SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory Manager Job Vacancy

simon hicks

Hi all,

The Scottish Dark Sky Observatory near Loch Doon in the Galloway Forrest Dark Sky Park is looking for its first Observatory Manager. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person.

The basic info is.....

RESIDENT OBSERVATORY MANAGER

Job type: Permanent, full-time

Duration: Currently funded for 2 years

Closing date: 13th July 2012

Salary: £18,000 - £23,000 with tied accommodation

The Scottish Dark Sky Observatory is superbly situated on the boundary of the Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park and due to open in October. The successful candidate will be self-motivated and an excellent science communicator with an enthusiasm for astronomy and the natural environment. The Observatory will be open to all and it will be the manager’s responsibility to inspire and educate all who visit the centre.

Duties to include:

Fundraising

Management of the daily operation and staffing of the centre.

Liaise with partner organisations.

Organise a calendar of events.

Report to the Board of Trustees.

Further information:

Please visit http://www.intellemetrics.com/SDSO.html for detailed job description and application link.

You can also get some more background information at http://www.facebook....168473513232436

If this is for you then please apply. If you know someone who may be interested then please pass it on.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing you dont need any kind of science degree for this job as it seems to be all about management,fundraising,people skills etc.

Doesnt sound like you would get much of a chance to play with the scope(s).

Ive been in management positions,fundraising positions and have excellent people skills but i think i'll pass on this one because i dont think they would even consider me for the position. Not to mention the fact that my dog does not have a pet passport.

All joking aside, it really does sound like a great job for the right person.

A salary, a house, a 20 inch CDK in a fully automated observatory, imaging cameras, second dome with scope, some of the darkest skies in the UK, a planetarium, links with universities, links to observatories around the world, etc, etc. There will be lots of hard work....and the successful candidate will largely have to be the person to make the whole venture work...so it needs to be someone with drive and enthusiasm who really wants to grab this and make it their own. But lots of toys, and lots of interacting with people of all ages from all walks of life and from all over the world, and the successful person gets to talk astronomy with them for a living......mmmm.....nice.

I have already commented on another thread, i would love this position and the location is a place i would dearly love to be, but my astro skills and such are not up to the mark, so i wont be applying, if it was some thing i felt i could do and to a high standard i would be going for it with all my being

I'm guessing you dont need any kind of science degree for this job as it seems to be all about management,fundraising,people skills etc.

The job description (downloadable PDF) does say you should have a science degree or equivalent experience. Though you're absolutely correct; the job is mainly about fundraising, facilities management, outreach and getting the obsy to be self-financing within 2 years (the contract is only for 2 years).

The really interesting part is that one thing they'd like to do is "investigate the potential for remote access"

"investigate the potential for remote access"

Yes, its in a very dark area....so when the clouds clear it has absolutely stunning skies. Sometimes the observatory will be used just for evening visits, sometimes for all night use. But I guess there will be plenty of time that it is not used from say 10:00pm till dawn. So we're lookin into a sky sensor, plus automating the dome and getting help from a local Uni with setting up auto imaging to a preset plan for those otherwise wasted hours. Not sure who gets to have access to those hours and how....its all up for grabs and the successful candidate will decide along with the board of trustees. So much is still open.

Sounds like an amazing opportunity!, I have two science degrees including on in Astronomy, also some experience of giving tours of an observatory complex to the general public which was such a buzz as Astronomy is the one subject that really makes me light up! My current work as an NHS Radiographer means that I should have good communication skills as I care for patients of all ages and my job relies on me making an instant rapport with poeple. If my wife didn't have a great career working for the RAS at the opposite end of Britain I would be very tempted to try for this position, although as well as it being an exciting opportunity its also quite a daunting one :icon_eek:

Getting a higher profile is one thing, getting it to be self financing is another.

Staff and yourself have to be there when it is dark. Unsociable hours.

Also have to be there during the day for the general visitors. So long hours.

Increased footfall means increased cars and associated facilities - car parks with lights, illuminated pathways from the car park to the observatory. :eek: :eek: Cafe's and a visitor centre, all illuminated.

Suppose that offering a couple of Astro under grads the chance of a year at an observatory with free accomodation and a small salary is an option. Obs gets inexpensive help they get the year out.

The role is interesting but it isn't solely astronomy, they want a business manager, preferably one with some astro knowledge. To get it self sufficent will mean other aspects then Astronomy, basically use the observatory as the focal point for forest walks and cycling routes if possible. Any patches of water for fishing? Camp site for the star parties but that means adding facilities.

Terrible thought but making a success of it could destroy the place as a dark sky location in some ways. As you may not be able to have it isolated and dark yet get a commerical turnover as well.

Suppose the worst aspect is that it is a long way away from a large population, sorry Scotland isn't densely populated and with astronomy being a minority hobby other aspects may well be the main income.

Terrible thought but making a success of it could destroy the place as a dark sky location in some ways. As you may not be able to have it isolated and dark yet get a commerical turnover as well.
Yes, that's the biggest contradiction to any astronomical enterprise. The very thing that we value gets compromised by its popularity (just like all the TV holiday programmes that extol the virtues of "unspoilt" or "the real" regions - only to see them destroyed by all the people clamouring for that experience).

Some years ago I paid a visit to the Very Large Array in New Mexico.

nmmap.gif

While it's obviously not trying to be self-supporting, it does have a visitors centre and some interesting exhibits. However being 50 miles from anything close to "passing trade" it doesn't attract many tourists.

Hopefully this Obsy will get some commercial sponsorship and maybe some tie-ins from The Sky at Night or Stargazing Live as it seems to be a natural place to locate such programmes. Though the last thing they'd want is some "hooray" driving up there at the dead of night with spotlights blazing from every flat surface.

Increased footfall means increased cars and associated facilities - car parks with lights, illuminated pathways from the car park to the observatory. :eek: :eek: Cafe's and a visitor centre, all illuminated.
.....you forgot to mention the flood lights and the nuclear powerplant that will be needed! :-)

Seriously though, your concerns are definitely valid but we have actually thought about them a lot. We are amatuer astronomers that love the dark skies there and would do nothing to ruin that....to do so would be a bit dumb. We all go to star parties with red light policies, etc. The site is right on the edge of the Galloway Forrest, the UK's first Dark Sky Park so the whole area is under quite strict light pollution regulation. The observatory and the route to it will of course be kept dark as will the whole area around. The local community are buying into the venture as well with B&Bs offering dark sky weekends etc. They are being informed of ways to reduce light pollution and the need to do it. The dark skies are actually their asset to protect. There's been a lot of thought put into this by a lot of people for a number of years.

I personally intend to be using the grounds of the observatory for my own long exposure deep sky imaging....so there will definitely be no car lights ruining my evening.

Ahhhhhhhhhh i see another snag for me personally. The place does not seem to be wheelchair friendly.

Not so, Paul. As the architect for the observatory I felt it was important that it was as accessible possible. There is level access around the building once you have driven to the site, accessible thresholds at all entrances, a disabled persons toilet, a stairlift to the upper level and wheelchair access ramps up into the main telescope dome.

Hope to see you there when it opens!!

Colin

Archived