Flickr page

RAC

RAC

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 495 posts

It's good to see that the Bayer mask is on top of the microlenses :) And it looks like the mask is softer than the microlenses.

Looking around the net it looks like the microlenses are on top of the bayer filter?. Haha well not anymore if they were!

Images MY Flickr page

fwm891

fwm891

Retired Photographer

• Advanced Members
  • 1,956 posts

I also want to have a go with a test sensor(even an old webcam senor) with some form of paint stripper to see if it'll work without damaging the sensor. This would make it more easy and should give a cleaner finsh.

Anyway its a good thing i didn't listen to the internet and not give it a shot.

The micro lenses will be a moulded plastic so mind how you go with the paint stripper.

I'd also be worried about making the lenses 'frosted' with the dremmel - even using a soft tip?

Francis
AA115 EDT-APO, AA 8" RC, Atik 383L+, SX FW, Avalon Linear + bits...
Ivy House Observatory
http://www.flickr.co...s/97440028@N04/

Photosbykev

Photosbykev

Wannabe Pete

• Moderators
  • 5,490 posts
Removing the CFA layer should give a significant increase in resolution and sensitivity. This company can supply cameras suitably modified for B/W, IR, UV and Ha work. Looks interesting :) I don't think I would have the bottle to try it on my own bodies lol
regards
Kev
http://www.photosbykev.com Wildlife and Nature Photography
Posted Image
The Lyra Optic 4" f11 H-a solarscope build
Canon 5D MkIII, 5D MkII, 7D, 60D IR, DMK21, iOptron Skytracker v2 and lots of lovely Canon glass

In the middle of every black hole there is a very small, very heavy little man looking for the light switch.
I know we're not alone but why the hell would any civilised species want to visit us?

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

Looking around the net it looks like the microlenses are on top of the bayer filter?. Haha well not anymore if they were!

Well, whatever, your result clearly shows the increase in sensitivity is not reduced too much by your mod if you have removed the microlenses. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Maybe the later sensors have the CFA on the top - manufacturers do make changes to their products :D And they often don't tell us - their customers.

Gina

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

Removing the CFA layer should give a significant increase in resolution and sensitivity.

Yes, certainly would seem so :)

This company can supply cameras suitably modified for B/W, IR, UV and Ha work. Looks interesting :) I don't think I would have the bottle to try it on my own bodies lol

Not cheap but still cheaper than a mono astro CCD of similar resolution.

Edited by Gina, 28 October 2012 - 06:55 PM.

Gina

Photosbykev

Photosbykev

Wannabe Pete

• Moderators
  • 5,490 posts

Yes, certainly would seem so :)

Not cheap but still cheaper than a mono astro CCD of similar resolution.

If you provide your own DSLR body the conversion price isn't too unreasonable
regards
Kev
http://www.photosbykev.com Wildlife and Nature Photography
Posted Image
The Lyra Optic 4" f11 H-a solarscope build
Canon 5D MkIII, 5D MkII, 7D, 60D IR, DMK21, iOptron Skytracker v2 and lots of lovely Canon glass

In the middle of every black hole there is a very small, very heavy little man looking for the light switch.
I know we're not alone but why the hell would any civilised species want to visit us?

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts
I have a Dremel - well actually the Draper equivalent, with the assorted tools, and I'll see if our local cheapo shop has the buffing paste you mention. If not I'll get it from Amazon :)

How difficult is it to know/see how far to grind down? It would be rather distressing to go too far! :eek:

Gina

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts
I guess if the microlenses are plastic and the CFA is also plastic but the sensor photodiodes and associated circuitry is silicon then the plastic layers being softer than the silicon can be eroded easily with little affect on the much harder silicon.

Whether the plastic could be disolved or softened with paint stripper I don't know but I'm pretty sure paint stripper wouldn't affect the silicon circuitry.

I think trials could be conducted with webcam sensors as these will probably be much the same as DSLR sensors but on a smaller scale. They certainly have Bayer masks but may not have microlenses.

Gina

allcart

allcart

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,715 posts
Out of interest, what is the difference between this mod and the normal mods where the filters are removed.

Allan;
NSN....Allan in Hampshire
1100D modded, Synguider, DMK41, DMK31, Toucam pro II
Advanced VX --80ED-APO, ST80, TAL shortRS, Omni XLT 120, 152mm C6-R, Lunt LS60Tha, LS60f, PST, Herschel wedge, more scopes and secret stuff
Tasco 114mm scope with manual gem mount on a wooden tripod. eek!!

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,823 posts

Out of interest, what is the difference between this mod and the normal mods where the filters are removed.

The filters are separate from the sensor - held in a plastic frame with glue and micro sticky tape. The Bayer mask is part of the sensor chip and it's removal involves removing the glass cover plate and then scraping away at the actual sensor. Extreme modding at it's very most extreme!

Edited by Gina, 28 October 2012 - 10:14 PM.

Gina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users