Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D/Rebel T3

russellhq

I'm considering buying the 1100D for astrophotography work and looking on ebay there are some good deals to be had on manufacturer refurbished cams. Only thing is though that some are labeled as U.S. items with the description "Rebel T3" but located in the UK (so no Import duties) e.g..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab595871d

Has anyone had experience of the U.S. version? And would you pay the extra for a UK model?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c2a82c704

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cc998666d

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think there's any difference.. just down to marketing & warranty which if you're going to mod it you'll be invalidating anyway. I'm always a bit wary of some the stuff on the bay saying UK & then coming from the east. Bear in mind that the likes of Jessops.. WEX .. Calumet are doing the body for 295 / 299

I brought a refurbished E-bay 1100D, £265 with a kit lense, works really nice for AstroP....thinks is a USA Import but it works and that what counts.....if your not going to use a laptop then one of theses will do for outside in the dew......i use one all the time just pop it in a freezer bag if there's and dew forming.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-Remote-Control-RS-60E3-Canon/dp/B003WD0IKO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345670037&sr=8-4

I brought a refurbished E-bay 1100D, £265 with a kit lense, works really nice for AstroP....thinks is a USA Import but it works and that what counts.....if your not going to use a laptop then one of theses will do for outside in the dew......i use one all the time just pop it in a freezer bag if there's and dew forming.....

http://www.amazon.co...45670037&sr=8-4

What lens did you get with the camera?

I bought a Rebel T3 off ebay for just over £200 inc. carriage (UK seller) and as I have the UK version 1100D too I can vouch for them being identical except for the badging - and that includes stripping down and doing the filter mod (again, done on both). In fact I find it handy to have one of each connected to the netbook as I can easily tell which I'm on by the reported model. Apart from that there's no visible difference. I have no qualms about buying the US badged version from a UK seller.

Thanks Gina. I've read a lot of your posts on modding this camera, so getting your seal of approval gives me a lot of confidence :D

I don't suppose you have any opinion on the lenses that are packed with the camera? I was thinking of getting the EF-S 18-55mm IS II for when I want to take widefield shots.

If I were buying one lens purely for wide field use I'd probably go for the 50mm f/1.8. The 18-55mm is clearly more flexible, but it does show noticeable distortion around the edges of the image.

James

It does. I guess it's a question of how wide a field of view you're after. The images I've taken with the 18-55mm at 18mm and f/4.5 (the best it would do) look pretty much comparable in terms of field of view to ones taken by others with the 50mm f/1.8, but there's far more distortion at the corners in my images. At 55mm I don't think you'd be getting a particularly wide field of view. If the sky were clear I'd give it a go, but at the moment it feels like our next clear sky is due in 2021 (except those that are within two days of full moon, of course).

James

Ok, this is one of my images of the southern end of the Milky way (Aquila down, basically), suffering from a nasty dose of LP but otherwise not too bad. Just needs a bit more processing once the gradient is removed. This was taken with the 18-55mm lens at 18mm and f/4.5 using my 450D:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/158602-lp-gradient-removal/

And this is another of pretty much the same area of sky taken with the 50mm f/1.8 on a 60D:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/158833-first-attempt-with-dss/

The bottom of the frame on mine is perhaps eight degrees above the horizon whereas the second one is much closer. The positions of the Coathanger and Altair show where the top of the frame is in both and my image ends a little higher than the other.

I'd say that there's a fractionally larger field of view in my image, but there's not an awful lot in it. The 60D has (near enough) the same size sensor as the 450D, too, so that won't make a significant difference. I was genuinely surprised at the similarity of the fields of view and I have to admit that I can't explain it.

James

I'm half-convinced there is, but I can't see where it is. The fields of view do look fairly similar in those two shots. Mine isn't cropped and I'd have expected it to be the significantly wider field. The sensors in the cameras are the same to within 1mm. I freely admit to being mystified :)

James

That demonstrates things very neatly. I get the feeling we're missing some vital bit of information that makes the reason for this obvious. I wish I understood it. I've been really tempted to buy the 50mm lens, but not if it radically reduces the field of view on my 450d. I had the impression from these images that it wouldn't, but I'm concerned that might have been a naive view. It even had me wondering if I had my lens nearer the 50mm end than the 18mm end when I took my images, but absent-minded as I am sometimes, I'd struggle to believe I'd be that bad. Besides, I've just checked the exif data in one of the original image and it confirms an 18mm focal length.

Perhaps someone who understands these things better can explain it.

James

Hi, the censor size on the 450d and 60d is exactly the same. The cannot account for the difference.

I believe I read somewhere that the 18-55 mm kit lens was more close to 18-47 mm. I don't have a source, sorry (and I am to lazy to google right now).

The FOV should really only depend on the censor size and the focal length (assuming image cirle is big enough). However focal lengths are not always 100% accurate (nor focal ratios).

If you want something wider than 50 mm, the new 40 mm f/2.8 pancake lens looks interesting and fairly affordable, though I'd read some reviews first.

Archived