Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad/Quikfinder on a Heritage 130p?

Im not getting on with the standard finder on my Heritage and have heard good things about the above finders.

Has anyone used them on a Heritage?

I know the Telrad is very large, could it be mounted on the OTA bearing in mind its a mini flex tube, It would have to go on the lower bit.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Never tried fitting either on a heritage.

I used to own a Telrad, but found it a big on my 8" reflector.

I tried (and kept) a Rigel. Since then I have used a Rigel on other scopes.

For me, if looking for this type type of finder on this size of scope, a Rigel would be the obvious choice.

But finders are very much a personal choice.

I'm sure someone will be along and tell you how they wouldn't be without a telrad.

Neither answer is wrong.

You could look around for a used finder. If you don't get on with it, you could sell at little or no loss.

It can be mounted on the Heritage, sure, but it IS huge. I got the Telrad for my not so much bigger Explorer 150PDS and it's well worth it. So easy to use. Much better than the Heritage RDF (in my opinion that is). Just to show you how big it is compared to the Heritage, I've placed the Telrad on top of the OTA and snapped a few pics. Although this is without the baseplate but you'll get an idea of the size anyway. Hope it helps.

Heritage130P_Telrad.jpg

WOW! I didn't realise that Telrads were so big! I've just ordered one for my 130p,(haven't told the wife yet!). I'd read so much about Telrads,and it was the bit about them in 'The Pocket Sky Atlas' that pushed me over the edge into ordering one. I hope that it's practical in use with my scope.Though my scope is a solid OTA rather than the Heritage truss construction.Comments/advice anyone?

Yep, same position here, bit of an overkill.The supplied rdf is a little gem when you get used to it.It's easier to adjust than many.

Telrad spare base will fit and stick to the ota, if you want to fit .

Nick.

Agree with this. It took me around 10 minutes to set up the supplied RDF and wherever I point it now is bang in the centre of the eyepiece. Only issue I have found with it, if you can call it that is that you near enough have to put your head on the table/floor to see through it.

Yep, same position here, bit of an overkill.The supplied rdf is a little gem when you get used to it.It's easier to adjust than many.

Telrad spare base will fit and stick to the ota, if you want to fit .

Nick.

Agree with this. It took me around 10 minutes to set up the supplied RDF and wherever I point it now is bang in the centre of the eyepiece. Only issue I have found with it, if you can call it that is that you near enough have to put your head on the table/floor to see through it.

Nothing wrong with the RDF that came with the Heritage. It was pretty easy to align and I like it, no doubt. Just discovered that the Telrad was even easier to use, which is great for a noob like me. :grin:

But I'm using the Telrad on the 150PDS and not the Heritage.

Anyone mounted a Telrad on an Equinox 80?

I have one on my C9.25 and I just bought a second base to mount on my ED80 but realised it won't fit on the OTA between the dew shield (fully extended) and the raised bit at the focuser end. Now I am not sure how to mount it, any ideas?

PS my refractor is not mounted in rings, it mounts on a dovetail with the finger underneath.

Sent from my iPad

Archived