Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS Solar Transit 11/07/12

A still from the video of the ISS transiting the Sun at 12:38 today. One of the 13 frames the ISS is visible on

captured with my 4" f11 refractor modified for Solar Ha imaging and a DMK21 mono camera running at 60fps

High cloud hasn't helped at all but I'm quite pleased with the results.

gallery_4594_722_31225.jpg

and a stacked image of the ISS using 10 of the 13 images captured

iss_wav.jpg

the video will be online at Youtube and is currently being processed by their system so the quality will gradually improve and always viewing on the Youtube site is recommended.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I've tried a Solar transit, normally I shoot the ISS as a trail across the sky with a wideangle lens. It's a bit different with a scope lol

Oops, transit is what I meant.

Looks like it was all over pretty quickly, blink and you'd miss it.

Oops, transit is what I meant.

Looks like it was all over pretty quickly, blink and you'd miss it.

I captured 13 frames with it on at 60 frames per second so it was in view less than 1/4 second at the magnification I was using

The sunspot is AR1520

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Fantastic! That's really good Kev.. nice framing too.
I wasn't completely sure I'd get the sunspot and ISS in the frame together. I was lucky this time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Absolutely superbbbbbbbbbbb Kev

What shutter speed did you use ?

Don

I pushed the gain up to 300, shutter was 1/1250 and gamma 140. If the cloud cover had gone away I would of pushed the shutter higher

Thanks Kev

I'm hoping to try for a transit on Friday - if the weather ever clears up !

Having looked at your website I'm really in awe now !!!!

You certainly are a master of technique

Regards

Don

good luck with the weather Don. Ps keep up the frame rate, I was shooting at 60fps and only captured the iss 13 times it really motors lol

Archived