SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

GSO or Skywatcher

Hi folks

Simple question. Which is better GSO or Skywatcher. I'm going for an 8 or 10 inch Dob. The prices are very similar I was just wondering if there are any real differences performance wise. I'm not concerned with accessories just the performance of the OTA and quality of the mirrors.

Cheers

Jon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't tell you exactly, Lancerde, for I don't honestly know, but judging by the amount of posts on and rave reviews of Skywatcher's Dobs here at SGL by experienced and most knowledgeable astronomers, then I feel there must be something in that, some great quantity of 'truth'.

Hope someone can supply a more reasoned response. Good luck with the purchse :hello2:

Optically very much the same I think. The only downside I've come across with GSO newtonians are some doubts over the quality / longetivity of the overcoatings on their mirrors - I've seen quite a few which needed aluminising earlier than might normally be expected. This might have been remedied in more recent production runs though.

John may be right about the coatings, but I hope he's wrong because I have the 10 " GSO . I love it., the azimuth and alt motion is great. It has a dual speed focusser and a fan, not sure about the SW in that regard.

Good luck in your choice.

Bart

Thank you all for the advice.

I can't find a 10'' in my price range so it will probably be an 8'' SW. I believe that the difference between an 8'' and a 10'' won't make that much difference to a beginner. Certainly not £200 worth of difference. My current scope is a TS 6'' bird jones type scope. A real pain to collimate. So I think an 8'' will keep me happy for a few years.

On a similar topic are Orion scopes a good make. They come with a red dot finder for similar money as a SW.

I can vouch for the coatings on the SW250, had mine for over 5 years now and the coatings are pristine. My scopes are always at ambient ie they live outdoors in a observatory so are always subject to large temperature and humidity changes with no ill effect.

I have a 12" GSO and before that an 8" Skywatcher. I would say optically they are about equal but the GSO I have now is far and away better finished. I don't have it long enough to determine if the coatings are inferior but they look pretty good to me. This is an interesting thread on another forum regarding the optics... http://www.astronomyforum.net/reflector-telescope-forum/134853-who-actually-grinds-synta-gso-mirrors.html

Have the Orion version. Not that happy with the altitude spring sYstem to stop movement. Believe the SkyWatcher tension handles to be more effective but there are reports that when tightened, the altitude bearings are misaligned. Both cheapish 'scopes so one cannot expect perfection. Considering the Orion UK mount to cure my problem but £350?

Thanks to you all.

it would appear that there are pros and cons with all the major makes. I will just go for the best spec that I can afford.

I'm bidding on a 10'' Meade truss Dob on fleebay at the moment. I'll post if I'm successful.

Thanks again folks.

...I'm bidding on a 10'' Meade truss Dob on fleebay at the moment.....

Good luck with that - I used to have the 12" Meade Lightbridge.

They have GSO optics and mirror cells, the same as the Revelations and other GSO made brands.

The two GSO and two SW's I've had led me to the conclusion the optics are about on par, but the build quality of the GSOs leave something to be desired

I would agree. Although the optics are similar, I think SW just edge it on build.

It's arrived. Very good condition. The main mirror is very good. The secondary has a couple of small black marks but none in the middle. The truss tube is in very good condition and the scope moves smoothly. The focuser has the fine control knob on the side and is very smooth in action. I'm impressed with the build quality of the truss system. There are a lot of comments on all forums saying that there is no need for a truss system on a 10'' dob. I would disagree. This thing is very heavy although it will fit in a small car even when assembled.

One of the adjustment screws is missing from the main mirror (he did tell me). Anyone know where I can order replacements from? I have heard of Bobs Knobs who sells them?

I would post some pics but I have no idea how to to do it.

JC

Thanks Andy

I've found a shop here in Germany that stocks them. Not a bad price either. I'm still waiting for a reply to an email I sent them maybe you will know the answer. Are the screws the same type, size on all the lightbridges? They only list the screws for the 8'' on their web site.

Cheers

Jon

Archived