Narrowband

CG5 Advanced GT Firmware Upgrade!

Stargazer33

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a bit of uncertainty that I have regarding the upgrading of the hand control and motor control firmware for my CG5-GT mount.

I have read through a number of posts regarding this type of upgrade but none of them seem to cover this issue.

My hand controller returns the following reading when I select 'Version' from the 'Utilities' option in the Menu:

HC: 410 (I think I am missing a '.' there, but that is what I have written down)

MC: 5.07 5.07

I am assuming that the double figure for the MC relates to each of the motors - RA then Dec? :huh:

My question is: Do I need to go through all the higher firmware version or do I just go for the very latest one?

There are two versions for the HCupdate: 1.1.12 and 1.1.14. There are also two verisons for the MCupdate: 2.2.4 and 2.2.5. So do I install 1.1.12 for the hand controller and 2.2.4 for the motor controller and then upgrade again to 1.1.14 for the hand controller and 2.2.5 for the motor controller, or do I just go straight to 1.1.14 and 2.2.5?

Also, just looking at those numbers; why are my version numbers so different from the ones on Celestrons website??? :shocked::huh:

Thanks in advance to you wise and lovely people!

Bryan

BTW, I have an old laptop that actually has an RS232 port so I hopefully shouldn't get any of those nasty problems with the virtual COM port due to having to use an RS232 to USB convertion cable! :grin:

Hi Allan,

I thought that would be the case, judging from upgrading computer software. I was just worried that there may be something in one upgrade that was needed to run the next upgrade. Like you get with Windows upgrades sometimes. My wifes laptop didn't install one of the SP updates properly once and it caused all sorts of problems with subsequent updates!

Bryan

Hi

I upgraded mine for the first time last weekend.

Assuming you can install it then I would go with HCUpdate 1.1.14 (I say assuming since it was written for windows xp and some people have issues installing it on win 7, others don't - but it can be fixed if you do get a problem

, its not the HCUpdate software itself but a windows registry problem)

HCUpdate is just a program that communicates with your handset, shows you a set of menu options and installs the firmware for you

Once you get it running HCUpdate will show you what you can install and download it from the internet for you. I started on 4.16 and went straight to 4.21

Your firmware is a bit older so it may or be possible to go direct to 4.21 - but personally I guess it will (HCUpdate will determine this for you anyway - it's no big deal since its not difficult once you get HCUpdate runnin

The details of the different firmwares are here http://www.nexstarsite.com//Firmware/ASGTFirmware.htm

Thanks guys for all the help/information.

The old laptop that I have not only has an RS232 port, but also runs on XP, so I shouldn't get any problems! :grin: Er... perhaps I shouldn't have said that! :lipsrsealed:

As soon as I get my connection cable I will upgrade the HC and MC control firmware.

Thanks, SGL members come through yet again!

Bryan

It does depend on your pc

if you have an old pc then you need a serial RS232 to RJ22 like this http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/mcc.htm (Celestron NexStar Handset, all models)

or make one http://www.nexstarsite.com/PCControl/RS232Cable.htm

Or if you don't have a serial port then you need a usb to RS232 adapter to RJ22 (I bought one on ebay for £18, worked for me)

I guess if you have a serial port and usb then you could use either depending on cable availability/price

Yes I was considering the Nexstar+ handset a few weeks ago but then I found the SkyQ Link and Celestron app for IPad/IPhone

I guess the old hand set updates will die off and only the Nexstar+ will get evolved ? But then again what innovation feature can they add to command line interface?

Maybe the ipad app route is the future?

Trouble is I don't have an IPad/IPhone and its a lot of cash to spend for a flashy interface, might just wait to see what happens

I use the auto update program. Its a java script that runs on your mac / pc. It checks your handset and motor firmware version, it then downloads the latest versions from the web and updates. Nice and easy to use.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=771

This is straight from celestrons website, so your not dealing with 3rd party programs and firmware etc

I just run mine and i had updates available!!! i run it just about 2 months back, so it seems they are actively working on it all the time which is good news.

Dave

Forgot to mention -- my serial cable was robbed from an old telephone handset to give me the 4 pin RG, i then popped to maplin and picked up a 9 way d type and hood (about £1.50 i think), and soldered it all up. I use the software on my mac using one of maplins serial to usb dongles, and have had no issues at all using it.

Dave

Skyq link looks an excellent piece of kit that i wouldnt hesitate to buy. Until I looked up some prices here in the uk. Im guessing its the usual take the [removed word] out of the uk consumer time of year. Celestron have it on their website for $99, yet uk price ranges from £125 up to £175!!!!!. Conversion rate of $99 = £62. so how can our uk shops justify twice the amount for a price tag? i can guess that there is no way it costs another £62 to ship it to the uk so why the over inflated prices. Even paying tax duty on the unit and shipping, i still cannot get it to anywhere near the uk price tag. :huh::confused:

Looks like i wont be buying until the price drops or i can get a supplier to ship from the USA to here

Just updated my firmware last night after receiving my control cable (bought off of e-bay) and everything went okay...I think! :undecided:

I can't use the CFM auto update program as it only works for the Nexstar + hand controllers.

One thing I am worried about though is although I have a CG5 Advanced GT mount, the hand controller had CGEM firmware on it? So that is what I have upgraded to the latest version of. Have I done the right thing or am I in for one heap of pain? :Envy:

Bryan

Firmware details for ASGT is here http://www.nexstarsite.com/Firmware/ASGTFirmware.htm

Version 4 Hand Control (firmware files are named GEM) - is that what you mean?

Nexstar site seems to indicate the handset firmware is shared?

When I updated mine I'm sure I was offered ASGT by HCUpdate menu (but couldn't swear to it now), you should have 4.21

I assume they are the same firmware, website seems to indicate this plus there is only one nexstar+ handset for asgt/cgem etc

If worst comes to worst you could always re-flash it

Yes I did mean GEM, I was writing my post at work and couldn't remember what the file name was; I just remembered it had GEM in it!

I think I had two GT files appear on my list of available firmware but no ASGT files. I thought I could remember another member saying that they had used the GEM files for their GT mount so I went with a prayer and plumped for the latest GEM one.

I believe it was the 4.21 firmware that I upgraded to. I can't remember at the moment what the motor drivers were - somewhere in the 5s! :rolleyes2::grin:

Thanks for the assists!

Bryan

Archived