Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skysafari Observing Lists By Constellation

Hi All,

This is for all those who use Skysafari to control their scopes.

I wanted a way of observing objects by constellation rather than by "what's in the sky tonight" so I could focus(!) on a constellation rather than zooming all round the sky.

I have attached a zip file with objects by constellation. I don't claim that is is exhaustive or that there are not objects missing. It goes down to about mag 12. But I hope it is useful to fellow astronomers out there. It's taken me a while but I hope it was worth it.

It includes the skylist file and a text file with the list of objects.

Any major objects missing please let me know.

The easiest way to get it onto your ipad (iphone?) is to email the files to yourself, unzip them (there are a few apps around to do this) and then open them in Skysafari. They will then automatically go into your observing lists.

Enjoy!

Simon

Skysafari Constellations.zip

Hi MBJ,

I am not sure as I've only got an ipad. It is exported and imported as a .skylist file.

I would assume that, if you can export to email in Android, it would be a similar type of file and thus can be imported as well.

I may be talking out the top of my head though as I don't really know.

I have attached a single skylist file, Orion, so someone can test and report back if they want.

Sorry, I've had to zip it as it won't accept a .skylist file as a type of file you can upload

Hope this helps.

Simon

Orion.zip

• 4 months later...
Cheers... Many thanks.

On an android device I couldn't find a way to import the list, but you can just copy the text file into skysafariplus\observing lists with a file explorer.

Works a treat.

Thanks again post-21341-13538737294_thumb.jpg

In fact that is how you do it on Android.

Confirmed works for SkySafari Pro on Android Jelly Bean (Nexus 7 3G).

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

This is for all those who use Skysafari to control their scopes.

I wanted a way of observing objects by constellation rather than by "what's in the sky tonight" so I could focus(!) on a constellation rather than zooming all round the sky.

I have attached a zip file with objects by constellation. I don't claim that is is exhaustive or that there are not objects missing. It goes down to about mag 12. But I hope it is useful to fellow astronomers out there. It's taken me a while but I hope it was worth it.

It includes the skylist file and a text file with the list of objects.

Any major objects missing please let me know.

The easiest way to get it onto your ipad (iphone?) is to email the files to yourself, unzip them (there are a few apps around to do this) and then open them in Skysafari. They will then automatically go into your observing lists.

Enjoy!

Simon

Hello , thanks for doing this , I've downloaded it , I noticed there is a galaxy in Hercules that isn't in the list.

Brilliant, thanks. I was reading your post on my iphone and found I could open your link to the zip file in an app called File Manager. That also unzipped them and opening each one in SkySafari automatically imports them. There's an awful lot there so I will just load them as I need them!

• 2 years later...

Archived