Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noctolucent clouds over Canada

notaclue

A wonderful sight those clouds. I got to see this kind of clouds one night last week and they're really beautiful. It was a nice bonus after my first sight of saturn.

I have actually seen this once myself when I was still living in Sussex (we are talking 45 years ago). I lived in a village with no lighting that was just under the South Downs. I happened to be out on the Downs with the dogs and looked north and saw something very similar to the picture on your link. Didn't know what it was at the time but now I thinks perhaps I do.

A couple of years ago we had some really good displays... I posted a warning on SGL and loads of people managed to get out and view them.

They are very eerie, silvery blue and always seem to move in the opposite direction to "normal" cloud...

This image is a little large, but give it time to load.

NLC_13-07-09%20Ani_sml.gif

NLC_062_13-07-09.jpg

A few days after the above show, we had another. This one was in a league all of it's own. The NCL wasn't restricted to just low in the North... but went overhead. This image is about half a dozen images stitched together.

NLC%2014-07-09_panorama_PETER_med.jpg

Hope you like the pictures.

Ant

Nice photographs. I may have seen them when in Inverness in 1989. Normally between 2-4am the sun goes down and you end up with darkness. But sometimes you get this light blue.

It was talked about in this months Sky at night programme. Could be something fun to look forward to.

Great set of pics! The time lapse was very interesting to watch.

A couple of years ago we had some really good displays... I posted a warning on SGL and loads of people managed to get out and view them.

They are very eerie, silvery blue and always seem to move in the opposite direction to "normal" cloud...

This image is a little large, but give it time to load.

A few days after the above show, we had another. This one was in a league all of it's own. The NCL wasn't restricted to just low in the North... but went overhead. This image is about half a dozen images stitched together.

Hope you like the pictures.

Ant

Archived