Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT Mount Specification, Price & ETA.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts
We have updated our Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT product page to show the new mount's specification and price. Our first delivery is expected this November but it will initially be in short supply. We are genuinely excited and fully expect the AZ EQ6-GT to set a new standard at it's price, much the same as the Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO has.

The price is currently set at £1,495 but we will monitor the competition to ensure our price is competitive when it arrives.

If you would like to be one of the first to use this new mount we have a facility where you can pay a 10% deposit, the balance will then be due when your mount is ready for dispatch. Guess who is already first in the queue :grin:

Steve

Posted Image

daz

daz

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 19,054 posts
Looks the business!
Can I swap Andrew for one???

Daz
GSO 8" RC, Skywatcher ED80, EQ6 + SS, Pentax 10x50 bins, Atik One + OAG + Atik GP
Problem? email me HERE

E621Keith

E621Keith

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,043 posts
The RRP sounds a bit expensive for what is essentially an NEQ6 with a different altitude mechanism, but for 1.5x the price of the latter. However, it's about the same as the IEQ45.
Does the £1.5k price tag include the Starbook-like Synscan Tour controller, or does it use the standard Synscan hand controller?
Keith

C9.25, SV80s, Borg 77EDII, SM60II BF10
GPDX+SS2K, GP2+dual axis, Skytee2, Borg 3106 SWII

michael.h.f.wilkinson

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Hyper Giant

• Moderators
  • 17,565 posts
Does it have a higher load capacity than the NEQ6 (the site list 25 kg for the AZ-EQ6 but no data on the NEQ6 (20kg according to most listings I have found))

Scopes: Celestron GP-C8, APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO, Lunt LS35THa B1200, SkyWatcher ST80, home-brew Alt-Az mount, 4.5" F/4.3 MiniDOB (for the kids)

EPs: Pentax XW 7mm and XW 10mm, Televue Delos 8mm, Naglers 12 mm,17mm, and 22mm T4, and 31mm T5, Vixen LVW 42mm, 2x MaxVision 24mm 68°, William Optics Zoom 7.5-22.5mm, William Optics 2" Dielectric diagonal, Orion Optics 2" 90° Amici prism Denkmeier filter-switch star diagonal with O-III, H-beta, UHC and moon filter

Imaging stuff: Meade S5K TeleXtender 2x and 3x, TeleVue PowerMate 2.5x, TeleVue TRF-2008 0.8x reducer/flattener, ZW-Optical ASI130MM and ASI120MC, The Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS, Brightstar filter wheel, LRGB+IR filter set, modded Canon EOS 450D.

Bins: Helios Apollo 15x70 HD, TS 15x70 (repaired, for kids), Bresser 10x50, home-made P-mount Mk-III

Observation summary: Messier: 110/110, Caldwell: 97/109, RASC Finest NGCs: 93/110, Herschel: 306/400, Brightest Planetaries: 60/100, Planets: Mercury to Neptune (inclusive), Minor planets: 2, Lunar: 55/100, Comets: 12, Supernovas: 9, Novas: 1, Quasars: 3

Black Knight

Black Knight

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,962 posts
Can I PX my NEQ6 for one? :D
Andy
NEQ6 Pro, APT, PHD, EQMod, AstroPlanner
Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 8" Quattro, Skywatcher Skymax 127, Skywatcher ST80
Atik 314L+ and 16IC, QHY5, Canon 500D (modded)

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts

Looks the business!
Can I swap Andrew for one???

Eeer... :grin:

The RRP sounds a bit expensive for what is essentially an NEQ6 with a different altitude mechanism, but for 1.5x the price of the latter.

Whilst Skywatcher have clearly styled it to look similar to the NEQ6 it is a completely redesigned mount with less weight and more load-bearing capacity, not to mention the ability to be used in Alt-Az and GEQ modes and the patented dual-encoder technology.

However, it's about the same as the IEQ45.

I am not familiar with the IEQ45. You'll need to speak with Altair or Olly, we don't stock Ioptron.

Does the £1.5k price tag include the Starbook-like Synscan Tour controller, or does it use the standard Synscan hand controller?

Good question. I expect it includes the more traditional Synscan handset and the other will be available separately, but I'll check :smiley:

Does it have a higher load capacity than the NEQ6 (the site list 25 kg for the AZ-EQ6 but no data on the NEQ6 (20kg according to most listings I have found))

It does but we take manufacturer's payload figures with a pinch of salt. We'll know soon after the mounts arrive.

HTH :smiley:

E621Keith

E621Keith

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,043 posts

Whilst Skywatcher have clearly styled it to look similar to the NEQ6 it is a completely redesigned mount with less weight and more load-bearing capacity, not to mention the ability to be used in Alt-Az and GEQ modes and the patented dual-encoder technology.
Good question. I expect it includes the more traditional Synscan handset and the other will be available separately, but I'll check :smiley:

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise the capacity increased. Do you have any more information about this dual encoders? Are the encoders attached directly onto the RA and Dec shafts or are they located on the motors before the worms and gears. Do you know the resolution of these encoder? Are they low resolution types for GOTO/Push-TO (degree/arcminutes accuracy) or high resolution types capable of correcting periodic errors like the ones used in Telescope Drive Masters (arcsecond accuracy)?

Some pictures of the AZ EQ6 are shown with the Starbook-like controller while others show it with the standard controller. This includes the ones in the FLO site (AZ mode with the Synscan Tour, GEM mode with the Standard Synscan).
Keith

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts
Keith, I doubt even Skywatcher's UK importers know the mechanical layout of the encoders. The first delivery is scheduled for November and I hope it is a long time after then before we have reason to strip one down :smiley:

PEC control in GEQ mode is included.

I have removed the photo showing the Synscan Tour handset from our website, to prevent confusion.

Here is the specification from our website:

Specification

Payload Capacity: 18kg for imaging and 25kg for visual
Driving resolution: 0.1436 arc second
Go-To Capability: EQ and AZ modes
Synscan Handset Database: over 42,900 celestial objects
Tracking Speed: sidereal, solar & lunar rates
Tracking Mode: EQ or AZ, dual or single axis
PEC control in EQ mode
Autoguider Port : Yes
DSLR Electronic Shutter Release Port: Yes
Motor Type: DC12V stepper motors
Patented Dual-Encoder design allows manual movement without losing positional information
Polar alignment: via software control or supplied polar scope
Alignment methods: 1, 2 or 3 star alignment (EQ) / brightest star or 2 star alignment (AZ)
Telescope Connection: 2 x dual-fit saddle plates supplied accepting 45mm & 75mm dovetail bars
RA/DEC Worm Gears: D=92.5mm, 180 teeth, brass
RA/DEC Axes: D=40mm, steel
Tripod: 2” Stainless Steel
Counterweights supplied: 2 x 5kg
Counterweight Bar: 25mm Diameter
Mount Body Weight: 15.4kg, Tripod Weight: 7.5kg
Power requirement: 12V DC 3A (Sky-Watcher 17Ah Power Tank recommended)

Tinker1947

Tinker1947

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,706 posts
Well you have had this years and next Astro budget last week, so all the bugs will be sorted before i have to consider it as a upgrade or not........ :grin:

NEQ6 Pro, Skywatcher 250P DS +  Moonlite CR2, Skywatcher Skyliner 300P GoTo + Moonlite CR2, Tracer 12v 14Ah Battery, Baader 2"-1.25" Click-Lock Adapter, Baader 2" Click-Lock 47mm extention

Astrozap Dew Shield + Shroud, Baader Coma Kit,Telrad x 2, Canon 600D Modded, ST-80 Guide Scope + Lodestar Auto-Guiding, EQ-Direct

Hyperion, 13mm, 17mm, 24mm, Hyperion Aspheric 31mm, 36mm, Pentax XW 5mm, XW 7mm, XF 8.5mm, XW 10mm, XF 12mm, XW 14mm, XW 20mm, XW 30mm

Baader Filters, 2" UV/IR Cut, 2" Neodymium, Messiers  81/110, Small Obby, Mey Observing Chair

michael.h.f.wilkinson

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Hyper Giant

• Moderators
  • 17,565 posts

It does but we take manufacturer's payload figures with a pinch of salt. We'll know soon after the mounts arrive.

HTH :smiley:

True, but at least you can get some relative idea of how much more it can handle than an NEQ6

Scopes: Celestron GP-C8, APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO, Lunt LS35THa B1200, SkyWatcher ST80, home-brew Alt-Az mount, 4.5" F/4.3 MiniDOB (for the kids)

EPs: Pentax XW 7mm and XW 10mm, Televue Delos 8mm, Naglers 12 mm,17mm, and 22mm T4, and 31mm T5, Vixen LVW 42mm, 2x MaxVision 24mm 68°, William Optics Zoom 7.5-22.5mm, William Optics 2" Dielectric diagonal, Orion Optics 2" 90° Amici prism Denkmeier filter-switch star diagonal with O-III, H-beta, UHC and moon filter

Imaging stuff: Meade S5K TeleXtender 2x and 3x, TeleVue PowerMate 2.5x, TeleVue TRF-2008 0.8x reducer/flattener, ZW-Optical ASI130MM and ASI120MC, The Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS, Brightstar filter wheel, LRGB+IR filter set, modded Canon EOS 450D.

Bins: Helios Apollo 15x70 HD, TS 15x70 (repaired, for kids), Bresser 10x50, home-made P-mount Mk-III

Observation summary: Messier: 110/110, Caldwell: 97/109, RASC Finest NGCs: 93/110, Herschel: 306/400, Brightest Planetaries: 60/100, Planets: Mercury to Neptune (inclusive), Minor planets: 2, Lunar: 55/100, Comets: 12, Supernovas: 9, Novas: 1, Quasars: 3

E621Keith

E621Keith

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,043 posts

Keith, I doubt even Skywatcher's UK importers know the mechanical layout of the encoders. The first delivery is scheduled for November and I hope it is a long time after then before we have reason to strip one down :smiley:

PEC control in GEQ mode is included.

I have removed the photo showing the Synscan Tour handset from our website, to prevent confusion.

Here is the specification from our website:

Specification

Payload Capacity: 25kg (EQ and AZ modes)
Driving Resolution: 0.1436 arc second
Go-To Capability: EQ and AZ modes
Synscan Handset Database: over 42,900 celestial objects
Tracking Speed: sidereal, solar & lunar rates
Tracking Mode: EQ or AZ, dual or single axis
PEC control in EQ mode
Autoguider Port : Yes
DSLR Electronic Shutter Release Port: Yes
Motor Type: DC12V stepper motors
Patented Dual-Encoder design allows manual movement without losing positional information
Polar alignment: via software control or supplied polar scope
Alignment methods: 1, 2 or 3 star alignment (EQ) / brightest star or 2 star alignment (AZ)
Telescope Connection: 2 x dual-fit saddle plates supplied accepting 45mm & 75mm dovetail bars
RA/DEC Worm Gears: D=92.5mm, 180 teeth, brass
RA/DEC Axes: D=40mm, steel
Tripod: 2” Stainless Steel
Counterweights supplied: 2 x 5kg
Counterweight Bar: 25mm Diameter
Mount Body Weight: 15.4kg, Tripod Weight: 7.5kg
Power requirement: 12V DC 3A (Sky-Watcher 17Ah Power Tank recommended)

Is the tracking accuracy really 0.1436 arcseconds? Even if the error is 0.1436 arcminutes p-p (8.6 arcseconds), it will be much better than most mounts. I'm going to wait for some users review first, but if they really achieve that level of accuracy then I will be very interested in getting one.
Keith

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts

True, but at least you can get some relative idea of how much more it can handle than an NEQ6

The maximum paylod quoted seems to depend on which country you live. I have found quotes from 20-25 kg compared to the NEQ6 which is generally quoted at around 16-18 kg. If we accept these figures then the new Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT can carry 11-56% more than the Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO.

Keep in mind that whilst payload capacity matters it doesn't tell us much about the design and quality of manufacture.

Is the tracking accuracy really 0.1436 arcseconds? Even if the error is 0.1436 arcminutes p-p (8.6 arcseconds), it will be much better than most mounts. I'm going to wait for some users review first, but if they really achieve that level of accuracy then I will be very interested in getting one.

Skywatcher are moving upmarket so we should expect performance enhancements and improvements but we are discussing a mount that has not yet arrived in the UK and we need to hear feedback from owners to really know what it can do. Personally I am confident it will perform well, but I am a retailer... :grin:

Fortunately, if you are reading this you have already found the best source of real-world information because the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT's strengths and weaknesses will soon be discussed at length by real astronomers here at SGL :smiley:

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts

Well you have had this years and next Astro budget last week, so all the bugs will be sorted before i have to consider it as a upgrade or not........ :grin:

Okay, we'll leave you a while to lick your wounds :angel:

Sp@ce_d

Sp@ce_d

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,586 posts
:icon_question: Hmmm wasn't this supposed to be 26% lighter than the neq6?

NEQ6 Pro - Mount Weight: 16Kgs
AZ - EQ6-GT Mount Weight:15.4kg
Both tripods are the same at 7.5kg

- Second star to the right and straight on till morning
RoR Obsy : Mounts: NEQ6, HEQ5 Pro  Scopes: SW80ED, WOZS66 APO, ST80, Coronado PST, Tal 100RS, WOZS71 ED, Esprit 80, C9.25(Moonlite)
Camera's: Canon 1000D (Modded), SPC900NC (Flashed 880), QHY5, SX CoStar, 3 x Atik314L+ "The Triple Shooter", DMK21AU618.AS
Software: MaximDL, Nebulosity, RegiStar, CS3, PixInsight 1.8

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts
That's what was said back in February... :smiley:

I hope they have managed to make it lighter. We'll put one on the scales when they arrive.

Sp@ce_d

Sp@ce_d

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,586 posts

That's what was said back in February... :smiley:

I hope they have managed to make it lighter. We'll put one on the scales when they arrive.

Hope it's less than the 15.4kgs quoted.. It isn't much less than the neq6 and my backs convinced me to put that on a permanent pier now. For heading out to a dark site a 4kg lighter eq6 would be very tempting!

Great the edits back... :laugh:
Mind you I suppose for imaging the weight helps to stabilize it... ho hum..

Edited by Sp@ce_d, 02 October 2012 - 10:47 PM.

- Second star to the right and straight on till morning
RoR Obsy : Mounts: NEQ6, HEQ5 Pro  Scopes: SW80ED, WOZS66 APO, ST80, Coronado PST, Tal 100RS, WOZS71 ED, Esprit 80, C9.25(Moonlite)
Camera's: Canon 1000D (Modded), SPC900NC (Flashed 880), QHY5, SX CoStar, 3 x Atik314L+ "The Triple Shooter", DMK21AU618.AS
Software: MaximDL, Nebulosity, RegiStar, CS3, PixInsight 1.8

dark knight

dark knight

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,278 posts
Hi, any idea if the mounting for a second scope when in AZ mode is included or is this going to be an expensive addition later?
Carl

Women are like a question all wrapped up inside a conundrum

Orchard View Observatory - Westbury, UK
Sky Watcher 8", Pier mounted EQ6 Pro Synscan
ST80 Guide Scope
QHY5 Guide Camera
EQMod Direct
Nexstar 4 XLT
Canon 1000D modded - Filter Removed
Nikon D80
StarLight Express 516 mono
Atik 1HSII

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts
I am sure that will be included :smiley:

pete_gamby

pete_gamby

Star Forming

• Members
  • 190 posts

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise the capacity increased. Do you have any more information about this dual encoders? Are the encoders attached directly onto the RA and Dec shafts or are they located on the motors before the worms and gears. Do you know the resolution of these encoder? Are they low resolution types for GOTO/Push-TO (degree/arcminutes accuracy) or high resolution types capable of correcting periodic errors like the ones used in Telescope Drive Masters (arcsecond accuracy)?

If your Chinese is any good Keith, the patent that relates to the encoder design is CM201974167U:

http://www.qpat.com/...=FAMPAT&lang=en

Happy reading!

Cheers, Pete

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,307 posts
Nice one Pete :icon_salut:

I had a similar thought last night so this morning tracked down a hi-res photo showing the various patent numbers. But your link is much better :smiley:

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• skywatcher_az-eq6-gt_patents.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users