Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got Moonraker m8 air control radio scanner

i shall use it to listen to them planes or anything else that mite fly past sometime :)

got one these from maplins only 19.99p thought i'd get one listen to airband as lot planes fly past.

http://www.maplin.co...and-radio-46459

what use could me mini scanner be used in astronomy ?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could use it to listen to radio waves scattering of meteors entering the atmosphere. I see it does fm.

Look online for a radio station to the east of you thats over the horizon, at least 50 miles away. tune you radio to that frequency but make sure you can't recieve any local stations on the same frequency.

When meteors enter the atmosphere sometimes they scatter the far away station you can't normally pick up over the horizon and you can hear them or a whining sound.

On my phone so difficult to go into detail at the moment but you could google ' fm meteor scatter'. Lots of stuff on the net about it.

try 145.800mhz on VHF, you may need to stand outside and track ISS as she scoots across the sky.

if your lucky and someone on ISS is near the ham radio you may be lucky to hear them.

tuning via manual rotary could be a pain, but have a go see if you can pick up ISS.

track her by pointing the antenna and radio at the stations rough alt/dec and follow it through.

use the start time of its transit the mid and end to time the arm sweep with radio.

Just checked when ISS tracking in stellarium from my location will orbit past best around 9:30pm gunna try pointing me radio towards that area

just checked me moonraker radio does have 145.

• Frequency: 54-176MHz (with gaps)
  • Range: Air 108-145MHz PB 145-176MHz WB 162.5MHz TV1 54-87MHz FM 88-108MHz CB 1-80 Channels
  • Antenna length: 300mm

Mite pick up iss guess i shall have try.

Image below of the frequency's do i keep it near that 145 ?

scanner.jpg

Jim very interesting i shall have look into that thanks for info.

Looking on map from where i live in middlesbrough and facing to

east they is radio station about 50 miles away ;)

well station i cant listen to just checked map and it's to east

around 93.6 to 103.1 http://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/

Twist your map around, east from Middlesbrough is Redcar then the north sea :eek::grin:

Twist your map around, east from Middlesbrough is Redcar then the north sea eek.gifgrin.gif

I know that no radio's in redcar mite be new pier like and north sea just went down map to local stations towards that way.

or could went sunderland radio stations ;) could allways try station across sea.

Shall connect me radio to computer sometime with spectrograph software's

installed radio skypipe plots spikes so on.

also have Goldwave recorder which has all the different vu meter's, spectrograms, waveform stuff.

i have tried four times to receiver voice packets from ISS, each four times i have failed.

have a 7ft dipole and 75ohm coax, even that is not enough i do not think.

could find it alot harder with a handheld, but give it a try.

going to get myself a homebase unit or maybe a handheld, decided to sit my foundation ham licence and get me a call sign.

What them software's i just read up about that you just connect radio from speaker output and to pc sound card input and the software some how decodes stuff probably them computer type data sounds that sound like spectrum computer coding

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=5175

Anyone tryed using that software stuff's i tryed download need put card details which i dont have.

look for other software if they is any you guys know of any software to download any links i could use with me simple hand held scanner :)

that software i downloaded other day works the chart thing radio pipe

i would like to try them decoding things they interesing

Here is mp3 of couple voices me moonraker picked up left it on window ledge friday 22nd june 2012 around 9pm to 11pm had frequency near that 145 using gold wave recorder voices are 2 min and 8 seconds from period of 2 hours i just joined all voices together using me mixing software. if i had moved freqency little would picked up better.

http://cliff.r.firstnetserv.co.uk/Radio/scanner1.mp3

Couple radio scanner decoder software found here on this link :)http://www.coaa.co.u...are_signals.htmThat r_meteor detecore i'm testing that now works with radio through sound card gives that class display could use that tune to frequency to that 50 miles radio station stuff ;) listen out for the whining sound.

r-meteor.jpg

Here is mp3 of couple voices me moonraker picked up left it on window ledge friday 22nd june 2012 around 9pm to 11pm had frequency near that 145 using gold wave recorder voices are 2 min and 8 seconds from period of 2 hours i just joined all voices together using me mixing software. if i had moved freqency little would picked up better.

http://cliff.r.firstnetserv.co.uk/Radio/scanner1.mp3

that recording is your local airport.

and going by your location " Durham Tees Valley Airport (MME) " roughly 132.*** MHZ

http://www.dtvmoveme...AirportInfo.htm

sounds like you have hooked into Approach for MME

it is very faded and i can just make out some ALT and heading instructions so would say Approach / radar / tower.

more like approach, scan up the band until you hear a male/female voice repeating info on hight wind etc etc, thats the MME repeater.

will try record some repeater from (IATA: NWI, ICAO: EGSH) my local airport, so you can hear what it sounds like.

that recording is your local airport.

and going by your location " Durham Tees Valley Airport (MME) " roughly 132.*** MHZ

http://www.dtvmoveme...AirportInfo.htm

sounds like you have hooked into Approach for MME

it is very faded and i can just make out some ALT and heading instructions so would say Approach / radar / tower.

more like approach, scan up the band until you hear a male/female voice repeating info on hight wind etc etc, thats the MME repeater.

will try record some repeater from (IATA: NWI, ICAO: EGSH) my local airport, so you can hear what it sounds like.

I actually can pick that female voice that repeats weather conditions have to put radio upstairs to pick that up

I'll have to get radio scanner antenna outside sometime.

That orbcom thing is doing somet lol

What does all that stuff mean i havent clue hehe where all messages

orbcom1.jpg

downlink : this is the signals that transmit down to earth, as you can see it is picking up a few

as they move across the sky the MHZ changes due to doppler shift. hence the range in mhz,

when it finds a satellite the info will change to something like this.

"spacecraft FM -14 123.456mhz frame 01

message (pt 1 of 1) 00000 A007e 9B15F 00001

as you can see the message is encoded so will need decoding to find out what it was.

decoding is the part that is a grey area, if it was coded it means someone does not want you to know.

also the law come into hand when dealing with encrypted/coded messages.

SSTV is your next cliff

like the satellite gathering data text, but this time it converts data into weather sat images :)

there is lots of things you can do.

your fairly close to some military birds on opps around uk and europe.

they based out of MME.

good to hear your getting a decent repeater signal.

another tip, try sourcing signals at night after the sun has gone down.

you find you can reach that little bit more on range, last night i had stanstead repeater ( i am in norfolk )

i also have the lowestoft air show on today and tomorrow. am fairly sure the red arrows are using NWI as a base

my set up:

dipole antenna made from TV rabbit ears,

15m 75ohm coax

EZCAP 668 DVB-T digital radio/tv dongle

i run two machines my desktop quad core, and my samsung N150+ notebook. the best i find is my desktop with onboard soundcard.

on the cards is a discone multiband antenna and a satellite up/down link with a meter fitted.

SSTV is your next cliff

like the satellite gathering data text, but this time it converts data into weather sat images smile.gif

there is lots of things you can do.

your fairly close to some military birds on opps around uk and europe.

they based out of MME.

good to hear your getting a decent repeater signal.

another tip, try sourcing signals at night after the sun has gone down.

you find you can reach that little bit more on range, last night i had stanstead repeater ( i am in norfolk )

i also have the lowestoft air show on today and tomorrow. am fairly sure the red arrows are using NWI as a base

my set up:

dipole antenna made from TV rabbit ears,

15m 75ohm coax

EZCAP 668 DVB-T digital radio/tv dongle

i run two machines my desktop quad core, and my samsung N150+ notebook. the best i find is my desktop with onboard soundcard.

on the cards is a discone multiband antenna and a satellite up/down link with a meter fitted.

You have link to SSTV software :)

i have tried four times to receiver voice packets from ISS, each four times i have failed.

have a 7ft dipole and 75ohm coax, even that is not enough i do not think.

could find it alot harder with a handheld, but give it a try.

going to get myself a homebase unit or maybe a handheld, decided to sit my foundation ham licence and get me a call sign.

Great to see your going to do the foundation course, its an easy going course but you will learn a lot (depending on your teacher).

You will only hear comms from the ISS if they are transmitting, don't forget they are on a different time zone and they might be a sleep or working, time to play radio with us is short. You can check the timeline to find out what the crew are doing and check this link to find out when they have a school contact scheduled that might be in range of you.

A good piece of free software is Ham Radio Deluxe not only does it control many different radio's but it has a nice bit of software called DM-780, it provides most popular sound card digital modes with direct integration to Ham Radio Deluxe Logbook, there is also a wicked satellite tracking program with it too.

Great to see your going to do the foundation course, its an easy going course but you will learn a lot (depending on your teacher).

You will only hear comms from the ISS if they are transmitting, don't forget they are on a different time zone and they might be a sleep or working, time to play radio with us is short. You can check the timeline to find out what the crew are doing and check this link to find outwhen they have a school contact scheduled that might be in range of you.

A good piece of free software is Ham Radio Deluxe not only does it control many different radio's but it has a nice bit of software called DM-780, it provides most popular sound card digital modes with direct integration to Ham Radio Deluxe Logbook, there is also a wicked satellite tracking program with it too.

yes i though it was best to gain a foundation pass.

lets me use a low power on TX but also handy as am fully legal to listen in

and understand more about radio and the other gubbins.

have been learning already about propogation, is handy knowing astronomy and putting that use to radio.

got my furthest DX with the dongle. got hooked into the stanstead repeater (good 50 mile away)

i had been struggling to gain NWI, but could just hear stanstead.

Used to have an old CB (midland or something, a bright all chrome job mobile) them days

everyone was up there own booty. hoodies of the airwaves type folks.

i think ISS is well beyond my reach with dongle, not enough power for me to get a signal.

Just created some rabbit ears ;)

rabbit%20ears%20lol.jpg

Also connected wire to long wire all along that fence

Picking up planes better now.

My Sky viewing area where it's shielded from light :) also long wire along top connected that to me short wave radio picking up all forein radio's on.

Long%20wire%202.jpg

Long%20wire%201.jpg

Got plenty space on me wall for satelite dish ;) when i get one soon.

Archived