Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LP Gradient Removal

Does anyone have any hints for removing the LP gradient in this image without removing the Milky Way? In the sixty second subs I was taking for this it's turned out rather worse than expected. It's the southern end of the Milky Way, pretty much down to tree-top level and whilst the light from that direction doesn't interfere with visual observing it clearly makes a mess of photography.

I have thought about trying to recreate the gradient in another layer and subtracting it, but I've not tried it yet. Does that sound viable?

post-10871-0-87147600-1344705328_thumb.p

James

If you come across a good method then I'm interested too, there are a couple of links that I just can't follow successfully without making the whole thing worse.

http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~mischa/ps/gradient.html

http://www.flemingastrophotography.com/gradients.html

In the end I have resigned to trying to take flats and see if I can get them right, if not next stop will be Noels actions.

sounds liek a good idea to me, but i've just Google'd "Light Pollution Gradient Removal Photoshop" (click the link for results) and cameup with the following tools that would do it for you via plugins and/or a few steps with different tools within PS (assuming you're using PhotoShop that is)...

GradientXTerminator - link

GalacticFool.com (PS actions) - link

Adriano DeFretais (PS actions) - link

StarTools (stand-alone app) - link

This is a simple example of what GradientXterminator can do. It overdid it a bit, so I used the overdone version as a layer and blended the two.

The bottom right corner still suffers, so this is just to give an idea of that program/plugin does.

post-16323-0-19987900-1344709114_thumb.j

Maybe prevention is better than cure, do you have a LP filter in?

I don't. LP is rarely an issue for visual, so I've never bought one for that and it didn't look quite as bad as it's turned out to be with the camera in my test shots. I might have to look into it.

James

That doesn't look at all bad, I reckon. There's clearly a reasonable amount of data there at least.

With more time spent on it by someone who has better processing skills than I have, I reckon you could have an excellent image there.

hi james hope you dont mind me jumping on the band wagon i used gradient xterminator and a smiple s curve in cs3 i thinks its brought out a bit of detail

Absolutely not. I think that looks excellent.

James

Archived