Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starry Night Software

It depends what you want it for, really. It's more of a planetarium/encyclopaedia than a tool for planning observing sessions. Personally, I've found it to run slow, be buggy, and not useful. Stellarium works better (for me) as a planetarium. Astroplanner or Sky Tools 3 are real planning programs, although both of those are probably not necessary for a beginner. I think Sky Safari is one of the best jack or all trades in this realm. It has a simple planner, it's a good planetarium, and it provides encyclopaedia-style information on the most prominent objects.

i use starry night enthusiast 6 and i get on very well with it. i use it to see what is showing in the night sky and it helps me plan my viewing sessions. it is very comprehensive for beginning in astronomy and i wonder if i will ever need to upgrade to the pro version, i'm very happy with what it does. i also run a mac and it works very well on it, i'm running os10.6 (snow leopard) but starry night works on 10.5 and earlier as i've had mine for quite a while, i have also had no bug problems either. i do also use stellarium as i use it to take screen shots so i can print out my own star maps, the printing in starry night is comprehensive but i find the visual appearance of what is brighter or darker better in stellarium (when printing is concerned, that's when I notice it). i do find i can find things and move around quicker in starry night than i can in stellarium though and i find it easier to show all the things i'm looking for. i've heard a few people say that planetarium software is not that great, but there is no way i would have got into this hobby if it wasn't for my starry night and stellarium. so for me... i'm a fan. good luck with what ever you decide :)

When I first got my scope I was eager to spend money on my new hobby and this software is one of the things I bought. "It comes under the nice but I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it" It has lots of bells and whistles is really resource hungry and is expensive. It is very well featured but srellarium is free and does everything I need it to. Blow your money on some eyepieces instead. get this it has most of what you need, http://www.stellarium.org/

I still have starry night I just never use it.

CdC on Mac and Windows is what I use.

For planning in the beginning, you don't need more software, just use free monthly sky maps on skymaps.com. It has a good list of what's visible.

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Archived