Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Shroud for SW Heritage 130P

I have noticed that a few people who have this scope have made a light shroud for it using 3mm thick black foam. Unfortunately most of the companies I have contacted only do black foam in 5-6mm thickness.

Does anyone know where I can source a 3mm foam please?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there's a local Hobbycraft I got some from there. Another option if handy with a sewing machine is garden weed material.

Moonshane, thanks for heads up on Hobbycraft but they only seem to sell small rectangles of soft foam and larger rigid foam boards.

I have thought about using something like the weed barrier material - or similar - but I wanted some thermal protection too as I was out viewing last Thursday night and the dew was awful. First time I'd ever experienced that and had to give up after an hour. Hope that won't happen every time I go out viewing!

They have the custom foam block, and I thought that would be possible.

http://www.efoam.co.uk/Spackaging.php

Naemeth, Maybe they could custom trim the thickness but they didn't offer that option - even though their website indicated that thickness was available when I got a quote. Maybe it was because it was a small order and it wasn't worth their while?

Naemeth, Maybe they could custom trim the thickness but they didn't offer that option - even though their website indicated that thickness was available when I got a quote. Maybe it was because it was a small order and it wasn't worth their while?

Well, that's me out of ideas...now I need a light shroud too. :)

EVA funky foam A3 sheets here

Peter

Thanks for that Peter but the sheets are too small. The 300mm would just about cover the open truss but the 400mm wouldn't go around the tube. Pity that, it's a lot cheaper than RS!

I've been looking at doing the same and have found these neoprene rolls. From the pics the look like they can be rolled up and description says 2-3mm thick so looks good for a shroud.

HTH,

Sion

Thanks Sion. Wet suit material? May be a good bet if I get dew again like the other night! :) Just wondering about the thermal properties though.

I have the same sort of thing in mind for my Heritage - I went to Decathalon Sports at the weekend and bought a dark grey yoga mat for £2.99. Its thicker then 3mm, but should insulate well.... being thicker, I guess it might not work out *quite* so elegantly, but I am going to attack it with a craft knife tonight and see what happens, so I will report back.

Cis

I like the ability to scrunch mine up into a ball/small space so will definitely be making mine from double layered garden weed material, with elasticated cord sewn in. these other options will certainly work fine though.

I've been looking at doing the same and have found these neoprene rolls. From the pics the look like they can be rolled up and description says 2-3mm thick so looks good for a shroud.

HTH,

Sion

Sion, slightly OT here (hope I don't upset the moderators) but could you tell me how you make your link read something other than the URL please?

Archived