Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D/Rebel T3

russellhq

This thread is confusing me :)

Are you saying an image taken at 18mm is the same field of view of one taken with a 50mm lens ?

Canon's own figures for the 18 / 55 lens give the two extremes as 74* at 18mm and 27* at 55mm.

Someone or something is reporting incorrectly.

Having imaged at both 18mm and 50mm I can ease your mind and say the two fields of view are nothing like.

Dave.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks dave, but that's pretty much what we are saying. James took the image in the upper left of the overlay above at 18mm with his 18-55mm lens, whereas another member took the lower right image with the canon 50mm prime lens: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/158833-first-attempt-with-dss/

They both appear to have similar FOV's and that's why we are confused :confused:

I've dropped the poster of the second image a PM to see if (s)he can confirm the settings used. Meanwhile I'm going to try to work out the field of view from another image I've taken that doesn't suffer from LP.

James

I've dropped the poster of the second image a PM to see if (s)he can confirm the settings used. Meanwhile I'm going to try to work out the field of view from another image I've taken that doesn't suffer from LP.

The poster has responded saying that theirs is in fact an 18mm focal length image and not 50mm at all. That's that cleared up then :)

I'm not sure about committing to the 50mm lens now. I might have a look around to see what's about around the 20mm mark. I don't even care if it's an old lens that has to be used on manual, for fairly obvious reasons. Be nice to see some 50mm wide field images posted for comparison though.

James

Archived