Narrowband

Thought I had I sussed and then I priced things up!

Thanks to much help from you guys and girls I thought I had decided on what first scope to buy.

SW Explorer 150p on an EQ5 mount.

However, because I have to buy the OTA and mount separately and the 200p EQ5 comes as a package they are a very similar price.

The obvious thing to do is get the 200p but what is the difference in ease of transport and storage?

I want to be able to take my scope to darker skies near home, camping, and very occasionally to Brittany in the car (only other option is ryan air ).

However its main use will be from my light polluted, very obscured back garden (there is a strong chance that I will soon be moving to darker skies).

Storage space is very limited, how much more does a 200 take up vs a 150p?

Thanks

TSW Explorer 150p on an EQ5 mount.

However, because I have to buy the OTA and mount separately and the 200p EQ5 comes as a package they are a very similar price.

You don't have to accept the published price. How about phoning up a few dealers and asking for a discount?

So long as your request is sensible, and you explain what you've said above then ISTM there's the basis for reaching an agreement. And if one dealer won't deal, there are plenty more.

BTW, it doesn't have to be a reduction in the asking price. You could ask for free delivery, or some extra toys (EPs, Telrad etc.) to sweeten the deal.

You don't have to accept the published price. How about phoning up a few dealers and asking for a discount?

So long as your request is sensible, and you explain what you've said above then ISTM there's the basis for reaching an agreement. And if one dealer won't deal, there are plenty more.

BTW, it doesn't have to be a reduction in the asking price. You could ask for free delivery, or some extra toys (EPs, Telrad etc.) to sweeten the deal.

Do you really think the dealers have the margins to enable them to do this ?. I don't think thats the case personally. You can always ask I guess ;)

Do you really think the dealers have the margins to enable them to do this ?. I don't think thats the case personally. You can always ask I guess ;)

I don't see why not.

A 150p OTA is about £60 less than a 200p, so it's not unreasonable to ask a dealer to sell the OP the config he's asking for and to maintain that price differential - rather than sell the two items separately for "a very similar price", which increases the margin.

I doubt that a 200P + EQ5 combo is any more difficult to put together than a 150p + EQ5 package. it's just a case of selecting which boxes: OTA and mount, to ship to the client - making sure the correct tube rings are included :eek:

All it takes is to call up a dealer who is advertising both a 200p + EQ5 and a 150p + <something> and asking them to change the 200p for a 150p for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the advice.

Settled on the 200P.

However, about five minutes later, she who must be obeyed rang from local mega garden center to tell me they had a scope on sale (a 130p on an AZ mount with some form of drive/goto 'it's got buttons'). And then remarked on how big it was, how was I going to store it etc.

So the 200P is going to cost me a lot more in flowers, chocs, weekends away and other assorted bribes ;).

Archived