Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DMK firewire connection to netbook

Hello hope some one can help, iv recently invested in a netbook to run all my astronomy stuff out in the field, PHD, APT and IC capture for the DMK, only problem is i used to connect my DMK via pcmcia slot on the laptop which had a slot so i could run a firewire cam off the cardbus. the netbook doesnt have one but i do have a wire that came with it, it has the fire wire male which fits in the camera and a 4 pin male firewire on the other end, has anyone seen a usb male to 4 pin female firewire? or how could i connect it?

I can't say for certain, but I'd be highly surprised if an adaptor such as the one you described would work.

Most Firewire devices won't work, or only provide limited functionality when funnelled through a USB adaptor.

I know for a fact that my Firewire DSLRs won't work through an adaptor, all I get is the equivalent of a remote drive. I can't control the cameras.

As a result I spent a long time finding an older Netbook that did have n ExpressCard 3/4 slot in order to control the cameras.

Hopefully someone else can confirm / deny this :)

If the netbook is fitted with the small 4 pin firewire connector, yes you can get an adaptor which also has a 12V power connect (needed to drive the DMK - they just don't work with the available 5v from the computer port)

I used one for a while, but found the small firewire socket on the laptop couldn't take the constant usage and finally broke! I now use an Xpress card (with a 12V supply)

The cable 4 -6 powered firewire were available ex -germany (and the US) - I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: Here it is-

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=346-10108

Archived