Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Heart

Shibby

Nice, clear and moon-free last night so I was looking forward to getting some colour subs for various targets, in particular this one!

To add to my existing Ha for IC 1805, I gathered some 4min & 2min (lower ISO) subs; the idea of these being to try and maintain star colour on the brighter stars.

I combined this colour data with the Ha and came up with the following. This nebula is almost entirely Ha it seems, and it's suprising how little colour data is needed when you have a decent Ha layer for it! (I say this because it works pretty well when only comined with a few of these colour subs) Still, it takes the total integration time over 13 hours which is by far my record!

All comments & suggestiong are, as always, very welcome. I'm rather tired today so not sure my eyes are working properly!

Ha: 66x600s ISO-800

Colour: 23x240s ISO-800

Extra star colour: 18x120s ISO-400

Camera: Canon 450D, modded

Scope: Skywatcher 150PDS

Mount: Vixen GP

Guiding: Orion mini finderguider + SPC900 webcam (unmodded)

gallery_5051_1080_178861.jpg

I very much like this too - The nebula's got some lovely detail, but I particularly like the star colour you've captured / retained... and also the apparent lack of noise - Well worth the effort of 13 hours, and an excellent DSLR image...

Thanks all :D

No I don't mind at all Gina. Perhaps the image could indeed be pushed a bit further at this scale.

I will see what effect a hint of local contrast enhancement does for it too - thanks for the suggestion Rob and Mark!

Ok, here's my tweaked version. Improvement? As suggested, I've used some contrast enhancement and pushed the levels a little more.

I've tried to keep the reds looking red; they usually turn a bit pink when bringing Ha into the luminance. To compensate, I add the Ha in lighten mode first, then apply more Ha luminance to the red channel than the others. Not sure I have fully achieved that or not...

There are blueish regions throughout the nebula that are just starting to show here, but mostly the Ha washes them out - maybe one day I'll get an OIII filter and try that! :)

gallery_5051_1080_1032543.jpg

That's is indeed an improvident, Lewis!

To remove pink cast you can also use selective color in PS.

Another way to preserve color is to add initial layer above the luminosity layer and change the mode to Soft light.

You can then play with opacity.

Mark

Mark

Archived