A trip to the Southern Hemisphere

Astroscot2

For a number of years Id considered doing something a bit special for a significant birthday that was rapidly approaching. I decided that I wanted to see the southern sky under the very best conditions possible and also take home a few souvenir astrophotos. So early in 2011 I booked up for 7 nights at Tivoli southern sky guest farm in Namibia, and so on the 13th July 2012 with my telescope on my back and a suitcase full of camera kit and few clothes.. I was heading south.

I was collected from the airport not too far from the capital Windhoek, from the airport its around 180 miles to the farm, an hour drive on tarmac and a bumpy 2 hours on gravel, the journey really confirmed the remoteness of my destination, I did not see another vehicle the whole journey and only passed the odd farm – the skies were the most transparent ive ever seen during daylight, deep, deep blue all the way to the horizon no mist or haze. On arrival at Tivoli I was met by the owner Reinhold who made me feel very welcome and was shown to my very well equipped & comfortable digs. I settled in and got my kit ready for the first night ahead. I had booked a Losmandy G11 non goto on a pier for the week purely as I have this mount at home and familiar with it plus I knew it was up to the job.

7965089190_c2173c8875_m.jpg

7965104728_887f859808_m.jpg

I met with the other astronomers staying at the farm for dinner at sundown, the evening meal was a great opportunity to chat about our plans for the evening and to fuel up for the long night ahead, the group were a good mix of imagers and observers. We were well fed and I mean outstanding food, Springbok stir fry and Kudu steaks were a first for me and all washed down with some home brewed wheat beer – absolute bliss. Before departing we collected our packed lunch for through the night munchies – It was little thoughtful details like this that made you feel looked after during the stay.

8004185054_55597a400b_m.jpg

With dinner out the way on the first night I was anxious to see the sky – With only the light from the dining area I headed back to my accommodation. As soon as I was in the darkness I looked up and was gob smacked with the view above me. I knew it would be good but this was stunning, the Milky way was intensely bright with dark structures and lanes going though it, Even not fully dark adapted this was the best view of the Milky way Id ever seen, just incredible, too me it had a 3D look to it, a real feeling of mass above. I must have stood on the same spot for 15 mins just drinking up the sky, with so many unfamiliar stars it was a great feeling, this is what I had come for.

7965368546_b264636cd2_m.jpg

I was surprised how cold it was and a little worried about the ditching of some winter clothing while packing to avoid excess baggage fees, I soon learned the temperature dropped sharply immediately after sun set and during the first part of the week it got well below freezing, -9 on the first night, It certainly felt cold and I resorted to wearing almost every item of clothing I possessed ;-)

The first evening I was feeling a bit unprepared and tired, I had awake since 7am the previous day and decided simple piggy back wide field and familiarisation with my new sky and mount was the better option rather than fiddling about with CCDs and filter wheels. While the camera clicked away I leaned back on my chair with the bino's and

swept the milky way, low on the horizon were the twin glows of the Magellanic clouds, directly above was the central bulge of the milky way crammed with nebulae and clusters and if I leaned far enough back on my chair and tilt my head back I could see the constellations I was familiar with in the north, even the plough. The following nights I would be at my observing platform earlier and the obvious cone of the zodiacal light could be easily followed for some distance. I never got accustomed to the views of the MW and it always amazed me each night stepping out into the dark.

7965183758_33b0eb01f6_m.jpg

7965308772_4276905351_m.jpg

The end of each night would normally be signaled by the sight of the zodiacal light and Venus rising, Venus itself was so bright that if I stood next to the white observatories my shadow was plainly obvious. I was also lucky that my stay coincided with the conjunction of the Jupiter, Venus and the moon next to the Hyades and Orion rising on the 15th July, a memorable evening.

One evening I invited myself over to see what the observers were viewing, my visit was just at the right moment to climb the ladder to view omega centauri through the 20” Dobson, I was also spared some time that evening to use the 6” fujinon bonoculars, this was probably the best 15 mins observing ive ever experienced in all my years peering upward. The observers had quite an extensive target list and from conversations over dinner remarked on seeing the moons of Uranus & Neptune with ease, an indicator of how good the skies were.

7965112274_73bb44cb32_m.jpg

7965100186_09e9d8d7ed_m.jpg

7965358544_15f01d87de_m.jpg

During my week stay I had 7 clear nights Dusk to Dawn, there were wild fires in the north on one evening that spoiled the transparency a little but apart from that it was perfect. I made full use of every moment and surprisingly left all my imaging kit gremlins at home.

The whole trip was full on with optional excursions including flights available during the day if you had the stamina. Reinhold and family take great care for you and really can’t do enough to make you feel welcome; Reinhold himself has incredible knowledge of the sky and of the equipment they offer for rent.

7965122276_3b6ff45c5e_m.jpg

7965114938_af0fa87bd4_m.jpg

7965117702_d13e477585_m.jpg

This is one trip I would love to get the opportunity to do again, next time however I would go lite as Tivoli as a huge inventory of instruments and has just about every bit of kit you could need. I would thoroughly recommend this trip to anyone who really wants to see the southern sky, for me a totally unforgettable experience.

7965329042_ef355db717_m.jpg

Mark

Link to Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/astroscot2/

• 3 months later...

Many thanks. I did more imaging that week than in the last 3 years combined. If your planning an astronomy related holiday I recommend giving Namibia a go. You really need to see that MW at the zenith and not skirting the horizon, and its not as expensive as you think.

Archived