Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ADM Losmandy saddle

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro mount: http://www.admaccess...ual_Saddles.htm It would replace the stock Vixen saddle.

For the bar I was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.admaccess...s_Universal.htm (31")

My current scope is a Orion XT10i reflector, but due to the thin Vixen bar it's wobbling quite badly when touched. I'm imaging using this scope and notice quite a bit of flexure on 5min subs. Would this replacement cure this and provide a more stable platform or am I just wasting my money?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to consider is the tube rings, will they still only contact on a single point on each? I dont see moving over to losmandy mounting with a single attachment really helping that much with stability as this is still going to be the weakest point.

For the C11/ NEQ6pro/ Spectroscope combo I changed to the wider Losmandy dovetail and a mandatory Safety Stop bar.

The saddle on the NEQ6 was also upgraded to the much better Geopiks version - this clamps across a longer length of the dovetail than the original SW clamps screws etc.

I've been using this set-up for the past year with no issues/ no problems.

post-2614-0-17716400-1339399068_thumb.jp

Something to consider is the tube rings, will they still only contact on a single point on each? I dont see moving over to losmandy mounting with a single attachment really helping that much with stability as this is still going to be the weakest point.

Yeah, I'm considering getting some Parallax rings later on. My main problem now is that the current dovetail only supports the middle part of the scope, so the tube flexes. A longer dovetail should support the majority of the tube.

HEAVY about 20 kg fully loadedpost-3028-0-98931600-1339352246_thumb.jp

Fantastic setup Michael :icon_salut: .

I got the ADM saddle upgrade for my EQ6 and think it has been worth the money - adds versatility and provides a bigger gripping surface area.

Michael: Don't want to hijack the thread, but noticed that you have the EVO counterweight shaft upgrade on your mount - has this been a worthwhile upgrade?

I wouldn't trust a big OTA like the C11 to the standard puck, especially if you are using the smaller dovetails too.

I've upgraded mine to the ADM. Pricey for what it is, but it makes a heck of a difference. Although I haven't tried DSO imaging on the C11, i do feel that the EQ6 is on its limitis with a such a big OTA. The slightest wind will cause it to move, though if you are in an obsy then you would get a lot of protection

Michael: Don't want to hijack the thread, but noticed that you have the EVO counterweight shaft upgrade on your mount - has this been a worthwhile upgrade?

I'd also be interested in this. Again, it looks like an expensive upgrade, but the standard counterweight bar on mine "flops" at a certain angle.

I'd wait until the puck sizing problem is sorted though (some of the recent ones, including mine, haven't fitted - they are about 2mm too large).

I have a temporary machined puck that does (but I don't have an imperial allen key so that I can switch the saddle onto the puck - have ordered a cheap one from Amazon)

I wouldn't trust a big OTA like the C11 to the standard puck, especially if you are using the smaller dovetails too.

I've upgraded mine to the ADM. Pricey for what it is, but it makes a heck of a difference. Although I haven't tried DSO imaging on the C11, i do feel that the EQ6 is on its limitis with a such a big OTA. The slightest wind will cause it to move, though if you are in an obsy then you would get a lot of protection

I'd also be interested in this. Again, it looks like an expensive upgrade, but the standard counterweight bar on mine "flops" at a certain angle.

It may look (and probably is a bit expensive) BUT I am placing up to 20 kg of counterweights on it. It is a wider diameter (25 cms) and feels right. The old one started to bend and that's not good. WORTH EVERY PENNY (and looks good). Just remember that it does not slide into the body of the mount but is unscrewed when stripping down the mount. When you consider the cost of what we have swinging off the other end it does not seem so expensive after all.

Believe it or not I have a C11 on a CG5 with the ADM saddle and Farpoint Losmandy dovetail. Quite a noticeable improvement, enough to do planetary video

stick some sorbathane blocks between dovetail and OTA and they will dampen your tube vibration too

post-9935-0-79895700-1339452428_thumb.jp

I'd wait until the puck sizing problem is sorted though (some of the recent ones, including mine, haven't fitted - they are about 2mm too large).

I have a temporary machined puck that does (but I don't have an imperial allen key so that I can switch the saddle onto the puck - have ordered a cheap one from Amazon)

Do you mean that the puck provided by ADM is too large? Do you have the newer or older style puck?

It may look (and probably is a bit expensive) BUT I am placing up to 20 kg of counterweights on it. It is a wider diameter (25 cms) and feels right. The old one started to bend and that's not good. WORTH EVERY PENNY (and looks good). Just remember that it does not slide into the body of the mount but is unscrewed when stripping down the mount. When you consider the cost of what we have swinging off the other end it does not seem so expensive after all.

Thanks for the feedback - good to hear you've been happy with it and yes it definitely looks good too!

Do you mean that the puck provided by ADM is too large? Do you have the newer or older style puck?

Yes, the puck supplied by ADM for the new NEQ6 is too large, by about a tenth of a millimetre.

The ADM dual mount puck, which doesn't fit, is 75.93mm

The original Skywatcher puck, which fits "easily" is 75.74mm

The corresponding piece on the mount would appear to be around 75.89mm

Almost there, but not quite.

FLO recently sent me a machined puck, but unfortunately the saddle is attached to the puck by Imperial allen bolts - which I could not undo until today when my cheap 3/16 allen key arrived in a set from Amazon.

I've just set it up - it feels more solid and also smoother than the original. It's longer too.

FLO have spoken to ADM about it, I believe. I am not the only one who has had the problem.

Nope you're not the only one ! I had the same problem with a C11 and the orange dovetail but I used a couple of tiny aluminium wedges so it did work eventually. Was a shock when I first tightened the knobs though as it arrived about two days before I was to take it on holiday ! The gap on mine was about a millimeter after fully tightening it down.

Robert

How long ago did you have this problem regarding the incorrect puck size? Should it be fixed by now?

Nope you're not the only one ! I had the same problem with a C11 and the orange dovetail but I used a couple of tiny aluminium wedges so it did work eventually. Was a shock when I first tightened the knobs though as it arrived about two days before I was to take it on holiday ! The gap on mine was about a millimeter after fully tightening it down.

This would indicate a problem with the dovetail and not the puck, wouldn't it?

Archived