Narrowband

Good against burglars?

Codmate

This second hand 41mm Panoptic arrived today!

I'm guessing it doubles as a weapon ;)

Hope I get first light on it tonight!

It needed a dust and a scrub, but otherwise seems fine :)

I'm going to have to hack up my EP case to fit it in!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really not sure throwing it at a burglar is a good idea, you know. The blood and guts would take ages to clean off the glass. I'm sure the instructions for Baader Optical Wonder Fluid don't cover that sort of thing.

James

I will give you a tip, don't drop it on your foot. I did and couldn't walk fo 2 days. This was good because if it had not have been the foot it was concrete, which it still hit but only from 3/4 of an inch. Not the best night I spent at a telescope.

Congraulations on the Panoptic 41mm, it's great in every sense of the word, it is my favourite in my LX 200.

Alan.

Here it is in comparison with my previous largest EP, and an AA battery for comparison!

Looks like I might get a few gaps to try it out later :)

I'll try not to drop it, and if I do, I'll try not to drop it on any sensitive body parts :p

OK - I had a great session with this eyepiece tonight, and I would go as far as to say that the views are some of the most spectacular I've seen.

It's expensive - but I'd say if you want a great quality wide view, go for it!

I can't see myself ever selling this.

I have the 21 ethos and 31 nagler and thought they were giants. is the panoptic even larger? thought of getting it but did not know if it would enhance above my two? looking forward to hearing about your viewing.

.....I have the 21 ethos and 31 nagler and thought they were giants. is the panoptic even larger? thought of getting it but did not know if it would enhance above my two? .....

Depends on the scope you are using. A 41mm eyepiece will create an oversize exit pupil in an F/5 scope so the 31mm Nagler, which shows very nearly as much sky, is a better bet in such a scope. The additional magnification that the 31mm Nagler gives will darken the background sky a bit which makes faint DSO's a little easier to spot.

Great eyepiece though it is, I can't see the 41mm Panoptic being a worthwhile addition to a set which already includes a 21mm Ethos and a 31mm Nagler. Unless you are a Tele Vue addict of course !

Depends on the scope you are using. A 41mm eyepiece will create an oversize exit pupil in an F/5 scope so the 31mm Nagler, which shows very nearly as much sky, is a better bet in such a scope. The additional magnification that the 31mm Nagler gives will darken the background sky a bit which makes faint DSO's a little easier to spot.

Great eyepiece though it is, I can't see the 41mm Panoptic being a worthwhile addition to a set which already includes a 21mm Ethos and a 31mm Nagler. Unless you are a Tele Vue addict of course !

I have one and use it mainly in my F 10 and sometimes in my GSO RC but on the other two it is getting a bit big on exit pupil. When I bought it I only had the LX which is of couse F10 it is totally brilliant in this scope and wouls not use any other long eyepiece. But I am a Televue addict and I just stop collecting them, I don't know what it is, I've never had this problem with anything else before. Now I am even thinking of the 21mm Ethos.

Alan.

Shane,

That is some of the worse typing for a while, I must have been having a TV rush or it was withdrawal, I haven't bought one for a week. I want to know what I am going to do when I have all the TV eyepieces I want, surely not start on the ones I don't want. I will end up keeping the Meade UWA 30mm which is fine for me so maybe I am not beyond hope.

Alan.

Haha - you addicts!

I've dabbled big time, but I'm going clean now, before it becomes a habit :p

My experimentation has led to my owning a 3.5 Nagler, 11mm Nagler and the 41mm Panoptic.

I also have a Celestron 35mm Omni Plossl, 25mm Orion Sirius Plossl and 10mm Orion Sirius Plossl.

Combined with my Orion Ultrascopic 2x Barlow, this gives me every focal length I need for now!

I could sell the 10mm (and probably the 25mm), but I'm keeping it (them) for people who I dont quite trust not to breathe on the glass ;)

I'd say that the 41mm Panoptic gives the best views of the lot, although the 11mm (with and without the barlow) gets the most use.

Naturally the 3.5 Nagler gets hardly any use, but it's great when the sky can take it.

The sheer size of the glass on the Pano means you really do get an immersive experience.

I really needed this one, as I had to have something to look at open clusters, such as the Pleiades with.

As it happens, the Pleiades fits in the EP really well in my scope (1200mm FL, 200mm primary).

I really didn't expect it, but the pristine clarity of the view of this cluster just blew my mind.

A great surprise!

The Andromeda Galaxy was very faint from my LP infested garden - but still looked good.

The weight isn't a problem on the XT8 Classic. Even with the Telrad in place as well as the 41mm Pano, the tension springs held the scope just fine; although I wouldn't add any more weight without a counter of some kind.

I was thinking of getting a focus extension barrel, as I can't quite focus with the Pano. I'm not quite pushing it all the way in for now, as this means that I can get the focus bang on. It seems stable enough like this to be honest, but I may get the extender just for convenience. It's really just a matter of between 3 and 5mm.

My next job for this EP is going to be spending some time on the open clusters in Cygnus and generaly scanning the Milky Way which is of course impossible to see from my city garden.

Nice one naming the EP Swamp Thing!

That's what it gets called from now on!

All hail to The King baby!

You clearly love this eyepiece as I do mine, it was my first Televue and now it has a whole family to keep it company.

It is really excellent with the size of the LX 200 and this is about the biggest FOV I can get, I can get more with the reducer and a 26mm Nagler but 500 pounds seems a bit OTT for an extra .2 of a degree. I have a 24mm UWA Meade coming so I will give it a try, these are very very good eyepieces too but seem to have fallen out of fashion a bit. Everybody seems to go mad over the Ex Sc eyepieces which I am told are the same thing. Still no one copies 41mm Panoptics, well not yet.

Alan.

I think that's probably right Shane. It gives 4.04° degrees in my AT106, very nice at dark sites.

There is a 55mm TV Plossl which is almost as good, just under 4° for alot less cash but again needs dark skies otherwise the sky background is pretty bright

Stu

I think the 41mm Panoptic is literally the biggest field you can get in any 2" eyepiece?

The Vixen LVW 42mm is specced to deliver a 72 degree AFoV which is a tad larger than the 41mm Panoptic. The Panoptic will be sharper at the edges though.

The 55mm plossl will deliver a 9.17mm exit pupil in the OP's scope :shocked:

Archived