Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Mesu 200 mount

olawelin

Hello, after reading about the Mesu 200 for some time and needing a bigger mount for my observatory I finally ordered it, waited 4 days and here it is!

I am waiting for a new dovetail clamp and when it arrives the plan is to mount a few more scopes on it.

It runs very smooth and the installation was easy, just waiting for some clear skies now.

//Ola

post-9411-0-57099500-1346778657_thumb.jp

post-9411-0-41023800-1346778672_thumb.jp

post-9411-0-05898600-1346778683_thumb.jp

Snyggt! (=looks nice)

I get the feeling that you'll love it! The full obsy setup seems ideal with plenty wind protection. Looking forward to your reports - and images! (I am really only assuming that the MESU might be more sensitive to wind than a traditional worm design, but that is based on, well, nothing really. Nice obsy anyways for any setup!

Have fun!

Horray! another one! I think you'll have fun. The one star alignment is easy and doing a drift alignment is dead easy with the adjusters on this mount (thank god i never have to use the eq6 adjusters again)

great looking setup :D

How can i say this? I hate you.

Hello, after reading about the Mesu 200 for some time and needing a bigger mount for my observatory I finally ordered it, waited 4 days and here it is!

I am waiting for a new dovetail clamp and when it arrives the plan is to mount a few more scopes on it.

It runs very smooth and the installation was easy, just waiting for some clear skies now.

//Ola

post-9411-0-57099500-1346778657_thumb.jp

post-9411-0-41023800-1346778672_thumb.jp

post-9411-0-05898600-1346778683_thumb.jp

How can i say this? I hatr you; i am jealous, and i hate you....

Snyggt! (=looks nice)

I get the feeling that you'll love it! The full obsy setup seems ideal with plenty wind protection. Looking forward to your reports - and images! (I am really only assuming that the MESU might be more sensitive to wind than a traditional worm design, but that is based on, well, nothing really. Nice obsy anyways for any setup!

Have fun!

Jesper, I think it's the opposite. The wind will blow a mount back and forth across the free backlash before it does anything else. No backlash means no movement until the wind is strong enough to push the drives. If it is strong enough to make the friction drive slip (not likely) then it would be strong enough to wreck a worm driven mount's image as well. The Mesu is incredibly insensitive to balance and, for the same reasons, I think it is insensitive to wind as well. Personally I think that, at long focal lengths, the wind will destroy the seeing even if it doesn't get to your mount.

Olly

Having no experience with the Mesu design, I wonder how much does it take to push the drives? I'd imagine that you'd be pushing the drive rather than causing a slip - but is is possible to push it out and away from its guide star having no absolute encoders? It's very interesting since my next mount is very much for anti wind purposes. The wind clears the brown smog here in town - and I only have turbulance to live with - much better than a quarter mile thick layer of diesel... I was pondering whether a sturdy worm such as the 31mm AP one would do the trick but may need to reconsider this theorem of my own ignorance.

Anyways, don't wish to go astray from the OP's topic and once more salute a cracking setup!

Having no experience with the Mesu design, I wonder how much does it take to push the drives? I'd imagine that you'd be pushing the drive rather than causing a slip - but is is possible to push it out and away from its guide star having no absolute encoders? It's very interesting since my next mount is very much for anti wind purposes. The wind clears the brown smog here in town - and I only have turbulance to live with - much better than a quarter mile thick layer of diesel... I was pondering whether a sturdy worm such as the 31mm AP one would do the trick but may need to reconsider this theorem of my own ignorance.

Anyways, don't wish to go astray from the OP's topic and once more salute a cracking setup!

Yes that is right, the mount don't slip when you push, I only push the mount when the motors are disengaged so I don't know how stiff it is when motors are engaged, sorry,

//Ola

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived