SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

16" Dob - Meade, GSO or SW

Hello all,

Am seriously considering a final push to permanently address the aperture fever bug :):eek::mad:. I know 16" is the biggest one I could ever hope to manage. It'll be mostly used at home as I have reasonable skies, NELM 5.7 at zenith.

I'm sure everyone has views on the pros and cons of the above Dobs, so any comments would be very much appreciated.

For the record, I have a GSO 10" Deluxe and have to say, I love it. The azimuth motion on the roller bearing is very nice indeed. Would the SW and Meade be as smooth? The SW looks the most expensive of the bunch. Any ideas why?

Very much appreciate your helpful input as usual.;)

Regards

Barry

The LB strips apart and is the most transportable. I can only speak from having the 12".

Thanks Tom. How do you find the focusser on the LB? Do you have any big EPs that go in there and how does it manage?

Thanks

Barry

Thanks Tom. How do you find the focusser on the LB? Do you have any big EPs that go in there and how does it manage?

Thanks

Barry

The focuser is rubbish. It works but it's not good I used a 31mm Nagler + 2" Powermate in mine (you aren't going to get much heavier than that) as I said it works but......I would replace.

I have used both the LB and the Skywatcher side by side and for portability reasons would pick the LB every time.

Not used the GSO, so I will make no comment on that one.

I've owned a LB 12" and would prefer a solid tube Skywatcher 12" over the Meade from my experiences with it. The Meade LB needed a lot of mods to make it really useful and I'm still not convinced that GSO optics are properly overcoated, judging by the number of relatively young GSO mirrors I've seen and read about needing re-coating ;)

Whether the above translates to the 16" aperture, I don't know. The 14" Flextube seemed a pretty massive affair when I had a look at one recently - the LB 16" may well be more manageable than the 16" Flextube despite my reservations over the optical overcoatings.

Thanks

Barry

I agree. The focuser is a weak point. Needs replacing ASAP.

I use a 28mm Panaview and it is fine, but not the best.

Also you may need a counterweight system.

The only reason I went for an LB is I can strip it down and fit it into the boot of the car and get the family in as well.

I haven't used the a Lightbridge so can't comment on that but I personally think the GSO represent much better value for money than the Skywatcher.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p43_GSO-Dobsonian-400-1800--Truss-Tube-Design.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-400p-flextube-dobsonian.html

Thats an almost 300 Euro saving! Add to that the better focuser, better accessories and superior alt/az bearings I personally think its a no brainer ;)

Teleskop Service are amazing to deal with.

I ordered the GSO 10" Deluxe as my Revelation 10 was getting a bit dated and I hated the spring tension system. The new ones have a better friction system and twin speed focusers. My only gripe was the black plastic tensioning knobs, replacing what used to be aluminium ones. After I mentioned it they contacted their service dept and made sure I got a spare pair of aluminium ones!

The scope and aluminium tensioners were delivered from Germany within 24 hrs of ordering. Amazing!

The 16" GSO looks a fantastic scope. Its what I'd have if i had the choice.

It's big though!

contacted Teleskop Service today, they were back in a flash saying they're not restocking the GSO 16" as they suffer from mechanical problems, trusses don't hold collimation well apparently . Ok, so, down to the LB or the SW , the LB is moving ahead.

Bart

Ok, so, down to the LB or the SW , the LB is moving ahead.

Hi

As I said I have had several sessions with both scopes set up alongside (admittedly the Skywatcher was the Goto version). There really isn't much in it TBH. Both have faults. Both have dubious quality focusers (and that's being kind to both) the Skywatcher finder isnt too bad but the Meades is no better than bin liner. Seeing as the Skywatcher was a Goto version it didn't move as easily as the Meade (not many things do). You could argue the Meade moves a little too easily. Both require counterweights with big heavy eyepieces.

I don't see the Skywatcher as a portable option but some (that are prepared to do flat pack cabinet building of the mount) do.

As the Skywatcher OTA is in one piece it requires more heavy lifting than the Meade. My observing buddy that owned the 400p couldn't lift it on his own. That's not saying the Meade is light.

Both are big and heavy I would deffinitily recommend you go and see them try them and try to lift them on your own before parting with any cash.

The Skywatchers eyepiece is positioned that you will deffinitily need a box to stand on, the Meades is better placed I could just look into it at the zenith by standing on tiptoes (I'm 5'11") on the ground.

Thanks for the input gents. Wont be travelling much so it looks like a bit of a clear out of the garage is in order.... watch this space.

regards

Barry

Archived