Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question in regards to camera lenses

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

StevenG.

StevenG.

Nebula

• New Members
  • 14 posts
Hey, everyone. I have a question that is in regards to the Canon EOS Rebel XSI 450D.

I don't have a camera lense for it, since it is made to be attached to the telescope for astrophotography.

I'd like to also take pictures of constellations, star trails, etc. with the camera.

What would be an ideal camera lense for it? Any suggestions?

Steve Ward

Steve Ward

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7,234 posts
Can't help you with what to buy but can advise against the Sigma 70-300 apo dg for astro work. Great quality glass and price but as i found out a bit late its a very free-moving zoom. As soon as you point it above about 30 degrees it will creep out of position. Tried about 10 different ones when i took it back to retailer but all were the same so swapped for the canon 75-300, much firmer action and no slippage even at the zenith position.
Hope thats of some help.

JB80

JB80

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,489 posts
The best starting point would be the stock Canon 50mm lens or the 18-55mm that is available. Both are extremely useful for what you want to use them for and they are not going to break the bank either. There are other makes like Sigma that has been mentioned but be sure to double check that they are Canon fit lenses and not Nikon one.

I have an 18-50mm Sigma lens for my 450D and it's my most used lens at the moment.

Jarrod.

Skywatcher 150PL, Meade 88mm PST stage 1 mod, Celestron Astromaster 90

EQ 3-2, EQ 2, Vixen Polarie, Canon 450D, 20D, SPC 880(900), DMK 41

http://astropaz.weebly.com

RikM

RikM

Many Sequins

• Moderators
  • 7,432 posts
+1 for a 50mm prime lens. Short focal length and fast is what you want to start off with. Primes will usually be a better choice than zooms.

As a next step the EF 200-L has great reputation.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Rik
Skyliner 250PX; Explorer 150P; Televue Pronto; ST80; ES68°; Televue; Pentax XW; NEQ6 Pro; EQ3-2; AZ4; SXV-H9; QHY5; Canon 1000D: Sketches Deep Sky Images
Member of Cotswold AS "No anchovies unless otherwise specified. If conditions persist, consult your physician."

robster

robster

Nebula

• New Members
  • 31 posts
I have the EF 70 to 200 f2.8L and the EF 100 to 400 F4-5.6L - both are astounding lenses.

The former is a rotational zoom, and the latter is a push-pull, but with a zoom lock, so neither suffer from zoom creep. The only issue I have is that the 100 to 400 isn't totally weather sealed, and suffers from sucking dust - I have it services about once every 18 months to have it cleaned, but I've never had an imaging problem with them.

Both lenses are excellent quality and suffer little CA.

On the wide side of the scale, I use a EF 17 to 40 f4L (sharp) and a EF16 to 35 f2.8L (fast but sometimes not as sharp). Both are excellent lenses.

And the 50mm - my Canon 50mm EF 1.8 (Mk 1) is now over 20 years old - never let me down once, and probably one of the best 50mm lenses available. I paid about £50 for this when I bought it in 1990 - if I sold it on e-bay now, it would fetch around £140 - there's a very good reason for that, as they are highly sought after. Primes are always better than zooms, but the quality of a good prime is always reflected in the price.

Viv

Viv

Geek !

• Advanced Members
  • 3,114 posts

And the 50mm - my Canon 50mm EF 1.8 (Mk 1) is now over 20 years old - never let me down once, and probably one of the best 50mm lenses available. I paid about £50 for this when I bought it in 1990 - if I sold it on e-bay now, it would fetch around £140

I've got the cheaper plastic, but still great lens of this one.

Better still a can drinks cooler, fits on it perfectly, to stop it misting up.
Skywatcher Explorer 130 PDS & Skymax 127, EQ3-2 mount, Canon 7D DSLR

Rare female aviation geek, often found near Coningsby

themos

themos

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,454 posts
The one I'm dreaming of is this one

http://www.the-digit...ens-Review.aspx

Posted Image

Edited by themos, 11 May 2012 - 11:18 AM.

12" f/5  Dobsonian · 80mm f/6 triplet · 114mm f/8 Newtonian · 10x50 Bresser · 15x70 Revelation

PCVC740K · SPC900NC diy LX · modded 450D · Atik 16ic
300mm f/4.5 · 200mm f/2.8L · 135 mm f/3.5 · 55mm f/1.8 · 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
TV 2.5x Barlow · Nagler 12mm · TMB 3.2mm · Ortho 9/7/5mm · Lumicon OIII · Baader UHC-S · Astronomik CLS EOS-clip
EQ6 Syntrek/EQMOD · diy Autoguided EQ1 · diy ASCOM focuser · Binoflex ST50

Viv

Viv

Geek !

• Advanced Members
  • 3,114 posts

The one I'm dreaming of is this one

http://www.the-digit...ens-Review.aspx

That looks nice !
Skywatcher Explorer 130 PDS & Skymax 127, EQ3-2 mount, Canon 7D DSLR

Rare female aviation geek, often found near Coningsby

ollypenrice

ollypenrice

Supernova

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,524 posts
I've used a Samyang 85 and an EF200L with our CCD cameras, usually doing an Ha run in the mono and an RGB in the OSC.

A simple front aperture mask is a good idea so as to prevent the star spikes caused by stopping down internally. I only cottoned on to this idea recently. No spikes in M45!

Primes will beat zooms.

Olly

EF200L:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Samyang 85 (mosaic):

Posted Image

Focus is super critical so I use a Telescope Service micro adjuster.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice, 12 May 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays, teach and learn imaging, SE France.  TEC140 apo on Avalon Liner FR. 2xTakahashi FSQ106 tandem on Mesu mount 200.  TeleVue Pronto, ZS66, 6 inch achro. Other mounts, Takahashi EM200, 2 x EQ6. TeleVue Gibraltar and TelePod. CCD; 2xAtik11000 full frame, SXVH36, Atik 320E, Lodestar, DMK21. Leica bins. This kit is co-owned owned with Tom O'Donoghue and Yves Van den Broek. Host 4 scope robotic shed. www.sunstarfrance.com

Isn't it great that amateurs can get so close to the universe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users