Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Carton 60mm f/16.7 Refractor & Mount

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
Carton 60mm f/16.7 Refractor & Mount

While it seems that most of the scopes on eBay are rubbish, occasionally some real gems do show up. This Carton 60mm f/16.7 (branded Hilkin for the UK market) is a case in point. The seller didn't do himself any favours as he didn't take any photos of the scope set up, just ones of it in the box. Most people probably didn't bother to take a closer look. Their loss as Carton produced some great Japanese optics.

So I purchased the scope for a mere £59.00 plus postage. What a steal. It came complete with the EQ mount, the original packaging, manual and accessories including the barlow, erecting prism, sun projection bits and the .965" H 6mm H 12.5mm, H 20mm eyepieces. Thanks to the SGL member who gave a heads up about the scope. :icon_salut:

When I opened the box my first impression was that this scope hadn't ever been used. Well once it was set-up there were some very slight signs of use if you looked carefully, but it really did look like a new scope. The objective looks perfect as well, not the slightest mark. The seller had said it had spent most of it's life packed away and unused...he wasn't kidding!!! I have made a couple of changes. Fitted a 1.25" adaptor to the drawtube and also a pair of brass focus knobs and an RA finder. The focuser feels smoother and more precise with the new knobs, not that it was bad in the first place though. I'm also using the EQ mount as an Alt-Az as this scope will be used as a very light grab'n'go set-up.

The optics are super sharp giving pin-point star images as well as great planetary/lunar views. Was surprised by the views of the Pleiades as I didn't expect views this good from a mere 60mm aperture. And at f/16.7 CA just doesn't exist. I can't believe what condition this scope is in and that I actually got my hands on it.

John

PS
Yes I definitely don't need another scope. But at that price !!! :grin:

Hilkin-60-1000-Alt-Az.jpg Hilkin-60-1000-7.jpg Hilkin-60-1000-6.jpg

Hilkin-60-1000-5.jpg Hilkin-60-1000-8.jpg Hilkin-60-1000-9.jpg
  • Caldwell14 likes this

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,350 posts
Interesting that you bought that scope John - it looks a beauty and I have been wondering where it's gone !

I thought very long and hard about that one, asked Q's of the seller and of the folks on the Carton Yahoo group to confirm it was indeed a Carton-made scope. Why I did not click "buy" is beyond me having seen your pics of it !

Congratualtions - I'm filled with curiosity on what the views will be like :smiley:

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3 and Equatorial x 1

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, Neodymium, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

Douglas Adams, 2001 

laser_jock99

laser_jock99

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,258 posts
The build quality looks a step or two above the Tasco's & Prinz Astrals of the same era. I imagine the optics are equally good?

Astro Images & Observatory Photos
http://s48.photobuck...sort=3&page=all
Refractors- SW Equinox 120ED, SW 80ED, Altair Astro StarWave ED80 + 0.7x & 0.6x Reducers

Reflectors- Cape Newise 200mm/F6, Revelation Astro/GSO 6", 8", 10" & 12" Astrograph F4/F2.9 Newtonians

ASA Keller Coma Corrector/Reducer + Baader MPCC III coma corrector. Mounts NEQ6 x 3 

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
I've been very impressed with the views so far. I used to have a WO ZS66 and the Carton is noticeably sharper with better contrast.
I thought about it for a few days before buying it but then decided for that price it's not risking much. Definitely my best eBay purchase. :grin: Wonder what would have happened if the seller had taken some proper pics of the scope set up as per my photos?

BTW found a little Carton logo (diamond with C O C in the middle) on the bottom of the focuser.

john

Hex

Hex

Star Forming

• Validating
  • 193 posts
Nice one, what a lovely looking scope, a great performer too no doubt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mark at Beaufort

Mark at Beaufort

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 3,574 posts
John the scope looks in mint condition - as you say a bargain.

Look forward to further observational reviews.

Mark

Mark

Messier list - 110/110 (complete) - Caldwell list - 62/67 - limit in UK - O'Meara's Hidden Treasurers - 84/87 - limit in UK
Herschel 400 - 394/400 - www.deepskywatch.com - 407/598(UK)  (Quasars - 1)   (Supernovae - 7)  (Nova - 1)  (Lunar 100 - 85/100) Double stars - Sissy Haas book by constellation - (Brightest Planetary Nebulae 28/41  - new venture Oct/2013)  (Comets since 2007 - 10)  (Venus Transit - 2 (UK + USA) -  (Mercury Transit - 1 (UK)  (Total Solar Eclipse - 1 (Turkey) - Annular Solar Eclipse - 2 (Spain + USA)

Observing/equipment secretary - Herefordshire Astronomical Society - website link - https://sites.google.com/site/hsastro/home

estwing

estwing

DOBFEST 3 R.T.T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • 3,381 posts
i did look at this myself...nice scope.

I've gotta Zeiss Telementor and i'm gonna use it!
15x70 Bins
Moonshane 18" F3.9 truss Dob John Nichol mirror OO hi lux coatings. Calvin.

Dobfest 3 Return to the hills!

nightfisher

nightfisher

Sub Giant

• Moderators
  • 9,125 posts
Very nice john, i try to keep of ebay lately as i still have to many scopes, though having sold the little mak and returned a certain 70mm to the supplier 2 have gone this week

jules
Skymax 150 pro......TAL100RS...150p ds...Vixen VMC110...Swift839...some lovely ortho`s and a couple of mounts

"Refracting and reflecting light"

"Just on the border of your waking mind there lies...another time where darkness and light are one, and as you tread the  halls of sanity you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond....i have a message from another time"   prologue by ELO 

F15Rules

F15Rules

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 920 posts
John, that's a beauty! :laugh:

You must be chuffed to bits with that scope..it really looks like new. I love the eq mount, looks very unusual but high quality.

I had a Lumex 60mm COC F15 for a while, and in fact I've now got an old Lumex 60mm F15 mounted atop my Lyra F11 refractor..it doesn't have COC on it and the focuser is cheapish but I'm pretty sure the lens is a Carton..great, sharp stellar images with tight airy disks and great contrast.

Look forward to a detailed first light report!

Dave

One big refractor, One small refractor

Baader Maxbright Binoviewer

Several pairs of eyepieces, Ultima, Tak LE, Tal

Russian Tento 20x60s, Aus Jena 10x50s, Bushnell Japan 7x50, Sirius Japan 8x40 binoculars

A tired pair of eyes

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 6,161 posts
Lovely scope John, nice mount

Dave, are you referring to the one you sold me? Lovely little scope, must use it more. Have found some rings so I can stick it on the Giro II, bit more stable at higher mags then

Stu

A biggish dob, a gaggle of 'fracs, Herschel Wedge and a Daystar Quark Chromosphere.
Too many black & green eyepieces, numerous finders, prisms & diagonals
One EQ and a couple of Alt-Az mounts
An irrational love of smallish apo refractors, from 2.3" to 6"
Nearly done with changing kit......... ;-)

nightfisher

nightfisher

Sub Giant

• Moderators
  • 9,125 posts
I have all but given up on the classic fracs, recently sold my 80mm towa to a member on here, but i keep my hand in with my Vixen 80m custom, f11.4 a really superb japanese frac with razor sharp optics

jules
Skymax 150 pro......TAL100RS...150p ds...Vixen VMC110...Swift839...some lovely ortho`s and a couple of mounts

"Refracting and reflecting light"

"Just on the border of your waking mind there lies...another time where darkness and light are one, and as you tread the  halls of sanity you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond....i have a message from another time"   prologue by ELO 

Kevin Ellis

Kevin Ellis

Nebula

• Members
  • 91 posts
Nice find John

It's interesting that your scope is a Carton branded as a Hilkin as I have a Hilkin 50mm F14 and Hilkin 60 F13 that look like Swifts.

I also have a Greenkat 60mm F15 which looks identical to my Hilkins. I bought this scope with EQ mount, Eyepieces etc in a wooden box for £18 on ebay.

The optics on all three scopes are very good.

Attached

Hilkin 50mm F13 on Eq mount

Greenkat 60mm F15 on Altizmuth mount that came with the Hilkin 60mm F13

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0133.JPG
  • Q 60 Hilkin.JPG

Moonshane

Moonshane

Have I ever mentioned that I like dobs?

• Global Mods
  • 15,898 posts
fabulous looking scopes but it gives me backache just looking at them :grin:

Don't think, feel! It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon.

Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory. Do you understand?

(Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon)

It applies to eyepieces too

Messier 94/110 NGC 186/7836 Caldwell 23/109 Herschel 91/400 (non NGC) IC 1/179 Collinder 93/471 Stock 3/24 Melotte 32/245 Trumpler 1/37 Best 700 183/700 Cambridge showcase double stars 42/111 (123) (133) Lunar 66/100 Comets 7 Planets Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune

F15Rules

F15Rules

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 920 posts
Hi Stu,

That's the one I think :laugh: ..if you look underneath the focuser it should have COC letters (Carton Optical Company).

If I'd had it now I'd have kept it as my "super finder" - the mount was wobbly but the OTA was great, just needed a stable mount. Very good on double stars with a decent eyepiece (1.25" barrel) such as a Baader Ortho type..

cheers
Dave

Russian Tento 20x60s, Aus Jena 10x50s, Bushnell Japan 7x50, Sirius Japan 8x40 binoculars

A tired pair of eyes

estwing

estwing

DOBFEST 3 R.T.T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • 3,381 posts

fabulous looking scopes but it gives me backache just looking at them :grin:

...no pain,no gain..shane!

I've gotta Zeiss Telementor and i'm gonna use it!
15x70 Bins
Moonshane 18" F3.9 truss Dob John Nichol mirror OO hi lux coatings. Calvin.

Dobfest 3 Return to the hills!

Moonshane

Moonshane

Have I ever mentioned that I like dobs?

• Global Mods
  • 15,898 posts
too true. I get my backache carrying the scope :grin:

Don't think, feel! It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon.

Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory. Do you understand?

(Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon)

It applies to eyepieces too

Messier 94/110 NGC 186/7836 Caldwell 23/109 Herschel 91/400 (non NGC) IC 1/179 Collinder 93/471 Stock 3/24 Melotte 32/245 Trumpler 1/37 Best 700 183/700 Cambridge showcase double stars 42/111 (123) (133) Lunar 66/100 Comets 7 Planets Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 6,161 posts
That's the one Dave. I tried, and failed to find any reasonably priced rings for it, in the end I used some guide scope rings I had already. It ain't pretty but it's much more stable on the Giro mount. I've got a hybrid diagonal to take 1.25" ep's and the 9mm BGO works nicely as a higher power in it.

What sort of power do you normally use in these scopes as a maximum?

Stu

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1349204769223.jpg

A biggish dob, a gaggle of 'fracs, Herschel Wedge and a Daystar Quark Chromosphere.

AndyH

AndyH

Russian Informer

• Advanced Members
  • 4,626 posts

..........................What sort of power do you normally use in these scopes as a maximum?

Hi.
With my Carton 60/1000, I find it can easily take somewhere in the 160's for planets, moon etc.

I usually use my Speers 5-8mm zoom, so can vary between 125x and 200x.

On nights of iffy seeing, this is the scope I pick up. The small aperture just seems to be able to cut through the turbulance, unlike the mush in anything larger.

Possibly my best ever purchase and that's saying a lot.

Andy.
Tal 200K, Tal 2M, Tal 1, Tal M, Tal Alcor, Burgess CaF2/La 90mm Doublet Apo, Carton 60mm F16.7 Achro, PZO T50x70 Maksutov, Dark Star 6.25" F7.7 Newt/Dob
Eyepieces, mounts n stuff

Albums - http://stargazerslou...user/381-andyh/

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 6,161 posts
Thanks Andy.

Need to try the 7mm BGO, or even the 3 to 6 mm nagler zoom in that case....

Stu

F15Rules

F15Rules

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 920 posts
Hi Stu

I'd agree with Andy, you should be able to go to 150x to 200x on a good night, on doubles and Moon, planets etc.

I had a look through mine last night with an Ultrascopic (same as Ultima/Parks Gold) 7.5mm at 120x on the Lyra double double and MIzar and it was just lovely to see. Mind you, the Lyra F11 it was sitting on was a whole lot brighter image!

They are great little scopes and remind me so much of my first scopes (Prinz 60mm 440 F15). It was/is amazing what you can see with them.

Interestingly, I couldn't see Vega's 10th Mag optical double companion with it, whereas it was easy in direct vision in the Lyra...mind you, the moon was quite bright..I reckon I might glimpse it in dark skies. Polaris' companion is another target worth looking for with a 60mm..

cheers
Dave
  • Starlon likes this

A tired pair of eyes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users