Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 60D died

mikehab

I just had my new Canon EOS 60D die on me during a long-exposure. Bizarrely it seemed to completely lock up, even after the 30s exposure and was completely non-responsive with the mirror locked-up. Even turning the on/off knob to the 'off' position didn't make any difference - all the LCD display was still on and displaying numbers etc. even though it was switched to the 'off' position. Only option was to pull the battery, then even after re-inserting the battery (which was fully charged) it was as dead as a very-dead dodo.

Took it to Canon for repair under warranty - which they did very quickly and efficiently - however they said they don't bother running any kind of diagnostics these days - it's just not 'time effective' - so when they get a dead unit they simply replace all the circuit boards completely. So no way of determining what the actual cause was.

I've now got it back and it seems to be fully functioning again (which is great - thanks Canon!) - but I'm kinda scared to do long-exposure astro shots now in case I hit the same problem again.

Anyone else experienced (or heard of anyone experiencing) similar problems with a 60D?

Mike

Not a 60D, but my 40D died on me. It would turn on again but as soon as I pressed the shutter it would freeze and the power go. I had to pay to get that one repaired.

Mike, few months ago I borrowed one 60D from a local photo shop to test APT. The sample I had was one well used (50k shutter count) but still didn't experienced any problems with the long exposures.

Maybe the problem was in a bad circuit board and it is fixed. In your place I would test it. Your camera is an high end and you should use your warranty to get it fully fixed. Long exposures are something popular even for non astro imagers :)

One idea... Try to format the memory card to be sure that everything is fine there...

Yep - good idea.... certainly wouldn't hurt just to make sure the cards are healthy. The camera's still got another ~7 months warranty to run so I'll try my best to thrash it with long exposures again to see if I can provoke it into the same problem again. Obviously I'd rather it didn't - but if it is going to do it again then I'd rather it did it whilst still under warranty.

Interestingly, asking about this to friends/colleagues I'm hearing about a problem with the 5D where the mirror literally falls out. A surprising number of people have started reporting that allegedly.

Mike

Mikehab,

I had a similar problem with the 50d although it did'nt die completely. There may have been a problem with the data transfer to the card/PC corruption perhaps. The camera sometimes would appear to freeze when it was still trying to transfer data as it has a built in fail-safe so you can not accidentally shut the camera down while it is processing. Also check you have the camera drive set to single shot.

I would check your settings make sure you are shooting raw WITHOUT jpeg as it will try to process a jpeg from the raw data, which is unnecessary for a large astro image. Also write to PC direct from the camera can cause a problem if USB cables are too long and unpowerd.

I would advise against whipping out the battery, best to go have a cuppa and give it 10 min then see what happens.

hope any of this helps

Regards

Vic&Al

Archived