SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet 168/Hergenrother

Despite clouds I had to get out and try for Comet 168/Hergenrother which has suddenly brightened to about 10th magnitude.

Visually it was easy in the 7.5 in Mac Newt. showing a slightly fan-shaped structure.

My very quick and roughly processed image shows that there is a small tail developing.

post-2275-0-45817500-1349559673_thumb.jp

Clouds finally put paid to my imaging after 12 subs were taken.

Dave

I've just found it with the 10" dob and that's pretty much how it looks to me. Unfortunately my father in law is polluting the patio with all their house lights, so I'll be waiting until he goes to bed for a better view.

James

Had another look and I'm not sure that this evening I could call which way the tail was from the view along. Forced to have a stab I might even have said it was entirely the opposite direction to Dave's image. I could clearly see that the comet wasn't circular, but I couldn't make out much more. The seeing isn't great this evening and in fact cloud has just rolled in so I've called it a night.

James

Very nice capture.

I was going for it myself, but the clouds rolled in, and then DSS wouldn't play ball. However, I did manage to do this rough animation of it, at around the same time as your image. Cropped from 18 frames, captured with Canon 450, 250mm f/4.7 Newt, 2 minute exposures. It's a nice bright one, so better conditions and more exposures should look good.

168P_2012_10_07.gif

Thats a great animation Luke :smiley:

Nice images. :)

Would this show up if I pointed a 300mm camera lens at it?

If the fog stays away I might see if I can find it in the 6".

It might but it's a rather small object - even at 150x it did not take up much room in the field of view of my eyepiece !

Thats a great animation Luke :smiley:

Indeed it is. Well done.

It might but it's a rather small object - even at 150x it did not take up much room in the field of view of my eyepiece !

Quite. It looked rather small in my BGOs at a similar magnification.

James

Perhaps something I did updated the base data for comets. Not really sure. Be a good thing to return to next weekend if it's clear. The lack of moon might help. I thought last night that it would be very easy to miss.

James

Archived